Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scorpion, DK 3 AND all other Screwdrivers. ??  (Read 2623 times)
N6AJR

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2013, 09:25:34 AM »

I recently heard a rumor that just before his passing Mr. Don Johnston , innovator and inventor of the DK-3 antenna, gave written permission to the Ron, guy who runs scorpion antennas, to build his version of the screwdriver. As most hams know, almost all screwdriver antennas are build on the patented DK-3 screwdriver.

Now I hear that this gentleman is suing all of the other screwdriver antenna builders with a cease and desist order as the only one with written permission to build the.  I do not know if its true and am curios to find out if this is just a rumor, or if in fact it is the truth.

Don was a super ham and he and his wife were both a kick in the pants when I met them at W6OMF's yearly get together. He is sorely missed.  This is not trying to instigate trouble, I am just trying to find out one way  or the other.

tom N6AJR
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 11:11:26 AM »

Tom,

Haven't heard about this. Where did you get the info?

I own a DK-3 (bought from Don years ago) and it is a great mobile antenna. I have worked lots of DX on it. In fact, I worked 3Y0X on Peter I Island using the DK-3 and an FT-100D mobile on 40M.

I also have all 3 of Don's treatises on HF Mobileering. I would HIGHLY recommend them to anyone who does or is planning on doing any HF mobile ops. I also have a prototype remotely tunable antenna (prior to the DK-3 and the screwdriver design) that was given to me from the son of a friend of Don's who reportedly gave Don the idea to use a screwdriver motor to tune his antennas. Not sure if that is all really true but it is a neat antenna design.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 11:44:00 AM »

I have heard Don say that he actually got the idea from an old ham buddy who did a different tuneable antenna way back when.  I have several of his books including a signed copy of hf mobilering.  I sure miss him, and his wife was a funny lady. nice folks, Its been a couple of tough years with Don and Larry both gone.  Gods Speed my friends.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 11:36:00 PM »

My copy of Don's first book on HF Mobileering was also given to me by the guy that gave me the antenna. It was also signed by Don. I never met Don but I did speak to him on the phone once when I was setting up my mobile station. Very knowledgeable and a pleasure to talk to.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 08:35:55 AM »

Now I hear that this gentleman is suing all of the other screwdriver antenna builders with a cease and desist order as the only one with written permission to build them. 

If he is I think I wouldn't be buying a Scorpion Antenna any time in the future. Usually when a small company starts to do this kind of stuff in a field where things have been built for a decade or so using that tech it is because said company doing the suing isn't doing very well and is trying anything to get money coming in.
NI7J

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 04:11:17 PM »

Well gentlemen, let me clear the air. We have not and will not file any type of lawsuit as RUMOR has it. The Scorpion Antenna business was put forth as a part time retirement project. My wife and I are employed full time, we make a very comfortable living and we don't need to file law suits for extra cash! Please go to our site and read ABOUT US!

Don Johnson was the ham of all hams. He was a good friend and mentor, he is missed a lot!

The next time you guys hear any RUMORS about Scorpion Antennas, please call me, I will be more than happy any question you have about anything, well, anything but the love life.

Ron Douglass NI7J
Scorpion Antennas
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 06:08:02 AM »

Catfish, your rumor is self-aggrandizing to say the least, and reeks of ravings from your antenna-building neighbor down the street.

G7DIE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 06:27:22 AM »

Well gentlemen, let me clear the air. We have not and will not file any type of lawsuit as RUMOR has it. The Scorpion Antenna business was put forth as a part time retirement project. My wife and I are employed full time, we make a very comfortable living and we don't need to file law suits for extra cash! Please go to our site and read ABOUT US!

Don Johnson was the ham of all hams. He was a good friend and mentor, he is missed a lot!

The next time you guys hear any RUMORS about Scorpion Antennas, please call me, I will be more than happy any question you have about anything, well, anything but the love life.

Ron Douglass NI7J
Scorpion Antennas

You might not use facebook, but if eham had a like button I'd have pressed it right here, thanks for taking the time to clear the air Wink
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »

Thanks Ron, I appreciate the information. I was asking an honest wurstion, looking for this exact answer. I too had contact with Don many times, have several of his books and on DK 3 on the truck and a spare in the garage. I really enjoyed Both Don and his wife, and miss them a lot. And by the way, you build a very solid, and most effective antenna.

and Alan, I was not self-aggrandizing to say the least, and reeks of ravings from your antenna-building neighbor down the street, I was trying to find out the real truth. I don't understand the remark of a friend down the street.  I live on a court, there are only m8 folks on  the court and none of them were hams.

My apologies if this was construed as a troll It was meant as an inquiry. and thanks for the answers.

tom
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 12:13:27 PM »

Tom. it was the way it was worded.

The antenna company down the street is HiQ.

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 03:30:04 PM »

Folks. I believe Ron and probably contacted him directly, but again, thanks for the info.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 03:32:09 PM »

the computer messed up that should have read "probably should have contacted him directly"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: