Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is CW going to survive?  (Read 4503 times)
N2FQ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2009, 07:58:01 AM »

Joe, tnx for that link.

I was referring to the intrinsic value

gained by learning and using.

You can't buy that.

Sure, there are code reader and the like,

devices as your link shows.

Not the same in my opinion.

Oops I'm straying off topic.

back to the dungeon.
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2009, 09:08:47 AM »

CW will survive. As long as there are those that are fascinated by the mystique of the dits and dahs it will be ok.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2009, 03:23:02 PM »

There is just something mysterious and satisfying about copying CW out of the band noise, late at night.

Bob
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2009, 08:04:44 PM »

The whole idea that "the test" somehow ensured CW's survival was always suspect to me and, as people posting actual evidence have shown, I think we have proven that "the test" was never the reason it did well.

CW is immensely practical.  If it really just was "the test" then everyone would have put away their CW keys the minute they passed 13 WPM or maybe 20 or maybe even 5, depending on their interests.  That didn't happen and it isn't happening now.

People enjoy it, it's simple, it works.

Let me give you a simple example out of the norm.  I was DXpeditioning at someone's shack they kindly lent me.  The setup was a multi-op wonder.  Really top drawer, lots of cool gear, all connected up optimally for serious contesting.

I then decided discretion was the better part of valor.

Running CW, without messing up said installation, was a cinch.  I had permission to do more, but I decided against it.  CW was easy and that was that.

I used CW the whole time and had fun the whole time.

I never missed those "other modes".

That's why CW will never die, any more than sailing will never die.  We all of us have a weakness for some wonderful old technology because we enjoy using it.  For all kinds of reasons.

For hams, it's CW.

I elmered two newcomers in 2008.  Younger hams, too.  Last I knew, they were working on the code.  _They_ could see the value.  The future is secure.
W8KQE

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2009, 07:34:24 AM »

CW is total MUSIC TO MY EARS!  There is something immensely gratifying to listening to, and sending CW, especially with a fine, precision paddle!

CW FOREVER!!!
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2009, 09:44:00 AM »

Eventually the Sun will super Nova and CW will not survive

73  W9OY
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2009, 05:22:32 AM »

Is sailing going to survive now that we have the gas engine? Will broadcast radio survive now that we have TV? Will the bicycle survive now that we have cars?
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2009, 10:56:31 AM »

The quick, easy and correct answer is--YES!  Code will survive--and it has become even more popular since the end of the testing requirement.  Proof of that?  Just check the web.  Sites that are about morse code report that code use is up, and there are more and more hams using it every day, so don't worry.  Code will be around for a long, long time.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2009, 08:45:56 AM »

CW will survive and thrive. It is by no means a dead mode. As others stated - you still see plenty of sailboats around even though there are modern petroleum based boats. CW is the same analogy. It's around because people want to do it.
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2009, 09:08:57 AM »

As to the notion that dropping the code requirement tending to do away with CW, remember that a great many hams who passed the code portion of their tests didn't keep it up, never used it. Dropping the testing doesn't really change things that much.

I kind of suspect that one reason CW will survive it that it is a remnant of a lot of what is attractive about ham radio. That is accomplishing something that take some effort. In the early days, every part of ham radio took effort. Even the newest equipment then required skilled manipulation to produce good results. You can, today, fire up, set the frequency on equipment that will hold that setting for hours, push an autotune button, and key a mic. CW requires an acquired skill. Therein lies the satisfaction.

Lots of things are like that. My father was very early into SSTV. I don't think he'd have gotten into it if it had just been a matter of buying ready-made gear and turning it on. Building it all from scratch was the attraction.

Just because some people can and do operate without using anything they didn't buy ready to go and don't own a junk box, much less junk to go in it, doesn't mean the old core attractions aren't there in many, many others. It has nothing to do with CW itself, the mere use of a mode. You can do that without knowing a lick of code or owning a key or keyer. It's about enjoying something you made the effort to become good at.

I haven't looked back to the earlier era, but I have to wonder if the same concerns weren't raised when phone, especially SSB, came in. If phone didn't kill CW, it's probably immortal.
KD0NFY

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »

I'm currently studying for my exam, and also studying cw even though I won't be required to learn it for my ticket.  I can't be the only one.
W7AIT

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2009, 10:45:18 AM »

(HUMOR)

W7AIT, while raising an antique Vibroplex Paddle over his head at the 2009 General Ham Convention, addressing the crowd, saying that any E-ham Posting Hams that would attempt to take away his Vibroplex Paddle rights, are going to have to pry it “from my cold, dead hands”.

You guys are going to have to pry my Vibroplex “from my cold, dead hands”.

Hehehehe…..(Laugh a little, its only humor)…..

(Betcha you’ll still make a brouhaha over this)
JIMIMAXI2

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2009, 05:39:10 PM »

KiK - Kode is Kool.
From another "Know" code General class.
My license is 2 years old and I love it. I went from 2m to HF and SSB to PSK31 and now landed in CW land
It's a challenge and lots of fun.
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2009, 02:52:58 PM »

I'm doubting the survival of **HF** Ham-Radio, period! Last Cycle I lived on 17 and 12 meters, happily working a lot of great CW rag-chews with EU guys. With the curse of a terribly LONG 'deep part' of this Cycle and the marked lack of Ops on air in the first place seem to be nearly the kiss of death. I go on 17, put my keyer on it's 'endless'  CQ.....QSK loop and it is really RARE when somebody breaks me. There's nobody on 17 Phone except a few 'regulars' comparing aches and pains.  Twenty has holes in it big enough to waltz through. [Remember pleading for a few KC in which to run a Phone-Patch?  I do.]

I'll keep trying, but I do fear for my Beloved Hobby...

VY 73
W2DAB

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2009, 06:42:37 PM »

I'm not a "spring chicken" but I am young to the hobby and I am going to learn the code. Here are some of my reasons:

1. It's the original "digital" communication before modems and computers.

2. In emergencies is still will break through the noise.

3. Nokia is pursuing patents for a sms software on phones that will use morse to send messages. (Did anyone see the ham guys beat the young txt'ers on the Tonight Show?)

4. I'd like to brag to all those who think a new "no-code" ham is not legitimate by becoming legit!

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: