Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Direct TV DVR problems  (Read 39577 times)
NH6RF

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 10:00:08 AM »

When I had the Direct TV antenna's installed, I purposely had them put as far away from my 6BTV verticle as possible. I have two 100watt transmitters within 10 feet of the DVR and have had zero RFI problems.
AC6IJ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 01:35:10 PM »

I also have the same problems with my direct tv HR-24 200 doing all the crazy things like recording programs etc. when I key up my HF transceiver.
I called direct tv and spent hours trying to get help on this and they even asked me what Amateur Radio was?
After long talks and many of there comments the bottom line was this:  The problem could be solved if I replaced my existing
HR-24-200 receiver with an older HR-20 model because it has a metal case and would not be bothered by my transceivers RF.
They also said that this would be called an upgrade to exchange my receiver to an older model and because it's called an upgrade,
they could send me one of five receivers that they had but they could not guarantee that I would get the HR-20 and possibly one of the same that I'm sending back, and also because it's called an upgrade, my service would be extended another 24 months.
I hope this info. helps other hams who have the same problems and I am still working on a way to solve the problem.  Bill  AC6IJ
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2013, 04:26:00 AM »

...After long talks and many of there comments the bottom line was this:  The problem could be solved if I replaced my existing HR-24-200 receiver with an older HR-20 model because it has a metal case and would not be bothered by my transceivers RF.  They also said that this would be called an upgrade.....but they could not guarantee that I would get the HR-20 and possibly (would get) one of the same that I'm sending back, and also because it's called an upgrade, my service would be extended another 24 months....

Yeah, that's the way they work--they ship out garbage--and YOU have to pay to get the issues straightened out.  You could threaten them with FCC action--but they probably have the FCC's ear.

There is one way to get by this, though.  Buy your own equipment.  If you Google the HR-20, you'll find there are some for sale, and as long as DirecTV supoports them, you can use them.  You'll save by not having to pay the equipment rental fees anymore, too.  They HAVE TO send you smart card upgrades to be able to use the device you own as long as they support it and you pay your subscription fee too.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 09:09:48 AM »

...After long talks and many of there comments the bottom line was this:  The problem could be solved if I replaced my existing HR-24-200 receiver with an older HR-20 model because it has a metal case and would not be bothered by my transceivers RF.  They also said that this would be called an upgrade.....but they could not guarantee that I would get the HR-20 and possibly (would get) one of the same that I'm sending back, and also because it's called an upgrade, my service would be extended another 24 months....

Yeah, that's the way they work--they ship out garbage--and YOU have to pay to get the issues straightened out.  You could threaten them with FCC action--but they probably have the FCC's ear.

There is one way to get by this, though.  Buy your own equipment.  If you Google the HR-20, you'll find there are some for sale, and as long as DirecTV supoports them, you can use them.  You'll save by not having to pay the equipment rental fees anymore, too.  They HAVE TO send you smart card upgrades to be able to use the device you own as long as they support it and you pay your subscription fee too.

WARNING: The HR-20 is a VERY SLOW unit...  I just upgraded, and the 20 is so slow it was unbearable...  I am having zero issues with RFI either ingress, or outgoing from the latest unit...  My antenna is less than 30 feet from the unit, I am running 1 KW... If I can shoot some photos or something to help let me know...  I am using lots of ferrite snap on devices.

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
KB5ZSM

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 10:29:33 PM »

Nice Web Site Dave.... That will make some good reading. May even print it out for my notebook.

73s, Win
KB5ZSM
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 12:29:09 AM »

Nice Web Site Dave.... That will make some good reading. May even print it out for my notebook.

73s, Win
KB5ZSM

Thank you Win!  That sort of comment really means a lot to me...  I put in a lot of work on the site...  I was going to add something to the site about use of Ferrite clamp on devices, but there are so many other really good sites dealing with that sort of thing, I would just waste people's time if I tried to add much to that subject.  On a good note, I did remove a one S-unit RFI problem I had using the clamp on's again today... One of my computers was adding an S unit of hash on pretty much all bands...  Added a ferrite on each lead, and all gone! 

I may try adding them to the spark plug wires in my car to see if they reduce the RFI on the mobile rig...  I have a 2004 Tahoe, and the thing is GAWD awful for spark plug RFI, but that is for another thread...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
AC6IJ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 03:13:26 PM »

I fixed the problem I had with RF messing up my Direct TV HR-24 200 by placing a thin aluminum sheet that covers the top and down the front and then underneath about 1 1/2". The sides are left alone. That is all I did and I didn't need any other devices to cure the problem. An extremely easy fix. Whenever I use the Direct TV and not the Ham rigs I simply remove the aluminum.  Bill
AC6IJ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 11:09:54 PM »

Well I spoke too soon, my HR-24 200 started messing up again so I cancelled my Direct TV service at a cost of $400 but now I can at least use my ham radios again. Bill
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 10:50:47 AM »

The problem is in their equipment! They have a duty to the consumer to provide their service, since they could not/would not provide the service, you are at least entitle to a charge free cancellation.

Everytime the system messed up I would have bugged them until they fixed it. It is their problem, make them eat the charges.

KF7CG
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 04:33:50 AM »

....It is their problem, make them eat the charges.

With these satellite companies, that is way far easier said than done.  They're of the opinion (even though it's wrong) that the subscriber has to accept their equipment AND its faults--or that subscriber can go elsewhere for their TV service.  Since it costs far more to fight them than it's worth.....
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2013, 10:32:46 AM »

That is why you put them in your speed-dial and everytime you have an RFI issue with the DVR you call their tech suport and log a call. After about 10 to 15 logged service issues you have enough evidence of the service not be of merchantable quality and the Federal and State Trade guys will have a field day with them if they don't let you cancel without penalty. Become a large enough annoyance and they will eat the early cancellation fee to get rid of you.

KF7CG
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2013, 09:38:17 AM »

With Directv, you had better have a service contract for the equipment maintenance before trying to play the call and complain game... otherwise it is a 50 dollar service call charge to your acct. every time they run a tech out to your house.

Pete
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 10:57:20 AM »

Having dealt with DirecTV more than I care to and still using their service, I have learned a few tricks. Go on their serivce contract, unless they have changed it, it is month to month and only about $6 a month. With the contract in place, give them a bunch of calls. When the service tech arrives, put someone else with him and then give the system H*** while he is there to observe. You may have to clean up the hair behind him.

Be sure to have a copy of Part 15 around and the Part 15 note on the equipment. If you are leasing the equipment then they "own" the problem.

KF7CG
NW6V

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 01:37:03 PM »

Hello.

I had problems with RFI getting into my H24-200. I concluded that the cause was the front panel touch-sensitive controls. I've sen the same problem on a touch-sensitive lamp, and on an OOMA VoIP phone device. On the H24-200 I solved it by wrapping a sheet of aluminum foil around the front third of the device, then crumpling it over the front, leaving a hole open on the left front of the device through which the remote could operate. This "Faraday shield" totally resolved the problem.

The info (and others' frustrations) can be seen in the DirecTV site at http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/forums/displaypost?postID=11061986

You'll see my info under the username "chrisrut".

You can also find the link by googling "DirecTV RFI NW6V"

At first the XYL complained a bit - now we sometimes joke about fixing the problem with a "tinfoil hat."

73 and GL, Chris NW6V
KC7CRR

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2013, 03:45:29 PM »

Help

Am having similar problems with my DIRECTV DVR (newer model with touch controls, but not Genie). Have tried about everything except using a different tranceiver.
For those of you who have replaced the unit with an older model with analog switches (which DIRECTV considers an upgrade), did you have to pay for it? I have contacted DIRECTV and they want $99 for that model. I'd be willing to pay the money, but only if the unit works while I'm transmitting.
Jerry (W5RCQ), thanks for your input. Unfortunately, covering most of the DVR surfaces with foil didn't help a bit  (however, Martian aliens may not be able to access it...hihi!).

Tnx & 73

Bob KC7CRR
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: