Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GCFI outlet popping on transmit  (Read 5555 times)
NK9N

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2013, 07:09:05 AM »

Whenever I run my linear on 40 meters using a wire loop, it pops the GCFI circuit in my master bathroom.  Doesnt happen on 20 with hex beam.  And ideas on a fix?  The loop is over the roof of the house by about ten feet.  Ferrite on the GCFI leads?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 08:09:44 AM »

Move the antenna farther away from the house or try a better quality GFCI breaker. You probably won't have room to add a significant amount of inductance (turns on ferrite beads) for HF inside the typical outlet box.

WB2EOD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 06:30:09 PM »

I've had the same problem.  I agree with AA4PB.  If the GFCI is more than a few years old, it may be more sensitive to RF than a more recent one.  Try a different brand.  Also try to get the antenna further away. 

Hope this helps

WB2EOD
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 02:30:46 AM »

Ran into this too. Agree with WB2EOD. Older GFCIs are susceptible to RFI. The UL standards were amended a few years ago to include better EMC testing. Replace it with a new, name-brand one and you should be OK. (I installed a Leviton.)

73, -WX2S.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 02:37:33 AM by WX2S » Logged

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
AE7VT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 09:17:29 AM »

Be sure you get a US made GFI.  There are some imports that have UL and CSA labeling but, they are junk and a lot of counterfeit GFI's came into the U.S. a couple of years ago.  Brands like Leviton, Pass & Seymour or Hubbell are the ones you should use.  Also, be sure if you have a 'pass-through' or end-of-circuit type.  The pass-through types protect all down-stream receptacles and have connections for the downstream circuit, end-circuit GFI receptacles do not have provision for 'pass-through' circuit connections.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 07:52:13 PM »

I had the same problem. Replaced GCFI with a new one from Home Depot. Problem solved.
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 09:42:36 AM »

You can try a better breaker but often when the house is under or inside a loop RFI is inevitable.
It is recommended not to run a loop with the house inside its circumference.

FYI

K7RNV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 10:05:10 AM »

Grin I had the same problem and replaced the gfi with a high end one, problem gone...............
W2MV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 11:01:56 AM »

After some electrical work in 2011, two new GFCI outlets popped the first time I transmitted on 40 meters. The 40 M dipole is close to the house. I called the installing electrician who promptly replaced them and the problem went away. If I remember correctly only 5 mA of leakage current may trip them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: