Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT950 vs TS590 side by side  (Read 2260 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2013, 09:35:59 AM »

I got to do a hands on side by side on the two rigs for about 45 minute and the focus of test was SSB strong and weak signal and noise reduction. Without question the 590 has better skirt selectivity and adjacent signal rejection capability. 950 lacks here and I actually find that even a TS480 with optional narrow SSB filter out performs it is this regard too based on past observations. When you pull a weak signal out of mud the 590 does better here too. The mixer is quieter and signal stands out more and sounds cleaner. The noise reduction on 590 seemed to work better too.

Eye candy wise the 950 does look more impressive while 590 looks kinda plain next to it but looks can be deceiving. If eye candy is important then 950 is in lead but if performance is focus, 590 clearly leads here.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 06:33:40 PM »

I have had all three transceivers. I thought the TS480 was better than the FT950 until I used it for a straight 48hrs one contest and learned how to use it properly.

The FT950 needs tweaking all the time to get the best out of it unlike the Kenwoods.
W9BKR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 11:36:29 AM »

I have played with the 950 and 2000 for a significant amount of time as have many DXer friends of mine...needless to say...we no longer have either...okay radio for the casual operator, but plagued with shortcomings and limited abilities...the 590 is much better.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 01:24:12 PM »

The 950 is indeed a very nice looking rig compared to 590 but looks can be deceiving.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 07:21:27 AM »

I just sold my FT-2000D (big brother of the 950). While the radio was absolutely beautiful, most of the gadgets designed to pull weak signals out of the mud were worthless at best. The roofing filters are all barn door wide, the noise blanker is average at best, the DSP filtering weakens the signals to the point of unintelligibility. The one option that I will miss is the VRF preselector. While it did attenuate signals, it did quiet down the noise floor quite well. The menus were easy to navigate but did require some study to master. It's ACG was very good but it only helped to an extent.

I sold the rig last week and am looking forward to getting my new K3.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W9BKR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 03:44:49 AM »

Having owned (past tense) the K3, to me, the 590 and K3 are step brothers.  They are both very competent performers ,with one 1/3 the price of the other.  Other then that, I could only tell the difference if I sat and listened to both with my eyes closed.  The 590 was much nicer the long haul, the K3 was bothersome in a very short order.  Performance wise, they are so close you wouldn't be able to tell the difference....
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 04:19:53 PM »

Having owned (past tense) the K3, to me, the 590 and K3 are step brothers.  They are both very competent performers ,with one 1/3 the price of the other.  Other then that, I could only tell the difference if I sat and listened to both with my eyes closed.  The 590 was much nicer the long haul, the K3 was bothersome in a very short order.  Performance wise, they are so close you wouldn't be able to tell the difference....

For me the difference is very easy to tell on signals buried in the noise floor.  The APF works wonders there, it's truly amazing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: