Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mosley Mini-33-WARC vs. Cushcraft MA5B - Any opinions from the experienced?  (Read 10466 times)
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2013, 12:49:51 PM »

MA5B continuous power is 400 watts.

The Mosley Mini 32 continuous power is 250 watts.

Either is suitable for 100 watts ssb, but probably not for use with an amplifier. I have a friend who burned up the traps on an MA5B with an Ameritron AL-811H. So consider that neither of these is suitable for amplifier use in the long term. He liked it well enough before it caught fire.

Good Post CR !
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 12:05:08 PM »

I have had the ma5b and currently own a 3 ele steppir. I have had other beams as well.  That ma5b is an amazing antenna and works much better than I would have thought.  stick it up at leas 25 or 30 feet in the air and go for it. I did not ass the cap hats till I had the antenna on the mast.
KD2CJJ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 01:24:08 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback.  I did some educating myself on how Yagi's work in general and what makes an efficient Yagi.   I now have a better grasp and understand why the Mosley may not perform as well as the Cushcraft.  I can clearly see now that the Cushcraft matching network and loading scheme is much better coupled with the longer boom giving it a possible edge over the Mosley (correct me if I am wrong)  Of course I have still yet to understand how the TGM MQ line of Mini Beams work and am very interested in this antenna as some of the posters has suggested for me to be.

With that said, I have crossed off the list of the Mosley and now am focusing on the MA5B and the MQ-26SR; maybe even the MQ-34SR.

Can anyone comment on their experience for TGM MQ line of Mini Beams?  I am really leaning torwards the Cushcraft due to performance / price / size.  I dont mind spending the extra $$ for the TGM but is it really that much better than the MA5B?  The stated gain is higher on the TGM MQ26 and even higher on the MQ34 (if fine with the limits on bands it supports as 10 - 15 and 20 are my focus) with better F/B.

Generally the cushcraft has amazing reviews, the TGM line of antenna get great reviews but what is weird is that there are a few sprinkled in there that absolutely say its no better than their dipole.  That kind of concerns me-- I dont see that feedback with the MA5B.

Any feedback on the TGM antenna compared to the MA5B?

Mike
KD2CJJ
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2013, 01:46:39 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback.  I did some educating myself on how Yagi's work in general and what makes an efficient Yagi.   I now have a better grasp and understand why the Mosley may not perform as well as the Cushcraft.  I can clearly see now that the Cushcraft matching network and loading scheme is much better coupled with the longer boom giving it a possible edge over the Mosley (correct me if I am wrong)  Of course I have still yet to understand how the TGM MQ line of Mini Beams work and am very interested in this antenna as some of the posters has suggested for me to be.

With that said, I have crossed off the list of the Mosley and now am focusing on the MA5B and the MQ-26SR; maybe even the MQ-34SR.

Can anyone comment on their experience for TGM MQ line of Mini Beams?  I am really leaning torwards the Cushcraft due to performance / price / size.  I dont mind spending the extra $$ for the TGM but is it really that much better than the MA5B?  The stated gain is higher on the TGM MQ26 and even higher on the MQ34 (if fine with the limits on bands it supports as 10 - 15 and 20 are my focus) with better F/B.

Generally the cushcraft has amazing reviews, the TGM line of antenna get great reviews but what is weird is that there are a few sprinkled in there that absolutely say its no better than their dipole.  That kind of concerns me-- I dont see that feedback with the MA5B.

IMHO, the TGM Antenna has crossed that fine line, where an antenna is TOO Small to have enough gain over a dipole, to make it worthwhile.
I remember the TGM Antenna, it was once called the Hybrid Products Company Mini Quad. It sucked then, and it sucks now. Sorry to be so blunt, but it sucks.
It is also a very narrow bandwidth device, especially on 20 meters.
One can only bend the laws of Physics so far, before severe performance penalties are to be paid.
The Cush Craft MA 5B will kick it's butt, on a daily basis.

KD2CJJ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2013, 02:06:46 PM »

I see where your coming and going - and probably why there are some very concerning reviews on the TGM for the MQ26.  What do you think of the MQ-34SR?  Seems to be more reasonable due to its size but the bandwidth is still limited but far better than the MA5B - http://www.tgmcom.com/images/Antennas/mq34srsw_.jpg

Here are the specs:
Electrical Specifications

Operating  Bands- 10,15,20 Meters
Forward Gain (+/-0.5dB)-  10M-7.0 dBd., 15M-6.8.0 dBd., 20M-6.0 dBd.
(Reference being a full size dipole at 25')
SWR @ Resonance (See Curves)
Power Rating: 1500 Watts  P.E.P
Front to Back Ratio: 12 to 20 dBd
Front to Side Ratio: -20db.
Input Impedance: Single 50 Ohm  Feedline
Rotor: Medium to Heavy  Duty
Mechanical Specifcations

Element Length: 11 Ft 5 inches
Boom Length: 10 Ft 3 inches
Turning Radius: 8 Ft 8 inches
Overall Quad Reflector Height: 48 inches
Weight: 24 lbs
Mast (not inc'l): up to 2 1/8 inch
Wind Loading: 2.8 Sq. Ft.
Wind Survival: 75 MPH

Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks for all the feedback.  I did some educating myself on how Yagi's work in general and what makes an efficient Yagi.   I now have a better grasp and understand why the Mosley may not perform as well as the Cushcraft.  I can clearly see now that the Cushcraft matching network and loading scheme is much better coupled with the longer boom giving it a possible edge over the Mosley (correct me if I am wrong)  Of course I have still yet to understand how the TGM MQ line of Mini Beams work and am very interested in this antenna as some of the posters has suggested for me to be.

Can anyone comment on their experience for TGM MQ line of Mini Beams?  I am really leaning torwards the Cushcraft due to performance / price / size.  I dont mind spending the extra $$ for the TGM but is it really that much better than the MA5B?  The stated gain is higher on the TGM MQ26 and even higher on the MQ34 (if fine with the limits on bands it supports as 10 - 15 and 20 are my focus) with better F/B.

Generally the cushcraft has amazing reviews, the TGM line of antenna get great reviews but what is weird is that there are a few sprinkled in there that absolutely say its no better than their dipole.  That kind of concerns me-- I dont see that feedback with the MA5B.

IMHO, the TGM Antenna has crossed that fine line, where an antenna is TOO Small to have enough gain over a dipole, to make it worthwhile.
I remember the TGM Antenna, it was once called the Hybrid Products Company Mini Quad. It sucked then, and it sucks now. Sorry to be so blunt, but it sucks.
One can only bend the laws of Physics so far, before severe performance penalties are to be paid.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 02:11:31 PM by KD2CJJ » Logged

Mike
KD2CJJ
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2013, 02:17:09 PM »

I see where your coming and going - and probably why there are some very concerning reviews on the TGM for the MQ26.  What do you think of the MQ-34SR?  Seems to be more reasonable due to its size but the bandwidth is still limited but far better than the MA5B - http://www.tgmcom.com/images/Antennas/mq34srsw_.jpg

Here are the specs:
Electrical Specifications

Operating  Bands- 10,15,20 Meters
Forward Gain (+/-0.5dB)-  10M-7.0 dBd., 15M-6.8.0 dBd., 20M-6.0 dBd.
(Reference being a full size dipole at 25')
SWR @ Resonance (See Curves)
Power Rating: 1500 Watts  P.E.P
Front to Back Ratio: 12 to 20 dBd
Front to Side Ratio: -20db.
Input Impedance: Single 50 Ohm  Feedline
Rotor: Medium to Heavy  Duty
Mechanical Specifcations

Element Length: 11 Ft 5 inches
Boom Length: 10 Ft 3 inches
Turning Radius: 8 Ft 8 inches
Overall Quad Reflector Height: 48 inches
Weight: 24 lbs
Mast (not inc'l): up to 2 1/8 inch
Wind Loading: 2.8 Sq. Ft.
Wind Survival: 75 MPH

Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks for all the feedback.  I did some educating myself on how Yagi's work in general and what makes an efficient Yagi.   I now have a better grasp and understand why the Mosley may not perform as well as the Cushcraft.  I can clearly see now that the Cushcraft matching network and loading scheme is much better coupled with the longer boom giving it a possible edge over the Mosley (correct me if I am wrong)  Of course I have still yet to understand how the TGM MQ line of Mini Beams work and am very interested in this antenna as some of the posters has suggested for me to be.

Can anyone comment on their experience for TGM MQ line of Mini Beams?  I am really leaning torwards the Cushcraft due to performance / price / size.  I dont mind spending the extra $$ for the TGM but is it really that much better than the MA5B?  The stated gain is higher on the TGM MQ26 and even higher on the MQ34 (if fine with the limits on bands it supports as 10 - 15 and 20 are my focus) with better F/B.

Generally the cushcraft has amazing reviews, the TGM line of antenna get great reviews but what is weird is that there are a few sprinkled in there that absolutely say its no better than their dipole.  That kind of concerns me-- I dont see that feedback with the MA5B.

It has a nice long boom vs the Cush Craft MA 5B!
But element length is shorter. I know nothing about that antenna, is it new ?
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2013, 07:37:43 PM »

How does the Cushcraft MA5B compare with a regular 2 element tribander, such as the Mosley TA32 or the Hy-Gain TH2?  Both of those have a slightly shorter boom, but longer elements. Does the MA5B lose much in performance when it shortens the elements?

John AF5CC
KB6HRT

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2013, 11:52:29 PM »

I have not owned an MA5B but think its a good antenna, do own an MQ-26 and know its a very good for my needs because
when I use it I can use 4 other antennas an compare it any given one of them an about 85% of the time I use the MQ-26. I am old now an been a HAM for 30+ years, not a lot of years by some Ham's standards but I do no being older have to go by the book these days, so when I put up an antenna I check and double check my work then check again an I do follow the instruction to a tee, Like some other hams have said before the MQ-26 is not a broad banded as some larger beams, but does cover most all of the 20m general part for SSB with out problems. If an antenna is not installed correctly to manufactures spec the results will very. I used 100' of RG 213 coax, the correct balm recommended and tuned correctly on all bands.The antenna can see 360 deg unobstructed at 36' to the bottom of the antenna. I have read revues of HAMS that have had both the MQ-26 an the MA5B don't remember numbers now but more liked the MQ-26 more than the MA5B.
Don't think the MQ-34 is as good a antenna as MQ-26 is from what I read. If I am having trouble making up my mind on something like this I always go with my gut feeling, that works best for me! Today signals were not great at the time I was on 20m but again like most days kept checking antennas but always got the best an clearest signal from my MQ-26 but could read weak signals best with the MQ-26.........kb6hrt 
KD2CJJ

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2013, 01:44:24 PM »

I wanted to let the thread know that I ordered a MQ-26 - shipped already.... I should be able to put it up in the next few weeks depending on the delivery and that the weather holds up..

I have an Alpha Delta DXEE Fan Dipole (up at 27 feet) and LNPAR End Fed  20/40 up about the same ....

I will surely report back A/B comparisons when its up...

Stay Tuned...

Mike
KD2CJJ
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2013, 09:32:12 PM »

Please let us know how you like it. I am going to try the Mosley Mini 32 AW. Just took delivery today but need to find time to finish a few other projects and getting past the Spring rains.

How do you like the EndFez 40/20?

Don KF7DS
KD2CJJ

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2013, 11:20:39 AM »

I will post the outcome when I get the antenna up...

The 40/20 is great BUT its power is VERY limited (100 watts SSB).  Running 30 watts of Digital damaged the matchbox where now 40 meters will not tune at all without a tuner.   Before blowing the matchbox the bandwidth was not bad for most of 40 meters and great for 20 meters.  Now since blowing the matchbox 40 meters no matter how much I shorten or lengthen (I fold back) its SWRs will not go lower than 2:1 up to 4:1... Not good...BUT with my LDG tuner it tunes to 1:1 on both 20 and 40 meters....  It also will tune on 80 to 1:1 with no issues; not bad for NVIS.   For 40 meters its a full 1/2 wave and a full wave on 20 meters.  I find it a little noisier than the dipole for 20 meters (and 40 but I also receive significantly better for 40 in general)

Regarding performance 40 meters it is seriously 3 - 8s points higher than my AD DXEE Fan Dipole (loaded on 40 meters).  For 20 Meters typically the Fan Dipole is 2 - 3s higher... some times (very rare) the end fed is 1 - 2 s higher than the fan dipole..    The end fed at its highest after looking at it last night is probably at 35 - 40 feet where my fan dipole is about 27 feet. 

The end fed is notorious for common mode but a simple ferrite choke in the shack cured the issue.

The MQ26 will be replacing my fan dipole..  I cant wait!!!

Please let us know how you like it. I am going to try the Mosley Mini 32 AW. Just took delivery today but need to find time to finish a few other projects and getting past the Spring rains.

How do you like the EndFez 40/20?

Don KF7DS

Mike
KD2CJJ
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2013, 10:01:07 PM »

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I anticipated the need for a choke and expect it to be noisier than my ad dxcc. Love my ad dxcc...apex is at 50 Ft and end at 30. Works well

Don KF7DS
KB6HRT

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2013, 08:11:16 PM »

Mike,
 Some tips when you install the MQ26 make sure you get the belum that Tom recommends, set the SWR as per instructions,
I used a MFJ 259 with a 3' jumper to get my SWR where I though I wanted it, was about 7 ' above the ground and took my reading, then put it up to 24' to the bottom to the ground, then took more readings with the SWR meter in my HF radio with 100' of RG 213 an found where the SWR was lowest on each band, when I put it on the tower at 36' to the bottom my center point changes on some of the bands, then dropped the antenna down and adjusted the center points where I wanted them for good, nothing changed since the final installation last August, still love my little two element toy, hope you have as much fun with your little new found toy, I am having fun with this one .........73s.....kb6hrt

KD2CJJ

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2013, 05:29:08 AM »

Ok put up the mq26 yesterday.  Generally went together easy.  Unfortunately I did not have my antenna analyzer as it was lent out and not returned by when I needed it.  Since time was more important than tuning I proceeded to install as I can easily access the antenna later to tune it.  With that said the out of the box tuning does not seem to be true in my situation.  There is not part that dips below 2:1 Swr for 20 meters.  I suspect either the feedline is too short, only 40 feet, or something is wrong (same feedline that was on my dipole which was fine) with the antenna.  Reservation is out till I can ge an antenna analyzer on the antenna.  All other bands are very close but again not all that wide... Why I am suspect I need to get the feed line to at least 50 feet as I suspect the feedline is a bad multiple.

Anyway real world performance....with the handicap not being tuned I used my ldg tuner to tune it up to test it out.... All bands tune to 1 to 1 with no issue though on 20 it really works to get there on the lowest part of the band.  I made a few contact 1 into France from ny 1 into New Mexico...1 into MN.. All reported great strong signal.  Bad part it's not much better in most cases as my full wave end fed on 20...  In many cases the end fed beats it by 2s.  The directionality is almost Non existent on 20 no matter the direction.  Noise level is lower than the end fed but only by 1s.  When the mq26 beats my end fed its only by 1 or 2s points not earth shattering at all.  More than half the time they are the same within a s point...  I am comparing this antenna to a full wave 20 end fed which in all purposes may not be the best comparison (full wave compared to half wave)

With that said once I get the antenna tuned I will post back the results...so the verdict is still out ... But so far not promising

Any comments or questions?

Mike
KD2CJJ
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2013, 07:42:25 AM »

I am not surprised at all. I suggested the CushCraft MA 5B
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: