Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think about my sneaky idea?  (Read 2254 times)
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2013, 06:51:20 PM »

My wife balked at the picture of the MQ-36SR three element mini beam, so I showed her the two element version.  She said ok, that's better.  But little does she know, that the three element version can be set up initially as a two element antenna.  So, after a few weeks/months....when she goes out for the day, I'll sneak in the other element.  Think she'll notice?
If  not, a few months after this, I'll sneak in a trap beam like the mosley mini warc..

VA2FSQ
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »

hi,

she may turn the table on you and come home with
a truckload of new furniture, a new kitchen or whatever
she fancies.

Just be honest with her, it is a lot cheaper then
paying for a pair of divorce lawyers!

73 james
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 09:19:47 PM »

It could work.  Just remember, we OMs should not let women push us around! Smiley   True love should always be stronger than any antenna mast.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 08:39:05 AM »

Why didn't you just tell her that you want to put up a Stepir DB 18 and be done with it.  If she don't like it then you tell her you'll go with this antenna. 
We Hams not only have to deal w/ CC&Rs but we have to deal with the XYLs too.  What is this world coming to.

73 de Rick  wn2c
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 08:40:28 AM »

Why didn't you just tell her that you want to put up a Stepir DB 18 and be done with it.  If she don't like it then you tell her you'll go with this antenna. 
We Hams not only have to deal w/ CC&Rs but we have to deal with the XYLs too.  What is this world coming to.

73 de Rick  wn2c

I like that idea.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 09:10:33 AM »

...We Hams not only have to deal w/ CC&Rs but we have to deal with the XYLs too.  What is this world coming to....

If you're not careful, and depending on your XYL, you may have to deal with her, her lawyer and divorce court.  THAT is what this world has come to.
KB3Z

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 09:25:39 AM »

What is her issue with regards to the 2 or 3 element beam?  Is it the price or is she afraid the neighbors might balk! If you are mounting it on an existing tower I don't see what the issue is. But then again I'm not married and don't have to worry about keeping somebody else happy. Mark KB3Z
AB2YC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 04:49:52 PM »

Honesty is the Best policy

W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 05:25:42 PM »

You went about this the wrong way. You should have showed her a picture of a five element beam. Then you could have "settled" for a three element beam.
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 06:21:25 PM »

You started wrong. Start with a Mosley TA-33.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 09:27:21 PM »

Does she enjoy pistol shooting?
AJ3O

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 03:36:57 PM »

For all of those saying to start big and compromise smaller(still bigger than what you intend on...) they are right. I told my XYL that I had acquired a 75' self supporting tower and showed her the pictures of the old beast. She flipped out as expected. But when I told her that I had more recently come across a smaller 54' self supporting telescoping tower and showed her the pictures, she said that it was better. Of course the Honey do list has grown since then but that is fine. I am planning the concrete base over-sized so when that 54' tower has some "problems" I can install that 75' tower in its place. By then she will have eased into the situation a little more I hope... HI hi

As with bargaining with a car sales person, you NEVER start small because you can never go up. But it is far easier to start way up high and work it back down to a more suitable compromise.

OR:

It is far easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.

^ Not recommended for us married folks unless it is something insignificant.

I used this idea and the one that the original poster had with my 2 meter vertical. I first installed a home brew mast and j-pole on the back overhang right where she parks. She didn't like it so after letting her complain about it for a few days, I moved it to the side of the house, bottom of the j-pole flush with the gutter line. Again, she didn't like it, but it was far more pleasing than the previous spot she said. Three weeks later, the J-pole "failed" right before an important net so she "let" me put up a nice vertical that I had acquired since erecting the j-pole. Grin Two weeks go by and I am coming down from the ladder as she pulls in.  Embarrassed Yes, it is higher just a little bit but ONLY because I was getting RF into the shack and was causing problems with the house circuits. She sighs and goes inside. Next day, I raised it to its final height above the roof line before she got home and she has never said anything about it again.

73 and good luck,

Joe / AJ3O
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 08:13:27 AM »

MY GOD!  If that's what marriage in this country has degenerated into; THANK GOD I'M SINGLE!
Tom
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 03:42:25 PM »

Honesty is the Best policy

This

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 04:28:09 PM »

I think that is a good sneaky idea. I have always lived by the perception that it is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission from my wife.

Frank
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: