Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Koch morse training method  (Read 16083 times)
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 09:43:59 AM »

Random letter groups are meaningless and boring.

I suspect the various Koch-method trainers would all be more effective if, instead of spewing random characters, they produced random words, abbreviations and callsigns (using the subset of characters they're trying to teach at any particular stage) instead...

I suppose that eventually I will agree with AC2EU after I learn all the letters, numbers, and punctuation; but not right now.
I agree with M0LEP and can pass along this comment.
"JustLearnMorseCode" by LB3KB has this feature.
From the main-menu, use Source...Entered text; you can enter in whatever words, call-signs, etc you want.
BTW, I have no connection with this code other than being a happy user of one week.
73 Jerry KM3K
LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 06:08:34 PM »

"JustLearnMorseCode" by LB3KB has this feature.
From the main-menu, use Source...Entered text; you can enter in whatever words, call-signs, etc you want.

You may also want to explore the [/Source/Text lines] option.
It gives you a random selection of lines from a text file you provide.
Each line could contain a word, a phrase, a callsign, a QSO fragment, whatever you want.

The help file contains brief descriptions of most options, although it's probably not obvious how powerful some of the options are.

K4NL Sid
justlearnmorsecode.com
WA7SGS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 09:25:46 PM »

I love the Koch method!  It helps me learn the sounds instinctively instead of counting dits and dahs as I did over 40 years ago.  I take two or three tests every day and never worry about my score.  What I do see is that some of the characters come very easy, others fairly easy and then I have those which are mixed in my head (S, H and 5 especially).  I just let the sounds wash over me and figure as time passes, the hard ones become less hard, the fairly easy ones become real easy and the characters I have down pat stay that way.  Slow but sure is how I intend to win the race.

To me it's fun to practice and see the gradual improvement.  Some days I am really in the groove, others see me way down but as time passes, the good times will outnumber the bad.  Water vs rock!

Rick
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: