Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your favorite DXing technique/tip?  (Read 3510 times)
N8FNR

Ignore
« on: March 02, 2013, 06:25:46 PM »

I was wondering what your favorite technique is to work DX?

Here is mine. Lets say that some rare DX is on and I have been callling for sometime without success. I go and do something else for a while and try again later once (I HOPE!) that the pileup has toned down.

And guess what, my favorite tip is NOT to tune up on the DX when he is working split!

So what is favorite DXing technique/tip?

Zack
N8FNR
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 06:34:06 PM »

When P5/4L4FN was on the air, he had posted the frequencies he would be on - and by some time frame.

I worked him like he was a local on 10 and 15M SSB. I was in the first 3 that called him both times - and to this day - P5 was the hands down easiest "rare" entity that I ever worked.

I got Crozet and quite a few others this way.

I DID NOT wait until he was spotted on the cluster.
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 06:45:40 PM »

Best tip:  Listen and listen more.  Figure out the operator's technique.  Use it to your advantage while the masses continue to call blindly. 

The skilled operator from a weaker station will usually be able to beat out a poor operator from a loud station, at least on CW.

73, Dave KH2/N2NL
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 06:48:43 PM »

Listening and studying the operators pattern for 15 minutes before jumping into the fray.
Eg some ops say 5-10 up but they almost always stay 5up while other ops move the dial in predictable increments.
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 06:49:08 PM »

Get hold of both versions of The Complete DXer. Read 'em.

- WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 07:20:12 PM »

Another one is that I do not spot the DX until I have worked him.

N8FNR
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 08:42:31 PM »

Call CQ DX.  A buddy here had Wake and Timor Leste come back to his CQ.

Jonathan W6GX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 08:48:48 PM »

Here is mine. Lets say that some rare DX is on and I have been callling for sometime without success. I go and do something else for a while and try again later once (I HOPE!) that the pileup has toned down.

And guess what, my favorite tip is NOT to tune up on the DX when he is working split!

Zack
N8FNR

I have a question for you, Zack.  Is this tip meant for rare DXpeditons or just working any DX, and are you looking for SSB or CW tips, or both?  

The problem with taking a break, and it's a great idea if fatigue or frustration have set in, is with very rare entities the pileup is not going to subside in an hour or so. With some very rare entities, which have a lot of pent up demand, it may take a week for the pileups to thin out.

Chris/NU1O

NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 08:58:44 PM »

Call CQ DX.  A buddy here had Wake and Timor Leste come back to his CQ.

Jonathan W6GX

Tell your buddy to start buying a lot of Powerball tickets!  I have to call CQ DX often on 10 meters to stir up some activity and I have never had anything as rare as Wake or Timor Leste come back to me. It's typically very common countries which answer my CQ's. Sometimes somebody out of the Middle East or Africa will answer but that is not common occurence at all.

Now, if you have an idea when some rare DX will be on the air and also have a good idea as to their frequency, it doesn't hurt to call CQ DX with the hope that station answers but your buddy is a very lucky guy. The next time you see him try rubbing his head. Some of his luck may rub off on you.  Cheesy

Chris/NU1O

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 09:00:49 PM by NU1O » Logged
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 09:42:31 PM »

Call CQ DX.  A buddy here had Wake and Timor Leste come back to his CQ.

Jonathan W6GX

Tell your buddy to start buying a lot of Powerball tickets!  I have to call CQ DX often on 10 meters to stir up some activity and I have never had anything as rare as Wake or Timor Leste come back to me. It's typically very common countries which answer my CQ's. Sometimes somebody out of the Middle East or Africa will answer but that is not common occurence at all.

Now, if you have an idea when some rare DX will be on the air and also have a good idea as to their frequency, it doesn't hurt to call CQ DX with the hope that station answers but your buddy is a very lucky guy. The next time you see him try rubbing his head. Some of his luck may rub off on you.  Cheesy

Chris/NU1O

Hi Chris,

It's not luck.  The secret in fishing out the rare ones is knowing the propagation path to the rare places.  If you call CQ on 10m with your beam pointed towards Europe all you will get is EU.  This is not the right technique to work rare ones.

To get the rare ones Wayne calls CQ on 20m long path during grayline.  His station puts out a potent death ray on 20m and that helps too.  I wouldn't recommend one with a dipole calling CQ DX and expect Timor Leste to come back Wink

I got a first-hand experience of using the proper technique to fish out the rare ones.  On 2/14/13 I decided to join Wayne and we called CQ on 20m with the beam heading of 180.  First station that came back was KC4AAA.  I have worked the South Pole many times however it's always nice to catch one, perhaps it's a good sign of more goodies to come!  We had a nice ragchew with the operator named Boyd.  The second station was RI1ANU.  Oleg had just taken over the base on King George Island and he had just started using this new call sign.  Again we had a wonderful QSO with Q5 copy.  The third station we worked was Shaji VU3WIJ with a beautiful 59 signal.  The next station was from 4S.  However I didn't work him as he was just above the noise.  Wayne had no trouble copying the 4S station.

So there you have it.  I refuse to believe that 'luck' helped us on 2/14/13.  Perhaps we were lucky that we had good propagation on that day.  Wayne is a master at working DX.  As another local ham put it when you are around Wayne you feel like a 3rd grader in a high school boys locker room Cheesy

ps when we called CQ DX we had to be very selective in what we want.  We would say 'CQ DX beaming LP to the Indian Ocean'.  If we had just said 'CQ DX' we would get hoards of CE and LU stations.

Jonathan W6GX

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 09:47:29 PM by KF7BBJ » Logged
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 10:37:49 PM »

Use CW!
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 04:14:07 AM »

Zack
N8FNR

I have a question for you, Zack.  Is this tip meant for rare DXpeditons or just working any DX, and are you looking for SSB or CW tips, or both?  

The problem with taking a break, and it's a great idea if fatigue or frustration have set in, is with very rare entities the pileup is not going to subside in an hour or so. With some very rare entities, which have a lot of pent up demand, it may take a week for the pileups to thin out.

Chris/NU1O

Many times pileups have an "ebb and flow". If you are able to stick around long enough there is usually a period of relatively fewer callers before another burst of many callers. Sometimes its a very short period. And always beware of the jerk that spots the station and comments "not busy".  Angry I end up wishing he would hang himself with his dipole. (Not literally, of course  Grin)
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 04:27:13 AM »

If there is a long pause by the DX operator, and you have no idea where to call, pick the bottom edge of the pileup, say 1 kHz, or 800 Hz above his QRG (no closer or you will risk causing QRM).
When the pileup is solid, it is usually my practice (as the DX) to start at the bottom and work up till I find a clear caller, and I find others do too. Having a Panadaptor is the best thing for finding where to call (as the hunter).
If it is an SSB or RTTY pileup, I watch TV or read a book.
Bob W9KNI's books are great too.
Luke VK3HJ
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 06:50:34 AM »

Zack
N8FNR

Oh man, I feel terrible.. I did this by accident on top of the clipperton dxpedition last night along with transmitting my call! As a first time father with a less than three week old newborn I am finding out that sleep deprivation and radio don't mix too well. I received several emails.. Some friendly and some not so friendly late last night. My apologies to all! I definitely do know better not to ever do that.
KE8G

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 07:05:18 AM »

Zack
N8FNR

Jim,
First off.... CONGRATS on the addition to the family!  You will have your hands full for many years... get used to it!  My kids are all grown and on their own, but sometimes I still loose sleep with things going on in their and the grand children's lives!!!

Anyway, as far as tuning up... things happen and it is called an accident.  I would not loose any sleep over that!!  I just wonder how much QRM the cops caused after you finished... probably a heck of a lot more than you did!!!

73 de Jim - KE8G

Oh man, I feel terrible.. I did this by accident on top of the clipperton dxpedition last night along with transmitting my call! As a first time father with a less than three week old newborn I am finding out that sleep deprivation and radio don't mix too well. I received several emails.. Some friendly and some not so friendly late last night. My apologies to all! I definitely do know better not to ever do that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: