Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FLGIGI BEHAVING STRANGELY  (Read 2241 times)
W6PJJ

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2013, 08:59:57 PM »

We just installed FLDIGI into a iMAC G5 and did the complete configuration... just like it is on another iMac we have here. The problem I am encountering is that when I go to save the Configuration Files, I do not see the normal file save panel with the options for selecting where one wishes to save the file. I took a look at the files area for FLDIGI and see the file ( fldigi_def.xml ) which according to the FLDIGI Help Site... is the correct name of the configuration file. We do not know why the prompts are not showing after the save command and the files are not being saved. When we re-boot the Computer and open FLDIGI, its the default settings and not my changes.

What am I missing Here?

Don-W6PJJ
 Cool

VA3CDG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 09:19:31 PM »

What OS versions on each.

I have a feeling the "other" mac has a newer version of the OS with more strict access right policies and default behaviors.

Check the write time-stamp of the xml file on the G5 before and after saving to confirm that it is indeed saving.

Chris VA3CDG
AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 09:09:34 AM »

We just installed FLDIGI into a iMAC G5 and did the complete configuration... just like it is on another iMac we have here. The problem I am encountering is that when I go to save the Configuration Files, I do not see the normal file save panel with the options for selecting where one wishes to save the file. I took a look at the files area for FLDIGI and see the file ( fldigi_def.xml ) which according to the FLDIGI Help Site... is the correct name of the configuration file. We do not know why the prompts are not showing after the save command and the files are not being saved. When we re-boot the Computer and open FLDIGI, its the default settings and not my changes.

It should have been saved in ~/.fldigi which is a hidden directory in your home directory.
Do you have the finder set to reveal hidden files/directories on the iMac where it is not visible?

W6PJJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 09:25:37 AM »

What OS versions on each.

I have a feeling the "other" mac has a newer version of the OS with more strict access right policies and default behaviors.

Check the write time-stamp of the xml file on the G5 before and after saving to confirm that it is indeed saving.

Chris VA3CDG

The other Macs have Snow Leopard 10.6. That I did not consider and could very well be the reason for the behavior. This iMac is running 10.4.11. I will have to install Leopard into this machine and see it that is the cure.

Thanks for your reply and remarks.
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 07:55:38 AM »

Don,
This is configurable in your configuration options. Please read carefully

1) Under "Configure", "UI", General"....do you have the selections under "Exit Prompts" checked...."Prompt to save Configuration", "Prompt to save log", "Prompt to save macro file"? If not, then Fldigi will not prompt you to save anything and when you restart, your configurations will be back to normal.

2) As addressed in the "Exit Prompts" section in Fldigi, if you use CMD+Q or the close button at the top of the window, these dialogs will NOT show up. They only appear if you use the "File", "Exit" option.

3) On my setup on OS X, if I select "Configure" and then make a change, I can select "Save" at the bottom of every window, or select "Save Config" at the bottom of the "Configure" menu. In neither case do I get a dialog asking for confirmation of where to save the changes...it just saves them. HOWEVER, if I have the options selected from paragraph 1 (Exit Prompts) AND I go to "File", "Exit", then the prompts DO show up.

I honestly think that this isn't a difference in OS X versions, it is a difference in configuration settings that you are overlooking. If you read my paragraph 1 and you select those options, AND you use the "File", "Exit", you should get what you want. As far back as I can remember (at least to Leopard), this is the way Fldigi on OS X has worked.

Hope this is of help

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: