Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Band seems to be making its seasonal change on 15 meters  (Read 2639 times)
NU1O

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2013, 08:20:07 AM »

I worked an Indonesian station this morning on 15 meters and she was quite strong. I had to break the wall of Europeans but managed to do so relatively easily. I heard another YL from YB on but she was only 55 and I couldn't break the wall to work her. There was also a Chinese station I saw spotted but I wanted to actually hear the call before I called and I never did as he went QRT not too long after I QSYed to his frequency. Signal strength was about 559.  I have found over the years that Indonesia really comes in strong around our spring and fall on 15 meters and although I have not spent a ton of time on 15 meters of late I haven't worked a lot of Indonesian stations since last August. When the band opens up to YB they often have propagation very late locally. I have worked them until 1 to 2 AM their local time.

I aimed the beam right over the pole and called CQ DX for Asia and although I had a few UA9 stations come back I was soon swamped by Europeans. Since there is no way of stopping the European stations from calling, even if you limit your CQ DX to a region, I just tossed in the towel and worked about 50 European's in an hour and a half.

Band conditions were great. Guys running 100 Watts to simple dipoles were S9 and the guys with beams and amps were 20 over S9.

For those who like to work South East Asia from my part of the US, I think the 15 meter band is making its seasonal change.

Chris/NU1O
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 08:22:27 AM by NU1O » Logged
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 08:59:59 AM »

I don't get on the radio much in the mornings but I do know 15m is excellent to Asia in the evening. I worked Jimmy BX5AA in the evening and he was S9 at the propagation peak. We ragchewed for 35 min until his signal faded.  Last night XU7ACQ was working NA from the West to East  You are correct that this is a seasonal thing.

Here in CO we also have good propagation to VU in the morning and evening.  K0YQ reported that he just woked a 9M6. A 9M0 dxpedition is underway so that's good news for them.

Jonathan W6GX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 09:18:04 AM »

Here in CO we also have good propagation to VU in the morning and evening.  K0YQ reported that he just woked a 9M6. A 9M0 dxpedition is underway so that's good news for them.

Jonathan W6GX

I just worked Patel, VU2XO, whom I have worked many times and he was probably the strongest I have heard him at 59.  VU2DK was even stronger at 59+10 but he was in QSO with a German station.  There are guys from India who come in strong all the time, like VU2PAI, but I have never worked VU2DK before.

15 meters is in FB shape today.  HZ1PS, from Jedddah is 59, as well.

I don't usually get on at night or in the middle of the night anymore but I added Clipperton on 30 meters at 0944Z. He was at least 10 over 599 and had few US takers.  I have them on every band now 160 through 10 which is unusual for me since I don't usually work the low bands.

Chris/NU1O

W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 04:22:17 PM »

It's only going to get better over the pole between now and mid-May, and should still be usable until early June. Most of my rare Asian entities were worked between Feb. and May.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 04:32:29 PM »

It's only going to get better over the pole between now and mid-May, and should still be usable until early June. Most of my rare Asian entities were worked between Feb. and May.

Nepal is the last common Asian entity I need and it's a polar path for me.  Nepal is outside of the top 100 most wanted list and yet I never hear them.  What's the deal with that Huh  I might have to resort to a sked with a resident ham if there's such a thing in Nepal.

Jonathan W6GX
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 04:40:24 PM »

I only have 1 Nepal QSO, 9N1HA in Oct of 2011. I think I had my tribander up 35ft, and 600w then. It was on 10m!! woohoooo
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »

Nepal is the last common Asian entity I need and it's a polar path for me.  Nepal is outside of the top 100 most wanted list and yet I never hear them.  What's the deal with that Huh  I might have to resort to a sked with a resident ham if there's such a thing in Nepal.

Nepal is hardly common. I don't think there were any resident hams until recently; IIRC the Nepalese government wasn't issuing licenses after Fr. Moran passed away. It became basically a kindness to international visitors. Again, I'm going by a failing memory but I seem to remember that as a data point a little while back. It will probably involve another DXpedition or at least a few visiting hams with modest stations for you to get a 9N in the log. Bhutan is essentially the same way, though it's far easier now than it was before the big A5 DXpedition a few years ago opened that door. My best year for Nepal was 2011, with 9N7AN and 9N7DX. Before that, I only worked 9N7JO in 2006 and 2007 for a total of 4 Qs (2 modes/2 bands).

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 05:16:20 PM »

I was lucky enough to work 9N1AA on 15 SSB last August--the band was wide open! Even better, I got the QSL card!  Grin

Zack W1VT
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 05:23:56 PM »

Thanks for the responses.  I was QRT in 2011 so obviously that hurt me.  Last year I was very radioactive however I didn't hear or see a spot for Nepal.  I must have done something terrible bad in my prior life and this is my punishment for it.

I will e-mail 9N1AA to see if he would be willing to take a sked.

Btw, I did work a 9N but he turned out to be a pirate.  So I guess 9N is not that common if a pirate chooses to use this prefix.

Jonathan W6GX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 08:49:38 AM »

I don't get on the radio much in the mornings but I do know 15m is excellent to Asia in the evening. I worked Jimmy BX5AA in the evening and he was S9 at the propagation peak.

Jonathan W6GX

You are going to have to find a way to spend a little time chasing DX in the morning, Jonathan.  Propagation is not perfectly symmetrical. Some areas are best heard in the morning and some at night.  Just as some bands are day bands and some night bands.  I used to be primarily a night owl due to work and habit but it meant missing all those fabulous Asian openings on 10, 15, and 20 during my mornings.  My situation has now reversed and I'm not doing nearly enough late afternoon to evening DXing.  That hurts me on 30, 40 and 80 meters. Some balance is very important to becoming a successful DXer.

Chris/NU1O

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:21:52 AM by NU1O » Logged
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 08:59:34 AM »

I don't get on the radio much in the mornings but I do know 15m is excellent to Asia in the evening. I worked Jimmy BX5AA in the evening and he was S9 at the propagation peak.

Jonathan W6GX

You are going to have to find a way to spend a little time chasing DX in the morning, Jonathan.  Propagation is not perfectly symmetrical. Some areas are best heard in the morning and some at night.  Just as some bands are day bands and some night bands.  I used to be primarily a night owl due to work and habit but it meant missing all those fabulous Asian openings on 10, 15, and 20 during my mornings.  My situation has now reversed and I'm not doing nearly enough late afternoon to evening DXing.  That hurts me on 30, 40 and 80 meters. Some balance is very important to becoming a successful DXer.

Chris/NU1O

Chris/NU1O

No kidding!  I have been on the radio the past few mornings and I'm glad that I did.  When I started HF back in 2009 I was nocturnal.  I would hear H44 and V73 calling CQ and no one would be responding.  I had thought I would become a successful DXer as long as I could 'beat' the others by changing my sleeping habit. I was a regular guest on the Anza net for a period.  Now that I've worked Oceania stations upteen times I need to shift my focus to the mornings Grin

Jonathan W6GX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 10:09:56 AM »

No kidding!  I have been on the radio the past few mornings and I'm glad that I did.  When I started HF back in 2009 I was nocturnal.  I would hear H44 and V73 calling CQ and no one would be responding.  I had thought I would become a successful DXer as long as I could 'beat' the others by changing my sleeping habit. I was a regular guest on the Anza net for a period.  Now that I've worked Oceania stations upteen times I need to shift my focus to the mornings Grin

Jonathan W6GX

I had a period of time where I was up until 3 or 4 AM and I would work the 20 meter opening to Oceania but if I ever computed it on a ATNO/Time or a Bandfill/Time ratio it would be very low. I also spent time in the ANZA Net over the years and I'm sure there will be some night in the not too distant future when I'm having trouble sleeping and I check into the net to speak with old friends.  I don't think I've checked into ANZA since last fall.

The band is generally dead to the US at that time, and most guys are sleeping, so with 20 so quiet I can work guys with very modest stations. I've worked many mobiles in Australia or New Zealand at that time and that is usually the time I have ragchews with those guys. The only problem is that is when Oceania works Europe long path and when solar activity is high enough I can hear the Europeans off the back of my beam with strong signals. If the path is only open to Oceania it's a fantastic time to get on the radio and one morning I had an hour long chat with a teacher from Fiji who was only running 100 watts to a dipole.  Try working a station for an hour with a dipole and 100 watts on a 8,000 to 10,000 mile path at any other time or on any other band and I think you will find it next to impossible to pull off.

Some of this has to do with the islands of Oceania just being a favorite area of mine.  I grew up watching WWll films so actually working the islands I saw in a John Wayne movie or read about in a history book has always been a thrill.

BTW, I had a nice opening to Africa on 10 meters this morning.  5H3EE was very loud and Vlad is back in Egypt as SU9VB.  10 CW was a new mode for Egypt.

Thanks to our old Cold War adversaries now traveling all over the world, I have been able to work countries which would be very difficult otherwise. I will say one thing about the Russians: they are very good amateur radio operators!  They are also very polite and in a pileup they don't keep calling every second.

Chris/NU1O
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 10:12:08 AM by NU1O » Logged
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 11:07:25 AM »

No kidding!  I have been on the radio the past few mornings and I'm glad that I did.  When I started HF back in 2009 I was nocturnal.  I would hear H44 and V73 calling CQ and no one would be responding.  I had thought I would become a successful DXer as long as I could 'beat' the others by changing my sleeping habit. I was a regular guest on the Anza net for a period.  Now that I've worked Oceania stations upteen times I need to shift my focus to the mornings Grin

Jonathan W6GX

I had a period of time where I was up until 3 or 4 AM and I would work the 20 meter opening to Oceania but if I ever computed it on a ATNO/Time or a Bandfill/Time ratio it would be very low. I also spent time in the ANZA Net over the years and I'm sure there will be some night in the not too distant future when I'm having trouble sleeping and I check into the net to speak with old friends.  I don't think I've checked into ANZA since last fall.

The band is generally dead to the US at that time, and most guys are sleeping, so with 20 so quiet I can work guys with very modest stations. I've worked many mobiles in Australia or New Zealand at that time and that is usually the time I have ragchews with those guys. The only problem is that is when Oceania works Europe long path and when solar activity is high enough I can hear the Europeans off the back of my beam with strong signals. If the path is only open to Oceania it's a fantastic time to get on the radio and one morning I had an hour long chat with a teacher from Fiji who was only running 100 watts to a dipole.  Try working a station for an hour with a dipole and 100 watts on a 8,000 to 10,000 mile path at any other time or on any other band and I think you will find it next to impossible to pull off.

Some of this has to do with the islands of Oceania just being a favorite area of mine.  I grew up watching WWll films so actually working the islands I saw in a John Wayne movie or read about in a history book has always been a thrill.

BTW, I had a nice opening to Africa on 10 meters this morning.  5H3EE was very loud and Vlad is back in Egypt as SU9VB.  10 CW was a new mode for Egypt.

Thanks to our old Cold War adversaries now traveling all over the world, I have been able to work countries which would be very difficult otherwise. I will say one thing about the Russians: they are very good amateur radio operators!  They are also very polite and in a pileup they don't keep calling every second.

Chris/NU1O

I remember the days in 2009 and 2010 where 20m and 40m were it.  With no sunspots and nothing interesting on the cluster I would be spinning the VFO looking for DX.  Funny thing was on certain days 20m would be wide open to as late as midnight MST.  It didn't occur very often but when it did it was magical.

Jonathan W6GX
AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 04:16:44 PM »

Isn't there an Israeli ham who makes periodic visits to Nepal?  I have one 20M SSB and two 20M CW q's with 9N7
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »

Isn't there an Israeli ham who makes periodic visits to Nepal?  I have one 20M SSB and two 20M CW q's with 9N7

Thanks Mike.  I haven't been radioactive for very long. Plus my tower only went up a year ago.

I did sent a bunch of emails to many 9N hams for a sked and so far one responded with a 'yes'. However from my experience those that say yes have crappy antennas and they themselves want to work the US for a new one Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: