Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: i HATE CONTESTERS!!!  (Read 6922 times)
K0IZ

Ignore
« on: March 02, 2013, 03:57:12 PM »

Actually I don't, but with the ARRL Phone DX contesting going on, I wanted to get the jump on those who, every contest, complain about the crowded frequencies.  So there ....
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 08:14:44 PM »

Many LIDs were heard on the Marine Mobile Service Net frequency.  Wait, that is nothing new!
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 07:06:40 AM »

I find that I always am able to get one or two new countries.  As well, I am able to get a feel for just how far I can call given the current propagation.  It also is a great opportunity to find out how to tune to block out stations that are too close.  Not to mention, 10 meters always seems to open up when the experts say it is closed.

Sam
W9KDX
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 10:36:52 AM »

I participated for a couple of hours and put a couple of hundred Q's in de log at PI4DX. Great fun but at times it was difficult to maintain a good run frequency.
We participated in the Multi Two category with just 2 and a half operators. We could have entered the Multi Single category but we are both not really keen on doing Search and Pounce.
I left hours before the end of the test (around 16:00Z) and we had about 2800 Q"s in the log.
When I left we were still missing Idaho and Nevada, must be tough to be a Ham in those state's Wink
Again, we had a great fun and we hope to hear you during the next one!
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 05:12:39 PM »

Picked up Mongolia and a couple of more countries. Picked up a couple more zones bringing me to 39 of 40. Need zone 26. It is hard for me with the 200 ft long wire. I will be putting up something to work those countries better. Any thing that is due north for me is tough. The double G5RV is not made to be rotated so I need something that will let me work due north better. I called B1Z for several minutes but no luck. Worked JT5DX which is on the same bearing. He was very patient getting the exchange . I am sure I filled several slots on 80 and 40. Also my first 160 EU contact. It was a good weekend!

WV4L

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 05:24:16 PM »

Had a great time chasing some of the multitude of countries participating.  I was only a half serious participant. I didn't put in a great amount of time in the contest but the time spent was fun and like others here picked up some new entities in the process.
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 05:52:52 PM »

Friday nite pm 20M I heard a DSØ, fairly weak but clearly Q5, calling and calling CQ with almost no responses.  I tried for about 45 minutes to no avail.  At the time the A index was 28.  Sat/Sun much better general propagation, but unfortunately no DSØ either.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 07:31:38 PM »

I was having a blast listening to the whiners on the 7.185 net not being able to talk. They actually seem to think that they have a reservation on the ARRL bandplan. LOL

I have a pee-shooter station. Yet, I had a blast on this contest chasing new countries on 80-40-10M. It was like fishing. Most people would think that is lame. I enjoyed it.
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 08:46:53 AM »

Mongolia, Clipperton Island, Burkina Faso, Cameroun, The Vatican ( no tips on who the new Pope will be tho)

to name a few good ones to be had.  Nice to see the dead bands alive with sigs.
KG8JF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 11:12:25 AM »

If I were still in the working world, I too would hate contesters/contesting.  As it is now, I am retired and can do all the operating I want during the week.  I say let them have their fun and for the rest of the world, try to find an open slot on 17M.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 07:35:13 PM »

Mongolia, Clipperton Island, Burkina Faso, Cameroun, The Vatican ( no tips on who the new Pope will be tho)

to name a few good ones to be had.  Nice to see the dead bands alive with sigs.

Yes but to me a 10 second or so QSO in a contest is not really "working" a country. I would rather "visit" for a while myself. Plus I love how everyone is allows 59 too.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 04:20:06 AM »

Yes but to me a 10 second or so QSO in a contest is not really "working" a country.

... and to me, ten seconds is one of those darned ragchews you just can't extract yourself from.  Smiley   Hey, I don't want to know what your weather is or what the doctor said about your colon!  Keep it short!  IMO the absolutely perfect exchange is, I send my call.  He sends "AC4RD 5NN BK"  I reply "R 5NN TU" and we're both off looking for the next one.  :-)

YOU don't have to operate that way, but I sure like it.  Wink
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 12:45:55 PM »

I participated for a couple of hours and put a couple of hundred Q's in de log at PI4DX. Great fun but at times it was difficult to maintain a good run frequency.
We participated in the Multi Two category with just 2 and a half operators. We could have entered the Multi Single category but we are both not really keen on doing Search and Pounce.
I left hours before the end of the test (around 16:00Z) and we had about 2800 Q"s in the log.
When I left we were still missing Idaho and Nevada, must be tough to be a Ham in those state's Wink
Again, we had a great fun and we hope to hear you during the next one!
And the PI4DX QSO's are greatly appreciated here! 

The op during the 10 meter QSO was a newly minted General, KB3ERQ, who was doing his first "solo" on HF (he's helped me operate contests before, but always as a logger, not as an operator -- his choice).  Ben had a blast! 
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 05:03:39 AM »

Hi Ronald,

Great to hear Ben had such a great time, please forward my congratulations to him for a job well done.
I can still remember my first test in '06 under the supervision of my Elmer, PA0ABM. I can't remember how many Q's I made but can't be more then a couple of hundred. Man, I was proud of my accomplishment.

I myself hope to become someones Elmer one day. Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: