Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Collins 30L 1  (Read 2523 times)
AD9DX

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2013, 06:39:56 AM »

I got a Collins 30L 1 in with a bunch of stuff from an estate. I was hoping to restore it but don't have the time or expertise to do so. How in the world do I go about selling it?

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 07:27:28 AM »

1. Ebay, 2. Eham.net classfieds, 3. qrz.com classfieds, qth.com classifieds.  Advetise it and it should sell for a normal price no problem.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 07:43:48 AM »

1. Ebay, 2. Eham.net classfieds, 3. qrz.com classfieds, qth.com classifieds.  Advetise it and it should sell for a normal price no problem.

What does one that appears to be complete except for a power cord and some screws go for?  There are some parts that are unassembled inside but all important parts are there?

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 08:40:28 AM »

I would place it on Ebay and set a reserve of say 300 and see what bids bring

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 09:41:12 AM »

I bought my 30L1 two years ago at a hamfest for $600.  It is a "winged" model with original manual.  The cabinet looks new, chassis is shiny, no dust, Filter caps had been replaced, and it was demonstrated to put out 600+ watts from 4 each RCA 811A tubes before I bought it.

A similar amp on ebay would probably go for $800 or more.

Since you do not know if yours even works, if the tubes are good (not just present), if the filter caps have been replaced, if the transformer is smoked, etc etc, it is very hard to say what it is worth.

Like already suggested, put it on ebay with pictures and see what happens.  IMO ham gear on ebay goes for quite a bit more than it is worth.

Dick  AD4U
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 10:02:47 AM »

I bought my 30L1 two years ago at a hamfest for $600.  It is a "winged" model with original manual.  The cabinet looks new, chassis is shiny, no dust, Filter caps had been replaced, and it was demonstrated to put out 600+ watts from 4 each RCA 811A tubes before I bought it.

A similar amp on ebay would probably go for $800 or more.

Since you do not know if yours even works, if the tubes are good (not just present), if the filter caps have been replaced, if the transformer is smoked, etc etc, it is very hard to say what it is worth.

Like already suggested, put it on ebay with pictures and see what happens.  IMO ham gear on ebay goes for quite a bit more than it is worth.

Dick  AD4U

There are no tubes. Transformer checks out electrically. I am sad to sell the old amp. I really wanted to restore it. But time is in short supply.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 10:36:04 AM »

What does one that appears to be complete except for a power cord and some screws go for?  There are some parts that are unassembled inside but all important parts are there?

Some parts unassembled inside? 

Sounds to me like a "project" amp that was in the middle of the project when the work stopped.

I wouldn't trust it to work at all, no matter how it looks.

Take good photographs inside and out, list it and hope for the best. Wink
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 10:53:09 AM »

Some parts unassembled inside? 

Sounds to me like a "project" amp that was in the middle of the project when the work stopped.

I wouldn't trust it to work at all, no matter how it looks.

Take good photographs inside and out, list it and hope for the best. Wink

That's exactly what it appears to be. I feel bad for the amp.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 06:01:40 PM »

I put it on QRZ this afternoon with detailed pictures.  Put the price at $375 and it sold in an hour and a half.  I am very happy with the result.  One step closer to getting my K3!

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 11:11:12 PM »

I was going to suggest you send it to me and I'd fix it up for you. I love working on that model amp(other than those two front cabinet screws). Very well built and I have spare parts laying about already. Good luck to the new owner!

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 03:14:26 AM »

I was going to suggest you send it to me and I'd fix it up for you. I love working on that model amp(other than those two front cabinet screws). Very well built and I have spare parts laying about already. Good luck to the new owner!

Thank you for the offer, it is very kind of you.

I hope the new owner gets a lot of joy out of it.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: