Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your favorite DXing technique/tip?  (Read 3973 times)
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2013, 04:02:42 AM »

Here is where the DX cluster can be very helpful--it helps to make sure you aren't calling on top of another DX-pedition!  Make sure there isn't a big DX operation  up 5 if you are going to blindly call there! Of course, accidents do happen, not much you can do if a rare DX station shows up 1 kHz below another!

Zack W1VT

Doesn't the DXpedition have any responsibility at all to make sure the frequency is clear and another DXpedition isn't already transmitting where he will be asking stations to call?  That's why I don't understand why they list their transmit frequencies months in advance. The expedition does not have anymore right to those frequencies than anybody else, but naturally one station should move for an expedition. If it is a net who has been on the frequency for a long time good luck on getting them to QSY since most feel they own the frequency.

If two DXpeditions are that close one of them didn't checkout the band ahead of time and most of the expeditions now have some kind of internet service even in places you'd think not. If they don't have access to a spotting network there is an old-fashioned thing called listening to the band before transmitting.
An expedition should not be excused from the normal courtesies just because they are in some remote location.

BTW, I don't think I ever wrote that one should call blindly w/o checking out the frequency but if a DXpedition is transmitting on, say, 28.490 and asking for stations to call 5 to 10 up good luck in getting 1,000 stations to QSY if another expedition is there.

When I wrote sometimes a modest station should exceed the split range I was talking about a few hundred cycles, not 5 Mhz!

Chris/NU1O

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 04:13:59 AM by NU1O » Logged
V47JA

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2013, 04:52:29 AM »

My tips:

Listen
Work first worry later
Listen
Do what the DX says, he/she is in charge
Try to get a rhythm before you transmit
Did I say listen?
Work the contests if you want to up your numbers quickly
DXpeditions are almost always working split. Learn to use split effectively.
Tune up your antenna/rig/amp properly. Make sure you do it off the DX's frequency though. That extra bit of "oomph" can make all the difference in the world.
Use ClubLog to determine and track what you need.

And finally, the cluster can be your friend and your enemy. Listen first before transmit. A busted call can result in an invalid QSO and when you go to QSL you won't be wondering why you are NIL.

Don't rely on the cluster for split frequencies. The cluster is delayed information. By the time it shows up in the cluster the DX may have moved on. Also, once a split frequency is listed in the cluster you can be guaranteed that everyone is on it. Unless you have a really loud signal it is best to just transmit somewhere else within the DX's listening range.

As far as following the DX, YMMV. Sometimes they stay on a frequency and other times they move around. You have to LISTEN to determine what they are doing.

Right on the money. And do not forget to LISTEN.

John V47JA
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: