Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TX5K QRV  (Read 6007 times)
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2013, 11:46:45 AM »

I've been listening to the pileup and trying to discern one call from the next...very humbling, and it provides at least a glimpse of what it might be like to be in their shoes. I hope to experience it someday for real...

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog

I was doing the same thing this morning.  The pileup was staggering to behold and just a solid din of notes.

And that's with all the beams pointed at Clipperton and not at you!

Jonathan W6GX
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2013, 02:16:56 PM »

All is right with the world. I worked them on 13 band slots yesterday, including 160m.

Is this an ATNO for you?  If so congrats!

Jonathan W6GX

It is. I have only had an HF radio for 2 years or so. #274
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2013, 04:03:24 PM »

I have been really impressed with the TX5K ops..
both CW and 'phone.

Harry, I've got to agree!  I listened to the pileups for a while this weekend, and was really impressed at how well the CW ops were handling HUGE pileups.   This afternoon I was driving home from work and heard the expedition on 17m phone, and the pileups were much smaller than on CW.  The op handled calls very efficiently, frequently gave his callsign and where he was listening, and worked the pileup fast and well.  GREAT op!  (And he heard ME in the pileup, which impresses me even more, considering I was running 80 watts to a hustler from a tiny car on the highway.)  ;-)  Great ops, great operation!  THANK YOU, TK5X!  :-)

K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2013, 05:29:32 PM »

And that's with all the beams pointed at Clipperton and not at you!

Jonathan W6GX

Exactly, and that huge EU pileup was that loud even off the back of my vertical which I had beamed on Clipperton!   Tongue
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2013, 06:15:48 PM »

THey have been like shooting fish in a barrel today! I feel like a big gun today!!

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2013, 06:43:02 PM »

The pile on 80 CW is pretty wide and deep but other that that, they've been very easy to work thus far. If they operate 160 phone I'll be trying that too but not much beyond.

Speaking of phone, their audio just plain sucks. Thin and no punch whatsoever. I've heard a few people commenting that the K3 has poor TX audio out of the box; I hope they can find the right settings for those radios before heading off to Heard.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2013, 06:44:47 PM »

I got them tonight on 15M on first call. Why is the spot coming up as Afghanistan?

AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2013, 06:49:16 PM »

The pile on 80 CW is pretty wide and deep but other that that, they've been very easy to work thus far. If they operate 160 phone I'll be trying that too but not much beyond.

Speaking of phone, their audio just plain sucks. Thin and no punch whatsoever. I've heard a few people commenting that the K3 has poor TX audio out of the box; I hope they can find the right settings for those radios before heading off to Heard.

80 CW took me 10 calls.  It was the worse so far...

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2013, 06:50:31 PM »

The TX5X ops are First Class!
It has been a real pleasure chasing them around the bands.
Yes, I too find the SSB sounds like crap. Can be much better. The CW is music, tho...

KF6ABU, #274 in two years is great work!

AE5X, you CAN be the DX if you want! I'm looking forward to my fifth DXpedition in a couple of months, this time to Norfolk I (VK9NT). Pileups won't be quite as huge, but it's a real BLAST being on the Sharp End!

Ok, I finally saw my little flag on DXA! Every other time it has not been working, or stopped when I logged in... Worked the last (ninth) band a few minutes ago, 10m, just before they finished on that band. DXA is a Beautiful Thing when it is working as intended!
GL and Have Fun!
Luke VK3HJ
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2013, 11:15:23 PM »

Why is the spot coming up as Afghanistan?

In HRD, I see that they have that prefix marked as secondary for Afghanistan. Not sure why.

73 de N4CR, Phil

Never believe an atom. They make up everything.
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2013, 10:48:43 AM »

Why is the spot coming up as Afghanistan?

In HRD, I see that they have that prefix marked as secondary for Afghanistan. Not sure why.

Probably because HRD needs to change the filter to properly handle some of the French (T) prefixes that seem to be predominant now. And I'm not sure if the French government has ever had a standardized set of prefixes for their off-shore possessions. For example, can anyone tell me for sure that TX will always be Clipperton, or TO4 will always be Mayotte, etc.?

John K7KB
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2013, 05:30:03 PM »

KF6ABU, #274 in two years is great work!

Its ALMOST 3 years now, but saying 2ish makes me sound more special.

THANKS!!
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: