Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Best 6 Meter Antenna for SSB  (Read 5927 times)
KD6OJG

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2013, 11:56:15 PM »

If you had to have just one antenna for six meter for SSB operation which of the following would be the best choice...and why?

Wire Dipole with just a center insulator and 12 gauge wire
Wire Dipole with 1:1 Balun and 12 gauge wire
Solid Dipole(like the one made by Centerfire Antennas)
Ground Plane (like the one made by Centerfire Antennas)
Comet GP-15

Please make another suggestion if I left off another type of antenna.

I'm asking my question in this section because I figured all of you would have tried every type of antenna for this particular band.

Thanks for all your help.

HamCall.net
Google Translate:

Shopping Cart
Products
Auctions
HamCall DVD
     Owner Benefits
     Software Features
     Subscriptions
     HamCall FAQ
     Third-party support
     User Opinions
     Order HamCall
HamCall Member Benefits
HamCall Gold Passwords
HCLog
OCF Dipole Antennas
     7-Band OCF
     4-Band OCF
     8-Band OCF
     Features
     Installation
     Ordering
     Reviews
     FAQ
PL259 Connectors
Antenna Support Rope
Stainless Pulleys
Line-Grip
Wire Winders
RF Chokes
Great Circle Maps
Name Badges
CQ Magazine Archives
Cryptography Book
Club Discounts
Dealer Discounts
Return Address Labels
Services
DXSpots
New Callsign Notification
VEC Renewals/Mods
Mailing Lists
Return Address Labels
73 Archive Search
Callsign Database
Advertising Banners
Browser Search Blank
Callsign Server
Field Search
Mailing Lists
New Callsign Notification
Top Callsigns
Most Wanted Callsigns
Add/Update Callsign
HamCall DX Spots
Best Station Photos
Browse QSLs
HamCall FAQ
HTML Lookup Code
About/Contact
Facebook
Twitter
Advertising Banners
About HamCall
Contact Us
Search site
(Not a callsign search)

Only search HamCall.net
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 03:47:01 AM »

The best isn't mentioned in your list. A beam on a rotator up high enough to work well.

If I were limiting myself to not having a beam, I would use a horizontal folded loop like this one:

http://www.eham.net/articles/4319

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 03:47:57 AM »

You didn't say whether or not you would be able to rotate a dipole.  If you can rotate it, it should give you a bit more gain.  If you will not be able to rotate a dipole, and your list is all of your options, I would go with one of the ground planes.  6M openings can happen in almost any direction, and a fixed dipole may put nulls on a potential contact.

Don, K2DC

KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 05:17:50 AM »

The first three on the list will operate identically.  They will need to be
rotated as a Dipole on 6m more than 16ft off the ground exhibits textbook
pattern.

Nothing vertical, you take a high cross polarization hit (12-20db) and
while during Es season people claim they work its marginal compared
to even a 3 element beam.  You want horizontal for SSB/CW on 6.

However I consider a dipole a minimal antenna and there are plenty of
antennas that will serve better.

Any kind of horizontal loop as its omidirectional.
 Two of them stacked is a fair antenna.

These must be turned:

* A moxon, compact and more gain than dipole. 
* 3 element beam or 2 element quad
* larger yagi 4-6 elements.

The difference between the dipole or omni loop is noticeable.
the directional antennas all give some gain and some rejection
of signals not wanted (like noise from behind you).  On 6 Gain is
everything and second to height.

Allison
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 05:18:59 AM »

I use and like my loop - I use a KU4AB loop mounted off the side of my tower to monitor and work most of what I hear. I also have a 5 Element Beam.  If I only had one it would be the loop.

http://www.ku4ab.com/6m-horiz.html

Clint - W5CPT -
WD4CHP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 05:46:07 AM »

If you want to work mobile, a halo is good.

Find an old handbook for instructions to build one.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 08:05:26 AM »

I started out many years ago on 6M AM with a Halo because it was inexpensive, omni-directional, and horizontally polarized. I replaced it after a couple of years with a 5 element Yagi and TV rotor mounted in the same location. Major improvement!!
KD6OJG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 09:30:17 AM »

Thanks to all of you for the other antenna types mentioned so far.  I was aware of them but didn't think about listing them.  I'm getting back into Ham Radio after a long absence.  I never really got a grip on all the science and technical stuff before I ended up sticking all my equipment away and moving.

I've read reviews from people who say they've made worldwide contacts with the Comet GP-15 and another vertical called the Dominator.  I'm able to put up a dipole, yagi, or beam and rotate it so that's not a problem.

While I have your attention I'd like to ask another question about receiving signals...Right now I can't talk on HF other than 10 meter but I do a lot of listening.  I have a Yaesu Ft-840 and to it I have connected a MFJ-16010 random wire tuner.  I took about 38 feet of 10 gauge stranded copper wire that I had lying around and ran it outside running up the fascia board through eye hooks and just tied it off at the other end through a last eye hook.  So there's about 23 ft. outside and 15 ft. inside the house running straight to the tuner.  The other end is just connected to a banana plug that's stuck into the SO-239 hole of the tuner.(If that's the way you do it?)

The room is on the south end of the house and the roof line with the wire is also facing south.  I'm about 90 miles north of Bakersfield, Ca.

Here's my question;  I get people booming in on 20 meter from WA, OR, ID, MT, and BC and they sound like they're next door to me, but they will be talking to someone in northern CA and I can't hear them.  Even if the CA operators have a beam pointing north should I at least hear something?  Also, how is a short piece of wire facing "south" able to pick up signals so well coming from the north?
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 10:19:40 AM »

Here's my question;  I get people booming in on 20 meter from WA, OR, ID, MT, and BC and they sound like they're next door to me, but they will be talking to someone in northern CA and I can't hear them.  Even if the CA operators have a beam pointing north should I at least hear something? 

Nothing unusual here. The California operators you can't hear are likely in your skip zone.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 01:43:02 PM »

If you're 90 miles north of Bakersfield and are looking for advice about 6m antennas, drive up to Mike K6MYC's place and see what he has.  I'm sure he'd be glad to spend some time discussing 6m antennas with you, it's almost his favorite subject.

(BTW Mike has a 6m antenna system that you can see from a couple of miles away.) Wink

As for the 20m propagation, yes, it is very normal for you to "NOT" hear anyone closer than 500-600 or even 800 miles, yet hear stations farther away just fine.  20m does have "short skip" every now and then, sometimes in mid to late afternoons, when you'll hear closer stations; but that can be short-lived.  It almost never happens early in the morning or very late in the afternoon, or in the evening.

If you want to hear or work "closer" stations, 40 meters is a much better choice.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 03:05:48 PM »

No one has mentioned using stacked 8 element beams at 130 feet feed with 1-78 hardline.

This is one of those questions no one can answere with out knowing expations and budget.
K0SBV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 07:44:10 PM »

After being off the air for several years due to strict HOA covenants, I got back on six meters four years ago in stealth mode (hiding from the antenna police) using a KU4AB Squalo and Yaesu FT450.  The Squalo antenna was sitting atop an 18' painter's pole in a Radio Shack tripod just off my patio. In 2 years I worked 38 states and 6 or 7 foreign countries on six. I then upgraded to the three element yagi made by M2, but still up only 18' on the painter's pole.  I was able to add about nine additional states and eight more countries. This does not take up a lot of space and is not very visible outside my property. Good luck as six meter is a lot of fun, even after 55 year as a radio ham.
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 09:05:02 PM »

I had a 3 el beam on 6m, with a cheap TV rotator. rotators didn't last long, and I didn't want to put a proper ($400) one up there in the wind. took down the beam, put up an OmniAngle OA-50. It has some gain over a dipole, and is never pointed in the wrong direction. First VHF contest I used it, I worked grid squares up in Washington state that I'd never heard before. If you have a good enough situation, you could put two OA-50's on a pole and phase them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: