Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Digipan or Me?  (Read 3344 times)
KF7ITG

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2013, 02:33:59 PM »

Just set up a PSK31 station one week ago with the following. IC-7000, SignaLink sound card, HP tower with dual core and tons of ram, Windows XP,  Digipan 2.0, Icom AH4 tuner, ladder line to an 80 meter dipole at 45feet.
I live in Tucson. I have had good contacts with Russia, Germany, Spain, Argentina, Dominican Republic, Italy,  Northern Ireland and many states.
My issue is...Digipan allows me to monitor about 27 different signals at once. Most of the time out of the 27 only 2 are readable the rest are just gibberish. It looks like a 2 year old is playing with the keyboard. Today I have been checking 20 meters off and on and have not found one complete readable contact all day long just a word here and there or a call sign that's it. I have been thought the set up instructions many times but I assume I have missed something. Night before last almost every signal was readable, not perfect by any means but readable. The other issue I have is the visible waterfall only covers the first 1/5 of the screen the other 4/5s remain black but the curser still pops into the black area indicating a signal is there???

Any help would be appreciated.
73. KF7ITG
James
VA3CDG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 05:08:33 PM »

The dark waterfall makes me think you are using a filter that is to narrow, I'd use a standard ssb filter for finding a target and only when I was settling in for a ragchew would I narrow it.

The weak sigs...well...try adjusting the levels from the signalink and make sure it is in a spot where you cannot accidentally brush the knobs with knuckles.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 05:34:25 PM »

There's a "squelch" control in Digipan.  Turn it _on_, and set the squelch level so that the "garbage" doesn't appear.

And the previous suggestion -- "filter too narrow" -- is probably right.   If you want to monitor the whole PSK31 sub-band, you should be seeing signals over about 2 kHz, say from (audio) 200 Hz through 2400 Hz, when you're tuned to 14.070.

.             Charles

PS -- and welcome to PSK31 !
KF7ITG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 09:16:53 PM »

A filter adj helped with the water fall, thanks. As far as the gibberish must be weak signals. I'll try a different antenna in the next few days and see what happens. Thanks again for the suggestions. And thanks for the welcome to PSK.

73 KF7ITG
James
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 08:56:59 PM »

check your audio input levels. I believe that the sound device is adjustable via digipan.

KF7ITG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 11:31:32 AM »

I built and installed a full wave 80 meter skywire loop antenna at 40 feet. What a difference. Good clear copy now.

73s
KF7ITG
VA3CDG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 08:20:10 PM »

I built and installed a full wave 80 meter skywire loop antenna at 40 feet. What a difference. Good clear copy now.

73s
KF7ITG

That's the ham way! you go girl! ummmm guy....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: