Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 9M4SLL I can't hear them!!!  (Read 4491 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2013, 03:56:54 AM »

Good evening Jonathan, Tnx fer puttin out the TU2CI, If I cud get an endorsement deal with GEM QUAD PRODUCTS I wud be rich, HI HI. Actually the original owner made the spreaders - extra heavy duty and sold me the extra spiders but actually said he will not warranty the monster I was building. the quad has 5 ele on ten mtrs and 4 0n 20 mtrs, I really cant explain why the quad plays so gud, Ill tell you this, I used a 2 ele quad at 30 ft to reach the 299 ctry level qrp, I was really stuck, so at that point I was able to move up on a ridge, design and build the monster quad and now have 341 all time 333 current mixed HR. The point Im trying to make is before I started playing in the Marathon I only got on the air for ATNO'S, This antenna was designed for one purpose, to work DX, so now I enjoy working the Marathon because theres always a new one to work. 73 Dan WG5G.

Incredible.  You should name her the 'Big Bertha'.

Jonathan W6GX

That name might now be available:

http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/bigbertha.htm

KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2013, 06:22:01 AM »

Just worked them on 80M, so now have it on 160 - 10M. Spratly was actually considered quite rare back in 2001 when I first started DX-ing. It has been activated at least 4 times since then.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2013, 07:35:01 AM »

Hello to all, I was chasing Spratley for the DX marathon point and having a ruff time qrp, well they were spotted on 28.035 Wednesday evening so I said what the heck probably wont hear them but tried anyway, well nothing heard on 28.035, but did hear something up above, it was 9M4SLL calling cq with an S - 8 signal, 1 call with 5 watts bingo, talk abt luck, someone miss spotted him and made it easy, 73 Dan WG5G.

I also saw you worked TU2CI with 5 watts.  If you have a secret please share it with us Wink

Jonathan W6GX

Any idea how to QSL? Most people seem unsuccessful getting direct QSL out of them.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2013, 07:44:07 AM »

Hello to all, I was chasing Spratley for the DX marathon point and having a ruff time qrp, well they were spotted on 28.035 Wednesday evening so I said what the heck probably wont hear them but tried anyway, well nothing heard on 28.035, but did hear something up above, it was 9M4SLL calling cq with an S - 8 signal, 1 call with 5 watts bingo, talk abt luck, someone miss spotted him and made it easy, 73 Dan WG5G.

I also saw you worked TU2CI with 5 watts.  If you have a secret please share it with us Wink

Jonathan W6GX

Any idea how to QSL? Most people seem unsuccessful getting direct QSL out of them.

I did not have any trouble getting a quick card from their last trip. Just sent direct to their QSL manager, M0URX.  I know he has online QSL request as well.

73, Gene AF3Y
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2013, 07:55:28 AM »

I also saw you worked TU2CI with 5 watts.  If you have a secret please share it with us Wink

Jonathan W6GX

All of my Q's have shown up in LOTW within a day. I don't need a card for 1S . . . .
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2013, 09:01:57 AM »

Jonathan W6GX

I think you were asking about TU2CI. I got a card direct many years ago - before the civil war or unrest or whatever you call it. I don't think mail with green stamps will make it anymore and their bureau is closed. This is the radio association's headquarter station, but good luck on this one.
Did you miss TU2T?
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2013, 09:06:30 AM »

Jonathan W6GX

I think you were asking about TU2CI. I got a card direct many years ago - before the civil war or unrest or whatever you call it. I don't think mail with green stamps will make it anymore and their bureau is closed. This is the radio association's headquarter station, but good luck on this one.
Did you miss TU2T?

If you are indeed asking about TU2CI please see my latest post under the thread 'DX Across Africa'.  It looks like the call is being recycled or that the caravan is using the club station for the contacts made after March 16.

Jonathan W6GX
N4KC

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2013, 10:01:33 AM »

Happy guy update #2:

Thought I worked them Friday night local on 17M CW but could not be sure.  No confirmation on ClubLog or LOTW by late yesterday (Saturday, local), and they were a legit 569 on 17M CW.  I broke my own rule about re-working a DXpedition and--thankfully for others also calling--got them on the first call.

Joy!  Both 17M QSOs are in ClubLog this morning (Sunday, local) and...even more joy...LOTW.  What a wonderful thing to have such quick confirmation, even if it took a little longer on my second QSO with them.  Spoiled by TX5K's instantaneous cofirm on DXA?  Maybe.  Donation on the way...

Don Keith N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com
(Author of the new book RIDING THE SHORTWAVES:
EXPLORING THE MAGIC OF AMATEUR RADIO)

N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2013, 09:44:31 AM »

Also a happy guy.

My slightly above esp 160m qso from yesterday showed up in LOTW today.

K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2013, 10:31:16 AM »

Sad guy update.

Never worked 'em. Saw post after post after post on 12 meters, I would go there and never hear a PEEP! They had decent sigs into the East coast on 15 meters around 0200Z on Thursday night, I never heard them again. Never ONCE heard them at East coast sunrise on 40, that would probably have been my best shot.

This is a rough path from NE USA;  it was pretty depressing that it SEEMED like there was no real effort to specifically work NE USA. It's their DXpedition, they can do what they want. I wonder how many zone 5 contacts they made? Out of the 44,000 QSOs there were only 15,000 uniques and 50% of all QSOs were with Europe. I think 9M6XRO QTH could not be THAT far away from Spratly, working John from his home QTH has been pretty easy.

This was not a case of being beaten out in the pile-ups, I never even got INTO the pile-ups, rarely heard them (I only do CW, I realize that is a limitation imposed on me by me).

Oh well, it's only a hobby. At least today my LOTW updated and now I am officially at 313 confirmed. But 314 would have been nice!!

paul
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2013, 11:03:22 AM »

K3STX wrote:
Never worked 'em.

I didn't either, Paul, but it is my own fault.  I heard them very well on the bands I was not set up for, antenna wise.  Up until last Friday, all I had was my MA160V vertical for 160m.  I couldn't hear them on 160m, but heard them very well on 40m, 30m, 17m and 12m.  Friday morning I heard them CQ'ing with no responses on 30m (I called them running about 40 watts with 5:1 SWR on the MA160V, but no luck).  Friday was a warm sunny day in St. Louis, so I took down the MA160V for the season, and replaced it with the N6BT vertical dipole setup for 30m.  But then we got the geomagnetic disturbances and I never heard them again. I really wanted them on 30m, because I lack only zone 26 to complete WAZ on that band. 

I've missed a lot of previous Spratly expeditions and been frustrated hearing them work JA's during narrow propagation windows to the Midwest, but several years ago, I worked the DX0JP expedition on 80 meters.  Their QSL card shows a picture of their 80m 4 square at the water's edge.

Good luck next time, and congrats to all who managed to get this one.

Chuck  NI0C 
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2013, 11:07:55 AM »

Sad guy update.

Never worked 'em. Saw post after post after post on 12 meters, I would go there and never hear a PEEP! They had decent sigs into the East coast on 15 meters around 0200Z on Thursday night, I never heard them again. Never ONCE heard them at East coast sunrise on 40, that would probably have been my best shot.

This is a rough path from NE USA;  it was pretty depressing that it SEEMED like there was no real effort to specifically work NE USA. It's their DXpedition, they can do what they want. I wonder how many zone 5 contacts they made? Out of the 44,000 QSOs there were only 15,000 uniques and 50% of all QSOs were with Europe. I think 9M6XRO QTH could not be THAT far away from Spratly, working John from his home QTH has been pretty easy.

This was not a case of being beaten out in the pile-ups, I never even got INTO the pile-ups, rarely heard them (I only do CW, I realize that is a limitation imposed on me by me).

Oh well, it's only a hobby. At least today my LOTW updated and now I am officially at 313 confirmed. But 314 would have been nice!!

paul

Things started off real slow but as the pileups thinned out a bit I was able to work them on 12 through 20 meters.  I did not try to work them on 30 meters or lower. Mostly SSB but on 20 meters both SSB and CW. On 12 and 17 my beam is basically a rotary dipole so it didn't take anything extraordinary.  I do have a legal limit amp and would not have liked to try and break the pileups with just 100W.

At times I did hear them asking for NA only. Not the NE, or areas 1, 2, and 3 only, but since you didn't really hear them but once it wouldn't have made any difference.

The trips to Spratly are becoming regular so you will get other chances.  Good luck.

Chris/NU1O
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2013, 11:13:50 AM »

Heard them the first day, since then NADA.
To add insult to injury, the POWERLINE RFI is back again.

RFI has been silent since March 2, 2012 when the utility
replaced hardware on a pole just east of me. Been quiet
all last summer, fall and winter.
Now that things are drying out, VOILA it is back.

Already have a new complaint filed.

Never did hear them again since the first day.
Not surprizing though.

Didn't hear either Timor-Leste or Christmas Island when they were
activated some time back.

C'est la vie
WB3BEL

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2013, 11:33:52 AM »

I would say that if you were not hearing them on the East Coast NA then you should try to make antenna improvements or try to fix sources of local noise or interference before the next expedition.  I don't have big antennas up high on the upper HF bands and I could hear them OK on several bands from my noisy suburban QTH.
I have a variety of small 2 or 3 ele Yagi I swap around none higher than 35ft.  QRO is useful to maximize the short lived and variable openings.

This DXpedition was hands down way better than last years trek to Spratly Is.  I'd say this was due to the operators knowing which bands to be on and have their antenna pointed the right way.

First off I agree about 40 and 30m.  I expected to see better signals on these bands.  At the beginning of the expedition I thought these would be pretty solid bets.  However after listening a few days I changed my opinion.  Here's why... on 30 and 40 before sunrise, the MUF to much of ECNA was too low to support the first hop.  Then around EC Sunrise, I think they took a break for dinner.  Guys farther south who had a bit better MUF on the first hop were able to make QSOs as were guys in NE who got the greyline bump before the ops took a break.  In addition they moved stations from 30m to 160m as daylight was sweeping across NA.  This was good for topband ops, but not so good for 30m ops on the EC.  I think the antennas on these midbands were not as good as some recent expeditions that use 4SQ or vert arrays.  Before daybreak the arrival path was constantly shifting between LP and SP.  If you did not have directional antenna you see a ton of multipath ringing that is very hard to copy.

On the other hand they had good signals into the Mid Atlantic region 0000 to 0200z on 17m being the strongest band here, followed by a path on 15m over the North Pole 1200-1300z and a bit weaker on 15m around 0100z.  They also had decent signals on 20m in the evening.  They were on 12m a lot.  The signal strength was variable.  I think that guys farther south and southwest had longer openings on 12m as the MUF was higher and they had more common daylight with Spratly.

I heard them with good signals on 80m before SR one day.  They QSYed to 160m and I think they were never on 80m for EC again.  Guys farther west had more opportunity on 80m.  They had a good SR peak several days on 160m which was about 10minutes duration each day.  There was also one really good opening one morning on 160m where they worked a handful of east coast mid atlantic stations and New England.  It's hard to give Qs to all the deserving in a handful of 10min openings.  If you are not the Alpha dog, you are likely to have to wait.

All in all, I think that it was a very well run expedition and I heard them calling for NA several times.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 11:38:01 AM by WB3BEL » Logged
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2013, 12:19:10 PM »

Sad guy update.

I didn't get them either Paul.

High bands are hard for me because I'm rarely at home during the daylight hours even on weekends. I did hear them a few times calling for NA but never had more than just minutes of time to drop in my call. Of course there could always have been a long path opening at odd hour of night but I didn't find one either.

Others pointed out that they seemed to take their dinner break or do a band change to 160M, at exactly the same time 30M/40M greyline would have opened for us.

Tim.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: