Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Better RF Tun Control 7000  (Read 2347 times)
N6JRZ

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2013, 07:12:24 AM »

I have a trouble shooting question for my fellow Hams. Before I get started however, yes everything is grounded and bonded as required for HF mobile operations!!

I recently purchased the Tune Control Unit for my IC 7000. Love the thing so far however, here is my question: It tunes up just fine on 75/80m, 20, 15, & 17. Why will it not tune up on the remaining HF bands? 40m is one of my favorite bands to work and the thing just refuses to do anything but remain in the Tune mode, yet my Little Taheel does nothing. I've done just about everything I can think of from using 10, 11, and 12 turns on the ferrite core provided with the unit to resetting everything only for it to work on just the bands mentioned above. I know the antenna works on all bands just fine because I used it with the manual controller. I am at my wits end here so I thought I would ask here before calling CS. I just hate talking on the phone and would rather talk on my radio!!!

Any and all help with this will be greatly appreciated!!

Best 73's de N6JRZ
W9MMS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 08:50:46 AM »

Have you Choked the "Control Cable " at the feed point?
How many turns through the Ferrite do you have?

http://www.k0bg.com/common.html#whattodo

http://www.k0bg.com/controllers.html

Hope this helps

((((73)))) Milverton.
N6JRZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 09:07:20 AM »

Tried all amount of turns, 10, 11, and 12. Currently have 10 turns on it and yes it is within 1 inch of the antenna feed point. I got it as close as I could to it!! I'll look at those links that you posted! Ty
N6JRZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 02:07:33 PM »

Well I went thru and tried what was suggested on Alan's site yet I have the same results. Will not tune up on any other bands other then those mentioned above. At this point I may just have to put the manual controller back on or just deal with having only a few HF bands to utilize. Disappointing to say the least. Read a lot of positive reviews on the product yet it is not doing as advertised, let me rephrase that, it is only doing half of what it advertises. Any other suggestions or shall revert to calling their CS? I read some where here that their CS is horrible and I have very little to no patience for incompetent or unruly CS people!!! Any other suggestions?

Best 73's de N6JRZ
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 06:07:36 PM »

I have run a couple of different screw driver antennas and can't understand why anyone needs to use any type of tune controller for this type of antenna.  Although I did have one on my first screwdriver, till it broke.  It does make tuning easier when going from 10 to 75 meters.  I just tune for max noise and then check SWR and bump it up or down and you are done.  I do this all the time and have saved what?  $150 or more?  They do not make tuning any faster.  Some times I land it just right and don't need even to readjust.  JMHO
Rick  wn2c
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 04:24:25 AM »

I have run a couple of different screw driver antennas and can't understand why anyone needs to use any type of tune controller for this type of antenna.  Although I did have one on my first screwdriver, till it broke.  It does make tuning easier when going from 10 to 75 meters.  I just tune for max noise and then check SWR and bump it up or down and you are done.

When you're driving down the road, being able to hit tune is far easier than tuning it manually. I've tried both ways.

As to the OP's question:

Had a similar problem with mine. Putting a clip on ferrite on the motor control lead where it goes into the Screwdriver Controller solved the problem.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 08:51:07 PM »

Joe, the company is now closed and there web site is down.  So contacting CS is en effort in futility.  What you may try is sending an email to Alan k0bg.  He may have some other info that may help. I take it you have both the tune control and the screwdriver controller?  Do you do have the head off the radio?  If you do, then make sure that little screw is in on the radio for the separation cable and use small split ferrites on the power cable(s) and power cable to the antenna at the antenna.  Make sure you have a choke on the coax. 
If you must use a controller, try the MFJ / Ameritron controllers. 
Good luck with it and hope you get it resolved.

Rick  wn2c
WL7HE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 08:30:21 PM »

I too have a Better Rf unit and had a few issues when first installing it. Mine now works fine on all bands . What I did not do at first was set the swr for each band. Once that was done all is well. You may try that if have not all ready, as for the debate about manual control or not, for me this is the way to go. Good Luck
W2RI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 08:36:14 AM »

Could it be that your antenna is very sensitive to plunger location? Perhaps it runs past the sweet spot before the controller identifies the low SWR and stops... Maybe adding in a power resistor to slow the motor might help...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: