Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RFI from Phillps LED Street Lights  (Read 3115 times)
W2MV

Ignore
« on: April 26, 2013, 11:03:48 AM »

Has anyone had a problem with this? When the lights come on at night, I get broadband RFI on 20-15 meters.  Thanks.
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 08:10:15 PM »

I have been testing Phillips and Cree led bulbs and so far everyone tested has wiped out the upper portion of HF, 40 to 170 MHz and to a lesser degree 180 to 359 MHz. 

My test started when I discovered that avionics receivers being tested in my professional Lindgren screen room were off in sensitivity by 30 DB or more.

Further investigation showed that my facilities engineer installed some Phillips led bulbs and then replaced the Phillips with Cree led bulbs that were just as noisy, my final solution was to go back to incandescents.

What worries me is the excessive noise in the 108 to 137 MHz range, A's I said it degraded the sensitivity on a commercial aviation NAv receiver between 108-118 mhz and a similar transceivers receiver between 118- 137MHz.

It appears to be the switcher/ converter creating broadband noise.

We need to worry just as much about led lighting as we do the recent FCC bpl ruling, both are destined to create serious problems for hams and aviation users.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: