Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-430 Display  (Read 2201 times)
WB0UPD

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2013, 07:04:09 AM »

I've got a lead on a used Kenwood  TS-430S the seller is not to smart about ham radio but seems to be saying the display has one digit that is dim.  Can this be replaced and the cost for parts?  I'm a pretty handy ham built a lot of Heathkit stuff back in the day so I think I can handle some soldering. Thanks in advance.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 07:13:13 AM »

I am going to guess that you would need a parts radio. These radios are upwards of 30 years old.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 07:44:25 AM »

Before thinking simply replacement, I'd first check out the solder joints and connectors. Just one digit could be a matter of resoldering.
WB0UPD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 07:57:49 AM »

I see someone on eBay is selling a complete display, he is from Bulgaria so the shipping would be an arm and leg. I was thinking somebody here would have one to sell. Not sure I really would be interested in a radio so old with no parts.  The guy a non-ham CBer is asking $300 OBO. My other guess its been modified to work on 11 meters and I want no part of that!!!
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 08:00:16 AM »

Under these conditions, just forget it.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 08:21:21 AM »

There are tons of very nice TS-430s out there. Cute backup transceiver with enduring value just as a receiver. Delightfully simple to use. Clip a diode and it transmits anywhere including CB.

I've had mine since about 1979. It has the very common BPF flakiness on one band... fixable if I wanted to put in the effort.

Going price is about $350 for one in perfect shape.   
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 08:58:01 AM »

When the displays in my Motorola Spectras goes dim, it's almost always capacitor cancer.  Although, IIRC, the 430 has a VFD, which, according to Wikipedia, has a specific life due to falling emission and reduction of phosphor efficiency.

If it's a bad solder joint, you could try a technical tap (or more severe percussive maintenance) to see if it comes back.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 10:52:39 AM »

Going price is about $350 for one in perfect shape.   

I think this is overly generous. This rig is getting very long in tooth and can go belly up any time and parts are hard to come by. A TS140 is a newer and better rig for about same coin than a 430 and very reliable.  I have had 3 of them over last 25 years and they all worked well.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
WB0UPD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 11:28:33 AM »

I'd frankly be happy with a TS-130 in nice looking and working condition. Don't need a lot of bells and whistles, just something to take in the camping trailer for our trip to Alaska.

Also looking at a TS-440 SAT. It has much more than I need.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 12:01:08 PM »

Be aware that Yahoo has a very active discussion group devoted to TS-430/440/450 series.

By $350 I was referring to a pristine radio of known pedigree (not CB/Smoker/mobile) with CW filter, FM board and mic. One thing about those old Kenwoods, they tend to keep their good looks. My 430 even hears pretty well on longwave.  No doubt a TS-140 would be a good choice for only a little more money. It's about 8 years newer and cost more to begin with.

TS-430s were amazing radios in their time: general coverage, tiny size and really inexpensive. Remarkable compared with the ham-only heavy tube hybrids Kenwood sold a few years before. I bought mine when I lived in an apartment. Perfect for my needs then.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: