Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DXpedition QSL Cards: Bigger $$$ contributions = Faster Card TAT?  (Read 2422 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2013, 08:29:34 AM »

Your thoughts..especially if  you are a QSL Manager for one of these events..excuse me for being naieve (or then again, maybe not), but I would appreciate what the multitude thinks about this....What say you?

V
KA3NRX
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 08:34:12 AM »

I don't know what you are asking.  You are asking if it's ethical to deliver cards first to those who contributed the most?  If I were a QSL manager I would have bigger problems to worry about than to make sure the big donors get their cards first.

Jonathan W6GX
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 08:50:56 AM »

I don't know what you are asking.  You are asking if it's ethical to deliver cards first to those who contributed the most?  If I were a QSL manager I would have bigger problems to worry about than to make sure the big donors get their cards first.

Jonathan W6GX

To answer your quesiton....not necessarily ethical, but does it happen?  In short, the old addage...."Money talks".....does this apply to an expeditions qsl card turn around time? Does it make a difference? I am seeking opinions....I will take yours as a "no" answer to my question.....Thanks!..... Grin
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 08:51:21 AM »

I don't think he is asking about the ethics, just whether a bigger contribution means a quicker QSL.

We know those who donate to an expedition get their QSL cards first and those who do not contribute have to wait 6 months or longer for LoTW or a buro card.  I doubt a $10 contribution gets you a quicker QSL than a $5 contribution, but money talks loud and I think it's naive to think those who donate $100 or who are affiliated with a club that makes a generous donation are not at the top of the list.

These trips are expensive and I am of the opinion everybody needs to contribute whatever they can afford.  I don't see anything wrong with the people who financed a trip getting their QSL faster than those who donated nothing but that is strictly my opinion based on N1DG's presentation which showed who pays for these trips, and who doesn't. A small minority pays for the majority over and over.

Chris/NU1O

K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 08:55:54 AM »

I don't think he is asking about the ethics, just whether a bigger contribution means a quicker QSL.

We know those who donate to an expedition get their QSL cards first and those who do not contribute have to wait 6 months or longer for LoTW or a buro card.  I doubt a $10 contribution gets you a quicker QSL than a $5 contribution, but money talks loud and I think it's naive to think those who donate $100 or who are affiliated with a club that makes a generous donation are not at the top of the list.

These trips are expensive and I am of the opinion everybody needs to contribute whatever they can afford.  I don't see anything wrong with the people who financed a trip getting their QSL faster than those who donated nothing but that is strictly my opinion based on N1DG's presentation which showed who pays for these trips, and who doesn't. A small minority pays for the majority over and over.

Chris/NU1O

Precisely....I will take your answer as a yes!.....Carry on....

V
KA3NRX

NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 09:01:02 AM »

I don't see anything wrong with the people who financed a trip getting their QSL faster than those who donated nothing

I agree.

Usually all the direct OQRS (which is also a good time to donate) cards are shipped around the same time frame. But if the big buck donors get theirs first, that only seems fair.  
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 09:07:46 AM »

Yeah.  But the big donors with deep pockets probably have worked the entity upteen times already.  So what's the point of delivery a card to them hot-off-the-press when they will just toss it in the shoe box in a closet?

Jonathan W6GX
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 09:10:01 AM »

No problems with that approach here whatsoever, provided that they still provide (eventually) LoTW uploads and bureau cards to those who maybe can't afford to support the DXpedition this time, and answer direct requests with sufficient postage/SASE in a reasonably timely manner.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 09:10:42 AM »

If the big donors get any preferential treatment, I am good with it. Hell if they get skeds with the DX on difficult bands, I am good with that too.

I am not at a place in my life where I can give DXpeditions kilobucks for their efforts. But thanks to those who can, I get to work these rare places too!

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 09:14:23 AM »

Yeah.  But the big donors with deep pockets probably have worked the entity upteen times already.  So what's the point of delivery a card to them hot-off-the-press when they will just toss it in the shoe box in a closet?

Because maybe the big donors with deep pockets may have just started chasing a new award, worked them on 160 or 6m for new bands or this could be the one that puts him back onto Honor Roll (or #1 HR) after a few years away from DXing. One of my club's senior members is in that latter category. He'd been close to top of the Honor Roll but was off the air for close to 20 years. By that time he wasn't even on HR any longer because new entities had cropped up while he was gone. I just checked his cards last month to put him back onto HR with 331, but he was DXing back in the peak of '58!

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 09:19:42 AM »

Yeah, so???

People in airline first class get free wine, too.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 09:23:58 AM »

Yeah, so???

And they are the ones likely to die in a plane crash Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 09:25:20 AM »

Here on eham we get first-class whine!  Grin

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
N6ORB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 09:29:57 AM »

What I've noticed is that people who donate often get a quicker confirmation via LOTW. Separating out the cards and holding back those for the non-contributors seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth.

Dave, N6ORB
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 09:31:39 AM »

Here on eham we get first-class whine!  Grin

Mike is for sure a first class flyer and a top 10% doner for making that comment;D

Jonathan W6GX
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: