Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looks like I will be QRT for a week or so  (Read 6300 times)
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 11:12:58 AM »

From what I have heard the subRX is a PITA to install, so that should be one if the last options to get.

I don't think I could live without a sub RX.  That would be the first upgrade if I were you.

Jonathan W6GX
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 11:13:36 AM »

Yeah I agree. The SubRX is a must otherwise I'd be running two rigs.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2013, 11:14:36 AM »

From what I have heard the subRX is a PITA to install, so that should be one if the last options to get.

I don't think I could live without a sub RX.  That would be the first upgrade if I were you.

Jonathan W6GX

I have lived well up until this point without. The FT-2000d's sub receiver is/was so poor I almost never used it.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2013, 11:23:02 AM »

I have lived well up until this point without. The FT-2000d's sub receiver is/was so poor I almost never used it.

Selectivity shouldn't be a factor in a sub RX.  In fact you don't want to engage too much selectivity.  You want to open up the passband so that you could find the DX's listening frequency.  Could you elaborate more on why you feel the 2000's sub RX is unusable?

Jonathan W6GX
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2013, 11:28:27 AM »

Selectivity shouldn't be a factor in a sub RX.  In fact you don't want to engage too much selectivity.  You want to open up the passband so that you could find the DX's listening frequency.  Could you elaborate more on why you feel the 2000's sub RX is unusable?

Jonathan W6GX

The sub RX is analog. Thus it sounded completely different, it has a hiss that sounds very odd, bad enough that weak signals are drowned out. AC0C has a fix for it if you want to swap out components that makes it reasonable. I want a sub receiver that "sounds" the same.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2013, 11:39:23 AM »

The sub RX is analog. Thus it sounded completely different, it has a hiss that sounds very odd, bad enough that weak signals are drowned out. AC0C has a fix for it if you want to swap out components that makes it reasonable. I want a sub receiver that "sounds" the same.

Sorry for asking but why would you be listening to a weak signal on the sub receiver?

Jonathan W6GX
K0AP

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2013, 11:40:50 AM »

Well I am going to be off the air for a week or so.  I sold my radio and an old junker Collins 30L-1 and am going to be getting a K3.  The idea of being off the air for a week scares the hell out of me, but I can't wait to get the new rig. 

Bad for you but not so bad for us, less competition in the pileups, hi hi! Just kidding, wish you a quick return with your new radio. K3 = excellent choice.

73 Dragan K0AP
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2013, 11:56:45 AM »

Sorry for asking but why would you be listening to a weak signal on the sub receiver?

Jonathan W6GX

Sometimes the guy working the DX isn't very strong.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2013, 12:38:37 PM »

Options to this point are the 100w PA the 8 pole standard roofing filter and the internal antenna tuner.

Ideally there would be a lot more options, but that is what I can afford at the moment.

Next up would be another CW filter. I should be able to swing that in a few weeks.

The CW filter would be a good choice for the next accessory.

I put in the KXV3A a couple of months ago, and had to take out the subreceiver for that. It wasn't too bad -- and it is handy in pileups. (Wish they'd used the main tune knob for the TX frequency in split mode, though.)

Also consider a KAT3.

But above all else, enjoy!

- WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2013, 12:48:15 PM »

I put in the KXV3A a couple of months ago, and had to take out the subreceiver for that. It wasn't too bad -- and it is handy in pileups. (Wish they'd used the main tune knob for the TX frequency in split mode, though.)

Also consider a KAT3.

But above all else, enjoy!

- WX2S

I remember reading that there is a particular option in the K3 that is a pain to install if anything else is installed first... is that the KXVA3? Or is it the 2 meter module? I seem to remember people saying "if you think you will ever have the need for X option, get it first because you have to pull almost everything else out to install it later."

ex W4HFK
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2013, 05:53:58 AM »

Well I am going to be off the air for a week or so.  I sold my radio and an old junker Collins 30L-1 and am going to be getting a K3.  The idea of being off the air for a week scares the hell out of me, but I can't wait to get the new rig. 

Bad for you but not so bad for us, less competition in the pileups, hi hi! Just kidding, wish you a quick return with your new radio. K3 = excellent choice.

73 Dragan K0AP

Dragan, I don't know how much competition I really am  Smiley

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2013, 02:16:57 PM »

So I went to a Hamfest this morning in Marshall MI, I went because the card checker for this area is certified for 160m and I had a few DXCC entities for 160 to check.

Long story short, the checker no showed. So I went and looked around.

Some guy showed up right as I was leaving plopped a K3 on the table with a price tag of $1800. Needless to say I am not building a K3 now. Options are as followed

K3-100
KATU
400 Hz 8 poll filter
General coverage module.

All this for $1800.

THe only problem I have encountered so far is that the microphone isn't working.  It will key and light up my Ameritron QRB-704 keying interface, but no power on TX.  I think the mic is having issues and don't think it is the radio.  It came with the MH2 but the thing was nasty.  It must have had half a Big Mac on the wind screen.  I cleaned it and might have damaged the element in the process or it could have already been damaged.  I made sure that the correct microphone input was selected.  If you K3 owners have any input it would be appreciated. 

CW is simply amazing with this thing. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2013, 02:59:07 PM »

Nice Find, I would have bought the thing too!

It sounds like you are on the right track with the Mic being bad, but you may want to subscribe to the Elecraft email list and ask the folks there. There are quite a few knowledgeable people there who will walk you through narrowing down the problem.

ex W4HFK
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2013, 03:13:14 PM »

Nice Find, I would have bought the thing too!

It sounds like you are on the right track with the Mic being bad, but you may want to subscribe to the Elecraft email list and ask the folks there. There are quite a few knowledgeable people there who will walk you through narrowing down the problem.

After dinner I will look at the troubleshooting guide. I hope it is just the mic.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KE8G

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2013, 05:58:36 PM »

Hi Jon,
Great find!  I, too, would have jumped on that.  With the options you have cited, you are all set with the K3.  The only thing I can advise, is to read the manual.  Take your time and play with the different settings.  I have had a couple of K3s for a few years now, and I am still learning new things about them!

I cannot offer any suggestions on the mic/SSB, as I am strictly a CW guy!

73 de Jim - KE8G
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: