Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Web App Feedback  (Read 2806 times)
AG6TC

Ignore
« on: April 28, 2013, 12:01:14 PM »

So, I seem to have this habit of doing things completely backwards.

Example 1: I waited for ever to actually get a ham license because of the Morse code requirements (like 30 years) and now that I have a license I decided I want to learn CW after all.

Example 2: Then I poked around on line, and didn't find any software I liked (didn't want to load up a VM on my max or Linux boxes) and so I decided to write one myself. Writing software to teach myself something I don't know seems completely nuts, no?

It's not full featured - I'm just planning on using it to get the letters, and then switch to live sources  for further practice. But, because I'm flying blind here, I think I could use some input as to whether it's completely off base, or what small improvements might have a lot of bang for my buck.

It only works with Chrome and Safari Browsers at the moment, but if you've got either one of those installed I'd appreciate some  feedback. The url is http://ag6tc.cultureshark.net/morse/.

TYAIA.

(Oh, and if you want to poke fun for reinventing the wheel, go right ahead. Wouldn't be the first time...)
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 12:23:30 PM »

waited for ever to actually get a ham license because of the Morse code requirements (like 30 years) and now that I have a license I decided I want to learn CW after all.

I've got NOTHIN' to say about the main questions, and I'll take a look at the web app later this week when I have some spare time.  But I wanted to say you're on the RIGHT track as far as having fun.  :-)  I wanted to get my ticket when I was a lad, but waited until I was in my 30s because the one-year nonrenewable Novice license at the time scared me.  :-/  I finally got a first license in 1991, when they had rearranged the rules, but I then spent my first year working 10 and 15-m CW, and having a hoot! 

Didn't do much morse after that first year, until 3 years ago, when I started having a neuromuscular problem that limits my ability to send by hand. And also started doing a lot of portable and QRP work, using CW, despite the problems.   Doesn't matter! CW is still FUN! RTTY is FUN!  And PSK is FUN!  I'm embarrassed when I can't say something using the  memories in my keyer, because my muscles don't work very well ..  but I'm having a WORLD of fun with CW even at my advanced age.  And it sounds like you've got the RIGHT attitude to having FUN with your new ham license, too! 

One bit of "Old Phart" advice, if you'll forgive me:  Once you have the letters learned, you'll learn MUCH faster if you actually get on the air and USE CW.  It's not practice when you do that, it's PLAY. :-)  And it's a world of fun.  Give it a try, and you'll have a great time!  Almost all hams will be GLAD to slow down to your speed, and we'll be delighted to have you joining the fraternity!  :-)  So when you feel halfway ready, fire up the rig and answer a CQ--answer at the speed YOU are comfortable with.  The other ham will reply, 99 times out of 100!

Have fun, OM, and congratulations for giving it a try!  73 de ken ac4rd!
AG6TC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 08:44:12 PM »

Hey- thanks for the note.

I'm up to four letters. That makes me feel kinda stupid. While I do it, I feel addled, like everything is happening either slightly in the future, or slightly in the past, and I can't tell the difference. I added a passive mode to the app, so it'll just spit the letters out and I can listen for em without having to try to copy them, and I'm finding that changing up speeds before I add a new letter helps cement the older ones a bit to keep the fluster level down.

It makes my head hurt, but I aint quit yet.
BOJANY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 11:06:50 PM »

Hi.
Nice effort. Bit why bother. There is already very good site for learning CW: www.lcwo.net  Wink
If you like to program, than it is ok. Otherwise, spend time for learning CW  Grin

Regards, B
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 07:28:06 AM »

I think this is AWESOME! It's very straightforward, yet flexible. I can go through an entire practice session without messing with a lot of settings. I can just click one button and go, and the fact it automatically advances in difficulty as you master letters is excellent. I've bookmarked it and will be using it for my code training. Thanks!
K4KRW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 05:58:35 AM »

Very nice!  What you have written is very simple and fun to use.  Thanks for sharing. 
Richard - K4KRW
AG6TC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 10:13:33 PM »

Thanks - I'm glad y'all are using it. I'm slowly plugging along.

Added a passive mode where it just sends without requiring you to copy, so you can keep it in the background and just listen for letters.

Also added a dictionary, to throw in words that are appropriate for whatever level you're at.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: