Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looks like I will be QRT for a week or so  (Read 6298 times)
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2013, 07:29:00 PM »

I put in the KXV3A a couple of months ago, and had to take out the subreceiver for that. It wasn't too bad -- and it is handy in pileups. (Wish they'd used the main tune knob for the TX frequency in split mode, though.)

Also consider a KAT3.

But above all else, enjoy!

- WX2S

I remember reading that there is a particular option in the K3 that is a pain to install if anything else is installed first... is that the KXVA3? Or is it the 2 meter module? I seem to remember people saying "if you think you will ever have the need for X option, get it first because you have to pull almost everything else out to install it later."
I haven't heard the rumors, but I installed the KXV3A in about two hours on my kitchen table. The worst part was when a washer got loose in the guts of the thing.  Shocked One of the micro coax connectors on the sub receiver was also mechanically interfering with the module, which was NOT pleasant.

73, wx2s.

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2013, 02:40:42 PM »

Nice Find, I would have bought the thing too!

It sounds like you are on the right track with the Mic being bad, but you may want to subscribe to the Elecraft email list and ask the folks there. There are quite a few knowledgeable people there who will walk you through narrowing down the problem.

Borrowed my dads heil mic and Kenwood cable no dice.  It wouldn't even key.  That had me worried quite a bit.  However I decided to go ahead and re-solder all the mic connections in the Elecraft MH2 and see what happens.  It works well now. 

I had my dad get on 1.965 and see if everything sounded good.  I adjusted the mic gain and compression and found the compression setting that worked best for both talking to him and for punching through the DX pileup.  I am happy now.  Thank God the thing seems to be working out nicely now.  This radio is amazing on CW.  I couldn't be happier, well I will be happier once I get the 200hz filter for it  Grin

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2013, 03:43:39 PM »

Congratulations on the new rig--glad to hear you sorted out the microphone issue!

Zack W1VT
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2013, 03:50:05 PM »

Congratulations on the new rig--glad to hear you sorted out the microphone issue!

Zack W1VT
thank you! I am glad too. It was strange when I hooked up the Heil mic and nothing happened. I am reasonably happy with the stock Elecraft mic so I think I will just keep that one for now.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2013, 07:15:39 PM »

I am so #@&% jealous Jon Grin Grin Grin
As for your checker no-showing, I'll be glad to do 'em for you, or just mail 'em off to Newington. I can also do WAZ cards now as well, since January.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2013, 02:45:28 AM »

I am so #@&% jealous Jon Grin Grin Grin
As for your checker no-showing, I'll be glad to do 'em for you, or just mail 'em off to Newington. I can also do WAZ cards now as well, since January.

Thanks Pete, I am going to wait and accumulate more cards first. I went there to get some cards checked to apply for a band DXCC award. Now I don't need to do so because I had an unexpected one show up on LOTW.

The best way I can describe the radio is a summry of a conversation my wife and I had. She asked me how I liked it. I told her it acted like a $10,000 radio. She replied it looks like it should cost $500.

I just laughed. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2013, 08:18:47 PM »

The best way I can describe the radio is a summry of a conversation my wife and I had. She asked me how I liked it. I told her it acted like a $10,000 radio. She replied it looks like it should cost $500.

I just laughed. 

do women go to a special class to learn those 'not-so-funny' replies or is it genetic?  Huh  Grin
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2013, 04:49:12 AM »

I just laughed. 

do women go to a special class to learn those 'not-so-funny' replies or is it genetic?  Huh  Grin

It's genetic. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2013, 05:37:27 PM »

It's genetic. 

QSL.  Maybe it is their revenge for having to do the heavy lifting when it comes to procreation  Grin
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2013, 05:50:23 PM »

It's genetic. 

QSL.  Maybe it is their revenge for having to do the heavy lifting when it comes to procreation  Grin

Seems logical to me.  Coincidentally when logic is applied towards YLs it is typically incorrect.   Grin

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: