Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 9M4SLL I can't hear them!!!  (Read 5293 times)
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 12:49:27 PM »

Last night all night long from about 2300-00130Z I saw spots for 12 meters, 17 meters, and 15 meters and went to my rig and heard NOTHING. Then at around 0200Z I turned on the rig, it was still on 21035 and BAM, there they were!! Very readable, but I never got them with 400 watts/dipole up 25 feet. Could not find where they were listening.

But they were REPORTED to be on 15 meters for HOURS, I could only hear them for about 30 minutes. Too bad I missed the early afternoon openings on 17 meters due to work, maybe tomorrow morning.

Heard them on 30 this morning too, but they were only working JAs and an occassional VK.

paul
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 01:16:03 PM »

Heard them the first day, since then NADA.
To add insult to injury, the POWERLINE RFI is back again.

RFI has been silent since March 2, 2012 when the utility
replaced hardware on a pole just east of me. Been quiet
all last summer, fall and winter.
Now that things are drying out, VOILA it is back.

Already have a new complaint filed.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 03:49:39 PM »

Seems that we are not alone.  I finally heard them on 20 meters and I called and called
but the pileup was too much and I never got through.  Today they were supposed to be on
several bands but again other folks were working them and I heard nothing (except for
people calling on their working frequency).   It must have something to do with antennas or
propagation.  With other expeditions with similar antennas and near the sea, they pound in
signals.  I keep hoping that I will turn the rig on and get a 59  and forget about this expedition.People always say "If it was too easy it wouldn't be any fun."   "Well, if it is too hard it isn't fun either."
Write if you work them, and remember to hang by your thumbs  (with apoligies to Bob and Ray
how I miss those two wonderful guys!)
73 Allen KA5N
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 04:00:52 PM »

Weird - they were easy on 12 and 10M and they have had GREAT signals on 160 and 80M - but they don't hear so well on the low bands. I have everything else in between.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 04:25:58 PM »

Nothing here yet
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 05:57:14 PM »

Weird - they were easy on 12 and 10M and they have had GREAT signals on 160 and 80M - but they don't hear so well on the low bands. I have everything else in between.

I heard them cq'n on 160m yesterday morning, but they got spotted by a JA and the herd descended before he heard me , if he would have heard me (not likely, but I can hope) at all.

I did get 'em on 80m cw this morning, finally.
N4KC

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 07:01:43 PM »

Happy guy update:

Saw them spotted last night about 0200Z on 15 CW.  Well, 15 CW is usually dead as a typical armadillo on Interstate 65 by that time of night, but what the heck?  I dialed up there and sure enough, I could hear them most of the time, just above the noise.  I called three or four times though I could not hear enough calling stations to find where he was listening.  But then, I heard what I thought was my call just as a freq cop began screeching, "UP UP UP UP."  I answered with a report and definitely heard a "TU" at about the right time.

I put the contact in the log and immediately uploaded to LOTW.  Then, when I checked this morning...BINGO!  9M4SLL confirmed!  And it was my 300th worked, 275th confirmed. 

Earlier, about 1330Z, I could barely hear them on 30M but again, lots of guys calling but they kept CQing and working very few.  Then, tonight I saw a spot on 12M CW about 0030Z.  I gave one call with 100 watts and heard, "N4CC 599."  I corrected the call and I think...I hope...he came back with it right.  We'll see if it shows up on LOTW.

See, it can be done...

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com
(Author of the new book RIDING THE SHORTWAVES:
EXPLORING THE MAGIC OF AMATEUR RADIO)

WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 06:09:11 AM »

I also got them yesterday, finally. I couldn't hear them all week, but when I came home from work yesterday, as soon as DXLab came up I saw a spot for 17m RTTY. I finally had good copy and was able to work them with only 100W. I just checked Club Log and saw my greenie. Ahhhhh.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 07:17:13 AM »

I just worked them on 160M, which for me is easily as good as any ATNO.

I have to say that using 300 watts to a Cushcraft MA-160V for TX and K9AY Loops for RX gives me what has turned out to be (by far) the most enjoyable DX-ing I have ever experienced.

I guess I love the "nostalgic" feel that I am DX-ing on a band that is close to where ham radio started - just above the AM radio band.

I love the sunrise propagation peaks on 160M and the "variable" nature of its propagation. It goes very well with morning coffee - hi hi. I am just having pure fun on this band - with no pressure of worrying about an award. What a blast!
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 01:22:21 PM »

I have to say that using 300 watts to a Cushcraft MA-160V for TX and K9AY Loops for RX gives me what has turned out to be (by far) the most enjoyable DX-ing I have ever experienced.

I guess I love the "nostalgic" feel that I am DX-ing on a band that is close to where ham radio started - just above the AM radio band.

I love the sunrise propagation peaks on 160M and the "variable" nature of its propagation. It goes very well with morning coffee - hi hi. I am just having pure fun on this band - with no pressure of worrying about an award. What a blast!

Congrats!  Do you have to fight a big pileup to get the Q, or just really good ears, or both?

Jonathan W6GX
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2013, 04:02:58 PM »

Congrats!  Do you have to fight a big pileup to get the Q, or just really good ears, or both?

Jonathan W6GX

For this one it took both. They have been on 160 and 80 every morning, but every day have said they couldn't hear well due to QRN and QRM. Today - the guy was running West Coast well, and there were many in the pileup. I can only run 300 watts on 160M - which is like QRP with everyone else - but I just placed my signal in between all of the kilowatts and was heard. Today his signal was very strong as far as 160M is concerned - of course - causing the bigger than usual pileup.

The morning grey line pileups are great - the herd is thinner (just West Coast) when I worked him, so I had a good chance. I worked him when it was daylight out - so there was an excellent "enhancement" that seemed to last about 20 minutes or so.
WG5G

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2013, 06:11:31 PM »

Hello to all, I was chasing Spratley for the DX marathon point and having a ruff time qrp, well they were spotted on 28.035 Wednesday evening so I said what the heck probably wont hear them but tried anyway, well nothing heard on 28.035, but did hear something up above, it was 9M4SLL calling cq with an S - 8 signal, 1 call with 5 watts bingo, talk abt luck, someone miss spotted him and made it easy, 73 Dan WG5G.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2013, 07:10:16 PM »

Hello to all, I was chasing Spratley for the DX marathon point and having a ruff time qrp, well they were spotted on 28.035 Wednesday evening so I said what the heck probably wont hear them but tried anyway, well nothing heard on 28.035, but did hear something up above, it was 9M4SLL calling cq with an S - 8 signal, 1 call with 5 watts bingo, talk abt luck, someone miss spotted him and made it easy, 73 Dan WG5G.

I also saw you worked TU2CI with 5 watts.  If you have a secret please share it with us Wink

Jonathan W6GX
WG5G

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2013, 07:43:25 PM »

Good evening Jonathan, Tnx fer puttin out the TU2CI, If I cud get an endorsement deal with GEM QUAD PRODUCTS I wud be rich, HI HI. Actually the original owner made the spreaders - extra heavy duty and sold me the extra spiders but actually said he will not warranty the monster I was building. the quad has 5 ele on ten mtrs and 4 0n 20 mtrs, I really cant explain why the quad plays so gud, Ill tell you this, I used a 2 ele quad at 30 ft to reach the 299 ctry level qrp, I was really stuck, so at that point I was able to move up on a ridge, design and build the monster quad and now have 341 all time 333 current mixed HR. The point Im trying to make is before I started playing in the Marathon I only got on the air for ATNO'S, This antenna was designed for one purpose, to work DX, so now I enjoy working the Marathon because theres always a new one to work. 73 Dan WG5G.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2013, 09:25:20 PM »

Good evening Jonathan, Tnx fer puttin out the TU2CI, If I cud get an endorsement deal with GEM QUAD PRODUCTS I wud be rich, HI HI. Actually the original owner made the spreaders - extra heavy duty and sold me the extra spiders but actually said he will not warranty the monster I was building. the quad has 5 ele on ten mtrs and 4 0n 20 mtrs, I really cant explain why the quad plays so gud, Ill tell you this, I used a 2 ele quad at 30 ft to reach the 299 ctry level qrp, I was really stuck, so at that point I was able to move up on a ridge, design and build the monster quad and now have 341 all time 333 current mixed HR. The point Im trying to make is before I started playing in the Marathon I only got on the air for ATNO'S, This antenna was designed for one purpose, to work DX, so now I enjoy working the Marathon because theres always a new one to work. 73 Dan WG5G.

Incredible.  You should name her the 'Big Bertha'.

Jonathan W6GX
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: