Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 9M4SLL I can't hear them!!!  (Read 5587 times)
KA5N

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2013, 08:27:23 AM »

I hear the pileups but I have not heard a peep out of 9M4SLL.  I have been able to work
all the Dxpeditions for the past 2-3 years but I simply do not hear Spratly on any frequency.
It is disapointing to hear hams from all corners of the world working them and read how many
"fills" are bragged about in the forum.  Maybe I should try long path?  Of course that is
5000 miles farther.  Maybe some magic bean stalk extract to get the HEX beam a bit higher.
Drat!
Allen KA5N   (one contact would be enough for An  ATNO!! )
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 08:28:32 AM »

They were light here yesterday. But I couldn't get them on any bands I actually need.
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 08:36:44 AM »

They are calling for NA on 24.985.1 right now at 15:36
I never heard a peep before but I got them on 3 calls with a lowly vertical.  Hang in there!

VA2FSQ
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 08:41:36 AM »

They have never been very strong here at my QTH. For both of my contacts on CW (12 and 15M), they were very weak and I was surprised they heard me. The SSB contact was most likely due to calling them much higher in freq, since the pileup was so broad.

My 12 M contact is not on their log, so I guess I will have to wade in the pileup and try it again!  Sad

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 08:42:24 AM »

It might be just the DX gods playing with you.  If you are able to work other dxpeditions then your station is functioning ok.  Just hang in there.  GL.

Jonathan W6GX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 10:20:18 AM »

They were very strong on 15 meter phone yesterday @ 1600Z and very strong a little later in the day on 20 meter phone.  I was surprised to work them on 12 meter phone this morning and they had few takers. Seems like the phone pileups have thinned out considerably but 17 meter CW is proving to be difficult. The Vatican, on 15 meter phone, has a much bigger pileup than 9M4SLL did on 12 meters.

BTW, Francesco, HV0A, said he would be active for a few more days. I got the impression he will pull the plug when they announce a new pope. If that is truly the case I hope there is a lot more black smoke as I could use them on many bands and modes.  Wink

Chris/NU1O
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:25:41 AM by NU1O » Logged
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 11:13:20 AM »

Allen, I'm about 60 miles up the highway from you.

They were about a 579 on 12m cw Monday evening @23:00, about a 569 @00:07 on 10m cw last night. LP was considerably worse.

15m they have been weaker, 20m has been barely in there in the evenings. I listened on 40m this morning, not too loud, I didn't need them there + was headed out the door to work.

Good luck.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 01:24:30 PM »

BTW, Francesco, HV0A, said he would be active for a few more days. I got the impression he will pull the plug when they announce a new pope. If that is truly the case I hope there is a lot more black smoke as I could use them on many bands and modes.  Wink

Chris/NU1O

Well it looks like that won't happen. White smoke today!
N4KC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 07:55:59 PM »

Allen, me, too.  I've been watching the spots, I see stateside stations spotting them, yet I hear nothing...zilch...nada...ought...except the occasional "UP UP!  UP!"  At least that confirms I'm listening in the right place and they are still there...even if I hear only hiss and freq cops.

Seems the southern tier of states are having the toughest time, though after I say that, we'll probably get lots of posts from our neighborhood saying they have worked 9M4SLL multiple times and modes.

They did have a pretty good signal on 20M CW this morning about 1600Z but practically all the contacts were with Europe.  And then they faded to...well...hiss.

We'll get 'em!

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com
(Author of the new book RIDING THE SHORTWAVES:
EXPLORING THE MAGIC OF AMATEUR RADIO)

W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 09:19:38 PM »

Today around 2000z they were begging on 17m and so was the case on 15m ssb around 1500z.
Pretty strong signal and could work em barefoot. But should confess that the antenna is close to
70ft high and is a 3ele steppir.

They were on 12m cw around their sunrise and while the copy was reasonable here, he seems
to have had a hard time hearing and picking out the callers. The Qso rate was too slow, hence
we turned on the amp and by the time it came online,he was Gonzo. Wish i had called on the
service of the 3-500z instead.

Gotta wait for another opportunity.

Good luck
Krish
w4vku
V47JA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 09:24:43 PM »

Hi,

You think you have problems working them..... You should try to getting through the US wall of stations from the Caribbean.

John  V47JA
K9SRV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 04:09:51 AM »

John,
Thanks for the recent QSO. I have not heard them last time or this
DX-PED. I admit I have a modest station, but not to even HEAR them,
either trip is strange. Can anyone give a rundown on their equipment?

John Huh
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 05:27:15 AM »

Hi,

You think you have problems working them..... You should try to getting through the US wall of stations from the Caribbean.

John  V47JA

Yesterday, I heard him asking for Caribbean only. Several stations from Puerto Rico worked him at that time.  You would've had to be lucky enough to be listening when he asked for your region but not many expeditions single out the Caribbean at all.

Chris/NU1O
N4KC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 08:44:02 AM »

John, I'm using a hexbeam at 47 feet plus a vertical and various wire antennas, and I run 400W CW/600W SSB.  I can usually do fine to VK/ZL, Oceania, and Africa but SE Asia is always a problem from here.

I got up early this morning and they had a decent signal here on 40M CW at about 1100Z.  I tried for about an hour before they faded.  Most QSOs were with JAs, of course.  Then they switched to 30M about 1230Z and had a better signal.  However, with a ton of us calling, he kept calling CQ and made very few QSOs.  I think they have noise and QRN issues on some bands.

I'll keep trying...and yes, I know.  They are working "SPLEET!  SPLEET!"

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com

K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 08:53:12 AM »

Then they switched to 30M about 1230Z and had a better signal.  However, with a ton of us calling, he kept calling CQ and made very few QSOs.  I think they have noise and QRN issues on some bands.

That happened the other day on 30M as well.  They were CQing repeatedly into a wall of US stations calling.  I also thought noise or QRN...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: