Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prudential Blows Morse Code Based Ad Campaign  (Read 922 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: November 15, 2009, 06:06:16 PM »

Prudential Financial has launched a national ad campaign featuring Morse code, specifically SOS.

"The multimillion dollar advertising campaign centers around Prudential answering an "SOS" call from corporations looking for a partner with the financial strength and solutions for their retirement plans."
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/prudential-financial-launches-morse-code-sos-advertising-campaign-2009-10-16

I discovered this when I passed the TV yesterday and distinctly heard "VTTS" being repeated in loud Morse. What the heck is that I wondered, and turned to see SOS plastered on the screen.

..._/ - / - /...

Sometimes not knowing Morse or maybe just having a bad fist can cost you your cushy job on Madison Avenue. Another good reason to know code.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 12:07:23 PM »

Interesting.

Could it be that they did not want to broadcast the actual message "SOS" and used a sort of facsimile?

Most people wouldn't know the difference between SOS and VTTS because of the similarity.

But we do.
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 01:39:08 PM »

I heard it a few days ago it sounded like E-I-O-I-E. I was in the kitchen and had no idea of what it was but thought it had come from the TV. Tnx for the heads up...

73 de Lindy
AD7WN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 05:01:34 PM »

Yeah, I heard that sound coming from the TV room, where the XYL had been for the last hour or so.  I was wondering if the ham bug had finally bitten her after some 47 years, and what the heck is VTTS.  LOL, just an ad agency that doesn't know morse.

73 de John/AD7WN
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 04:31:34 AM »

If I saw my XYL doing code, it would be a genuine SOS because I would know she had been abducted by aliens and reprogrammed.

I'd also check to see whether hell had frozen over.
N9GXA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 03:27:11 PM »

I saw that. It sounded like they needed to add a bit more space in between the first S and O. Or maybe this is their way of getting us to talk about it; "No such thing as bad publicity", or something like that.

73 - Paul - N9GXA
N9GXA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 03:41:01 AM »

I just heard the commercial again this morning and they fixed it! Are they reading this forum? ;-)

73 - Paul - N9GXA
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 01:45:41 PM »

I've heard it.. I thought I first heard VTTS as well, until I figured they messed the spacing up. Well, at least it's Morse Code.. just poorly sent.
N7FE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 08:26:39 PM »

I do believe it is illegal to send SOS, regardless of the method or audience, unless it is an actual emergency, isn't it?
N9GXA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 08:53:26 PM »

> I do believe it is illegal to send SOS, regardless of the method or audience, unless it is an actual emergency, isn't it?

Could be. Of course, when I look at my retirement account, it is kind of an emergency.. hihi
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 08:18:09 AM »

I believe there has to be an intent to deceive.  Otherwise, there could be no commercials or advertising for "SOS" scrubber pads.

And on May 1 every year, you couldn't refer to May Day.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 03:11:31 PM »

I noted the same 'joke' the first several times I heard it. THEN... on another channel the Prudential Ad had been changed to a VERY CLEAR   S-O-S.  *I* couldn't send it better!

Looks like the technical viewers on one channel called for a change; the others did not........

dm
KL0S

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 04:50:25 PM »

With nothing better to do one day I actually called Prudential and got ahold of their public relations department.  They told me I wasn't the only one to call and offer that the code was incorrect and that they had pulled the original ad and were reworking it.  The redone ad's code isn't really sent correctly with regard to character speed and spacing but at least the characters are now correct!

I told them they should get their money back from whatever ad agency put it together for them!

Dino KL0S
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 05:35:31 PM »

"I told them they should get their money back from whatever ad agency put it together for them! "

Well, not so fast.

Look at it this way.

1. The TV "spot" (not ad*) got your attention, didn't it?

2. It got people talking about it, right?

3. There is no question about who the advertiser is.

So, exactly how did the advertising agency fail the client?

This is probably not an accident, especially considering that not all of the spots have been pulled and replaced by the "corrected" ones. Why do you think that is?  

This is how advertising works.

Seems far fetched, but after having worked in that industry it seems very reasonable to me.

*In broadcasting, commercial content is referred to as a "spot," and not an "ad" ( except of course by the public.)

Print media, newpapers, magazines, etc. run "ads."
KL0S

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 06:10:32 PM »

"So, exactly how did the advertising agency fail the client? "

You have a good point....however, in general if a company doesn't get the small details right then I'm suspect if they'll get the big things right when it counts.  Attention to detail is what makes a good organization.

Point IN their favor is that they considered feedback from potential customers and corrected the problem.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: