Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poor operating practices catch on fast  (Read 6595 times)
N2CST

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2013, 05:01:29 PM »

We have all made a mistake while on the air, and that is not what I am referring to here.
I have noticed lately on 40 meters that many op's are using code and digital modes in the phone portion of the band and phone in the digital portion. Many others lack respect by tuning up right in the middle of an ongoing qso.
On 80 meters I have overheard many operators using profanity so much, that you know was not a slip of the tongue. I wish that they would stop and think that children may be listening, and regardless it is not very becoming of amateur radio to use that language.
Anyway my point is, if we do not abide by the rules, the hobby will become as useless as 11 meters.
Show that you became a ham, because you are smarter than that.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 05:31:48 PM »

Welcome to planet Earth!  Let me expand on your accurate observations a bit.

Have you noticed that this is the norm for damn near everything that goes on in the country these days?  I call this the "NOW" generation or in some cases the "ME" generation.

However, it's not really a "generation" but simply the attitude of many these days, from newbies to the old farts that hang out on 80m.  They seem to have the same attitude of an old troll that lived in NY.  He always berated "Lids, kids and K8s." 

No doubt I have a negative attitude about the future of ham radio but I sincerely feel that one day we will indeed be the same as 11 meters.  It just won't happen as fast.

WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 06:38:45 PM »

Welcome to planet Earth!  Let me expand on your accurate observations a bit.

Have you noticed that this is the norm for damn near everything that goes on in the country these days?  I call this the "NOW" generation or in some cases the "ME" generation.

However, it's not really a "generation" but simply the attitude of many these days, from newbies to the old farts that hang out on 80m.  They seem to have the same attitude of an old troll that lived in NY.  He always berated "Lids, kids and K8s." 

No doubt I have a negative attitude about the future of ham radio but I sincerely feel that one day we will indeed be the same as 11 meters.  It just won't happen as fast.

I thought it was...No Lids, no kids and no space cadets...
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 08:31:46 PM »

2C: He would call, "CQ CQ CQ, this is W2.. and I don't wanna talk to any lids, kids or K8s."  He would also indicate he didn't want to talk to any "space cadets."  I took that to mean those who used phonetics for their calls.

I've talked to him several times even though I was a K3 at the time.  I guess because not many others would talk to him.

You must be an old fart too!
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 07:09:15 AM »

Check out the thread

https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=66730.0

-Mike N2MG
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 07:34:59 AM »

"I have noticed lately on 40 meters that many op's are using code and digital modes in the phone portion of the band and phone in the digital portion."
Is that true? I haven't been on 40 phone much lately but I'm guessing he has his facts wrong.

In any event CW is legal on just about any frequency (not on 60 M until last year).

Those CW signals could be from a shared user in another country or ham harmonics or a ton of other things.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 07:43:47 AM »

phone in the digital portion

The digital portion is the phone band for many countries. In fact, aren't some US territories allowed to operate phone below the normal U.S. band on 40? Is that still the case?

In most of the world 40 is wide open for all ham modes from 7.000 to the very top.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 07:50:38 AM »

phone in the digital portion

The digital portion is the phone band for many countries. In fact, aren't some US territories allowed to operate phone below the normal U.S. band on 40? Is that still the case?

In most of the world 40 is wide open for all ham modes from 7.000 to the very top.

Quite.  Just as that is, the people who are complaining about someone 'tuning up' right on top of an ongoing conversation have to remember that sometimes the person doing that cannot hear the conversation in progress!  HF is sometimes funny like that--as the more experienced--and more forgiving--hams should know.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 07:52:05 AM »

Yep, phone is legal down there for some US regions. Often heard in contests.

"Phone operation is allowed on 7.025 - 7.100 Mhz in Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands and areas of the Caribbean south of 20° north latitude; and in Hawaii and areas near ITU Region 3, including Alaska."

http://www.csgnetwork.com/hamfreqtable.html
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 08:08:00 AM »

K!CJS: "as the more experienced--and more forgiving--hams should know"

Yep, on 60 meters newbies would often show up and scream about illegal CW, LSB and off channel operation. They didn't know 1) it's a shared allocation; 2) all of those things are legal in other countries for hams.

What's with American hams (more likely CBers) playing all that really loud Bulgarian Music for hours on the high end of 40 phone? Smiley

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 08:47:30 AM »

2MG:  I checked out the link you provided.  It brought back many memories.  Yep, W2OY.....didn't want to use his call initially because of this "sue the bastards" mentality we now have.

As one pointed out Mike didn't want to talk to anyone using "low-level" modulation.  (Some will need to look this up)  He used an old BC-610 and had a booming signal. 

I ran into Mike on the air after a long hiatus from ham radio.  His antics really had me upset because this wasn't ham radio!  After listening to him for a few weeks, usually in a boiling rage, I gave him a call..... K3 call and low-level modulation with my Knightkit T-150A and all.  He came back and he was courteous.  I talked to him a few times after that but most of the time he would ignore me.

Al - K8AXW and a Space Cadet!
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 10:14:59 AM »

thanks Mike.  this recording of him calling CQ from the 1960's was great to listen to after hearing all the talk about W2OY:
http://hamgallery.com/Tribute/W2OY/w2oy2.wav

evidently he was not all bad:

http://hamgallery.com/Tribute/W2OY/

Quote from: W2OY tribute page
At the time W2OY was on the air, the only prefixes that had been issued were W's and K's. The first K's started sometime in the mid 50's, so a K callsign meant you were a Johnny-come-lately. I think "No K Calls" was eventually replaced with "No Slopbuckets".

Some of his other famous sayings were:

"No Buster Brown Haircutters, No Phoney Phonetics, Only real Hams please"

"No Wet Bottoms (WB prefixes?)"

"No Kings, No Queens, No Jacks, No Long-talkin' Old Washer Women"

I have heard that Mike was always very good with the local children. At his funeral, there were dozens of kids who mourned his loss. It was generally unknown on the airwaves that he was very active working with kids and various groups in their behalf.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 11:31:04 AM »

I have not heard digital or CW signals in the phone portion of 40 meters. There is a net that operates on 7.153 during the morning hours that does have some CW check ins. But other than that I don't hear what the original poster is talking about.

Yes there are phone ops below 7.100 because it is legal for us to operate there. I for one rarely operate phone down there but I can if I want. I have had other VE stations start up QSO's on 7.076 while I was operating JT65. But that is life, they don't realize what the JT65 signal sounds like so they just start up a QSO on top of it.

Spin the VFO dial if it annoys you that much!

I am pretty sure Alaska ops can operate phone below 7.100 but maybe that has changed.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 04:23:43 AM »

K!CJS: "as the more experienced--and more forgiving--hams should know"

Yep, on 60 meters newbies would often show up and scream about illegal CW, LSB and off channel operation. They didn't know 1) it's a shared allocation; 2) all of those things are legal in other countries for hams.

What's with American hams (more likely CBers) playing all that really loud Bulgarian Music for hours on the high end of 40 phone? Smiley  

The quoted comment was made about hams who don't know (or care) about propagation anomalies that well can let one station be heard, yet will make another station 'deaf', not about idiots who believe that just because they're allowed frequency useage that they own that frequency!   Grin

I see the smiley, but I thought the high end of 40 was used in some middle eastern countries as a broadcast band.  Yes?  or no?
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 09:16:26 AM »

2C: He would call, "CQ CQ CQ, this is W2.. and I don't wanna talk to any lids, kids or K8s."  He would also indicate he didn't want to talk to any "space cadets."  I took that to mean those who used phonetics for their calls.

I've talked to him several times even though I was a K3 at the time.  I guess because not many others would talk to him.

You must be an old fart too!

No, Myron disapproved of those who used the then-new Whiskey Alpha "space cadet" phonetics, rather than the older, WWII Willie Able phonetics. 

Neil N3DF
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: