Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any homeopaths in the house?  (Read 3897 times)
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 10:46:39 AM »

My biggest  concern would be to make sure the homeopathy was not interfering with my RF.

Dale W4OP
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 10:25:30 PM »

So, I just came back to this thread after posting the question, and I was surprised to see it stretching over two pages.

Well, my wife and I had several good laughs, the best one from Dale W4OP's post.

Now, as one anecdote on the impact of electromagnetic energy, here is what my wife experienced: she left a container of apis (12c) in her shopping bag, leaning against the computer tower for approximately one hour. When she needed it later to remedy a bee sting, it didn't work. She then got to a second container of apis that was kept in her regular shelf, and that took care of the issue.

Looks like there is no homeopath in the house yet. But thank you for trying to keep us entertained.

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 04:12:44 AM »

she left a container of apis (12c) in her shopping bag, leaning against the computer tower for approximately one hour. When she needed it later to remedy a bee sting, it didn't work. She then got to a second container of apis that was kept in her regular shelf, and that took care of the issue.

Well, that's certainly unassailable scientific evidence, no doubt about it.  Well designed double-blind randomized trials (none of which have *ever* shown any benefit of homeopathic tinctures over placebo) don't hold a candle to this sort of well-documented anecdotal evidence.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 04:22:58 AM »

Re: KG7BJM  Reply #16

Non Pectium based computers will have this negative effect on abutting apis,but it should be ok with an Apple.
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 06:23:18 AM »

so, thanks to google i now know that confusing homeopathic remedies with herbal remedies is a huge mistake. oops  Grin

Homeopathy is completely unproven, whereas pharmacology has its roots (pardon the pun) in herbal medicine (the classic example being aspirin coming from willow bark). 
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 07:21:38 AM »

Arno KG7BJM,

In the interest of keeping the peace, perhaps you can just make or buy a Faraday Cage for her to safely store her "medicines". There are some demonstrations of how a Faraday Cage blocks rfi on youtube that you can show her:

http://wiki.backyardbrains.com/Experiment:_The_Faraday_Cage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPt5jjYoXvE

Gud Luck,
Ray KJ6AMF
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 07:57:44 AM »

BJM:  That's great!  And I was trying to keep everyone nice while at the same time my brain was screaming with all kinds of nefarious comments!  The later caused two sleepless nights!
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 08:46:14 AM »

ask Wayne Green... Smiley
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 09:13:50 AM »

she left a container of apis (12c) in her shopping bag, leaning against the computer tower for approximately one hour. When she needed it later to remedy a bee sting, it didn't work. She then got to a second container of apis that was kept in her regular shelf, and that took care of the issue.

Well, that's certainly unassailable scientific evidence, no doubt about it.  Well designed double-blind randomized trials (none of which have *ever* shown any benefit of homeopathic tinctures over placebo) don't hold a candle to this sort of well-documented anecdotal evidence.

You appear to know more than I, if you have seen those referenced "well-designed double-blind randomized trials". Please provide a source. I have an open mind and am always eager to learn more.

Oh, and I did say that our account was anecdotal. I do know what that means in a scientific context. So what was your point again, then?

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2013, 09:45:07 AM »

Re: KG7BJM  Reply #16

Non Pectium based computers will have this negative effect on abutting apis,but it should be ok with an Apple.

Grin

In my first draft of my reply #16, I did utter a doubt whether a mac might have prevented the damage. I didn't think of Apples, though. Nor of oranges.

Oh, and then I had a lot more in that first draft. You know, the kind of stuff one says before one calms down and returns to civility  Wink

Arno KG7BJM,

In the interest of keeping the peace, perhaps you can just make or buy a Faraday Cage for her to safely store her "medicines".

You're right on. And I sense your attempt of humor. It is all good. Now, let me introduce a new concept. Let's assume you have an irreplaceable treasure at home, say, a bottle of Chivas Royal Salute (the last one existing on earth), or a QSL card from an entity from the Messier 81 galaxy, and you have reason to believe they might spoil or rot in your hot and humid climate, would you not want to find a way to keep them safe?

Quote from:  link=topic=88511.msg658702#msg658702 date=1362758264
BJM:  That's great!  And I was trying to keep everyone nice while at the same time my brain was screaming with all kinds of nefarious comments!  The later caused two sleepless nights!

Thank you for your good intentions, but no worries, knock yourself out. I am no longer expecting any serious contributions here.

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 09:48:16 AM »

if you have seen those referenced "well-designed double-blind randomized trials". Please provide a source. I have an open mind and am always eager to learn more.
...I do know what that means in a scientific context. So what was your point again, then?

My point is that homeopathy is pseudoscience.  There is NO credible scientific evidence for it, though the assorted homeopath salesmen keep pretending otherwise.  And for the record, I'm not a doctor, but I HAVE worked in the data end of medical research for 24 years and know the difference between evidence-based medicine and "smoke and moonbeams."

A systematic review of systematic reviews of homeopathy
E. Ernst*
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 54, Issue 6, pages 577–582, December 2002

Impact of Study Quality on Outcome in Placebo-Controlled Trials of Homeopathy
Klaus Linde1, , Michael Scholz2, Gilbert Ramirez3, Nicola Clausius1, Dieter Melchart1, Wayne B. Jonas4
Journal of Clinical Epidemiology
Volume 52, Issue 7, July 1999, Pages 631–636

A Double-blind, Controlled Clinical Trial of Homeopathy and an Analysis of Lunar Phases and Postoperative Outcome
Josef Smolle, MD; Gerhard Prause, MD; Helmut Kerl, MD
Arch Dermatol. 1998;134(11):1368-1370.

Homeopathic Arnica 30x Is Ineffective for Muscle Soreness After Long-Distance Running: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial
Vickers, Andrew J. M.A.*†; Fisher, Peter M.D.‡; Smith, Claire Ph.D.*; Wyllie, Sheena E. B.Sc.‡; Rees, Rebecca M.Sc.*†
Clinical Journal of Pain:
September 1998 - Volume 14 - Issue 3 - pp 227-231
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 09:53:05 AM »

KG7BJM, I'm sorry, I've gone on too long about this.  If you'd like to email me off this public area I can tell you exactly WHY this kind of snake oil irks me so much.  But I'll stop making a fuss about it in this forum.   ac4rd  ( myfirstname . lastname at duke dot edu if you want to discuss it.)
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2013, 10:24:46 AM »

ac4rd, thank you for the bibliography. I will look into it and also forward that to my wife and maybe have her contact you off forum to start a meaningful exchange on this. I am too uneducated in this matter. Hey, maybe it really is all just a placebo effect. But boy, it works for me.

I completely agree with N3DF [who said non-ionizing radiation would have no effect here]. I knew of a store specializing in homeopathic remedies that was less than 0.25 miles from a 1 KW AM broadcast station and had no concerns about the effectiveness of their products.

Thank you for this bit of support. I would think a store owner full of such merchandize would be concerned if there were an impact of that station's radiation. What I don't know is how such radiation (1 kW AM from <400 meters) compares to VHF/UHF radiation of 5 W from a distance of 9 m. Anybody?

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2013, 02:05:10 PM »

A local homeopathic remedies shop was established right next to a 400' tall broadcast tower transmitting with 100kW output in the shortwave bands.

Everyone wondered if the transmitter would have an effect on the various remedies, until one day it was verified it had a huge detrimental effect.  That was when a tornado came along and made the tower fall over on the shop, destroying most of the building and all the inventory.

That may be anecdotal, but I think it's strong evidence.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »

More seriously, to what extent do homeopathic remedies work because the users believe they will work? Psychosomatic effects?

If I believe that working a genuine KP1 will make me feel better, by heck I'll try. Because, it being my last country for #1 Honor Roll, I damn well WILL feel better!
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: