Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbee needs help, Software support for kenwood and icom rigs see ......  (Read 2196 times)
K1PAS

Ignore
« on: March 04, 2013, 07:59:43 AM »

Hi folks K1PAS here, i have in my arsenal of radios a ts-940sat, Ic-737a, ts-430s, and some others misc... I see other Hams using software that support their radios via computers that seem to do a lot from controlling and keeping logs and so forth , in the meaan time i think ill focus on the 940sat as my main set unless others have positive feedback, I know i don't have a lot of expectations for the aged radios i have but i sure don't want to make a financial mistake at this point, i been looking at GRig II but seems to be lacking can anyone please steer me in the direction of a good and quality software i can use ? thanks and 73s.
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 05:34:21 PM »

Control of those radios and logging by computers isn't SDR.  You would probably get better answers to a question like this over in the station building forum. There are actually a lot of free logging programs out there that will give you varying degrees of PC control of the radio. BTW, even given it's age, the 940 is a fine radio still.
Michael, W4HIJ
PJ2BVU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 08:05:25 PM »

Visit:
http://www.dxlabsuite.com/
Excellent and free.

Jean-Claude PJ2BVU
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 10:00:04 PM »

HIJ is right, SDR is where software is about one half of the radio. The Elmers forum might be a good idea for this question.
You are looking for supporting software on one side. This would be independent from the type of radio. The software for actually working together with a radio should first be found in the manual. On top of this you can find open source software searching the web. So check out what your particular radio allows to do and then locate the software. Many radios are represented in Yahoo groups where you also can find a wealth of hints from experts.
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 12:57:09 PM »

Visit:
http://www.dxlabsuite.com/
Excellent and free.

Jean-Claude PJ2BVU
I agree about DXLab, that's what I use. There are also a lot of folks who like Ham Radio Deluxe. It used to be free but unfortunately it's turned into payware. I always thought it tried to do too much but maybe now that it commands a price, the developers are cleaning it up a bit.
Good luck and 73,
Michael W4HIJ
AI4HO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 08:35:31 AM »

If you are looking for a decent logging program with CAT control, check out LOG4OM by IW3HMH, (www.pisto.it).  I have used N3FJP's programs for years, but have found the lack of CAT control a little lacking.  To be fair, Scott does offer CAT control for a lot of different rigs, but for my ProIII there is an awful lot of work to get it to work.  Not so with Daniele's program, he did not come up with this by his lonesome, or maybe he did, he also has had a lot of help with the programming as well.  That said, this nifty logging program also offers real time DX spotting, with user input available, it also has if you have the proper rotator, rotator control.  An awful lot of convenience's for a "simple" free program.  Oh... did I mention the built in contest logging program as well, simple click of the mouse and wil switch to a contest logger, can also have not just your station and call, but if you have other members in the household who are hams, they can have their own log as well, not to mention if you have a club or contest call, well, there ya go, pretty all encompassing program.  DX Lab Suites is another good one too, a few too many add ons for my taste, still have it as well as another one or 2 logging programs.  Just wanted to find an alternative to Scott N3FJP's great set of various logging programs, bought his CD 4 or 5 years ago, used it for our club's FD one year, Scotts programs are free for the first 10-15 days, then there is a nominal one time fee you pay, you get the passcode and its yours for life.  Scott has excellent contest logging programs as well, You can Google Amateur Contact Log or his web site www.n3fjp.com hope this helps all.

73 de Mark
AI4HO 
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 11:52:55 AM »

I see other Hams using software that support their radios via computers that seem to do a lot from controlling and keeping logs and so forth , in the meaan time i think ill focus on the 940sat as my main set unless others have positive feedback,

For CAT control of the 940 you will need a Level Converter/Interface Board.
Kenwood made one for the 940 but they are now scarce as hen's
teeth. Most folks use the Piexx unit made specifically for the 940:
http://www.piexx.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=20

It uses a DB9 connector. Since most newer computers don't
have Serial Ports anymore, you will also probably need
a Serial-USB converter cable. If you are running Windows 7 or
better, suggest you make SURE you get a cable with the FTDI
Chipset and drivers .
I know I sure had problems with generic Serial-USB cables
on WinBlows 7 that worked just FINE with XP!

GL with your CAT setup and 940.
I own a 940 but have never tried CAT control of it.
I DO sometimes use CAT control with my PROII and HRD.
73, Ken  AD6KA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: