Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Honor Roll in One Solar Cycle  (Read 8105 times)
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2013, 11:36:53 AM »

Rich,

For the first two and a half years of that time I had a Force-12 C3-SS at 40', and a 40M/80M inverted Vee pair at about 38'.  I lived in a vallley that was about 300' deep which didn't help but I had Mixed, Phone, 20M and 15M and probably around 200 confirmed when I moved in '03.  Then I was inactive for 4 months moving out, moving in, and waiting for the tower to go up.

The new place is a different story.  I'm on a bald ridge about 600-700' above average terrain and it slopes off fairly quickly for all but about 40-50 degrees around the Southeast (which I'm not worried about - when you've worked one ZD8's you've worked them both).  I still have the C3-SS but now at 62' with an Alpha Delta DX-A for 40M, 80M and 160M a few feet below it.

For 20 years I had never owned a QSL card.  Then Christmas week of 2000, I had the chance to operate /VP5, and I'd promised a few people not to disappoint.  So when I got home and had card printed for that, I decided to print for the home call and give it a shot.  I think it was 8 years and 9 months when I had enough cards for HR.  So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Don, K2DC
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2013, 12:20:49 PM »

Thanks to all for taking the time to provide the great feedback and validation which I'll digest and ponder.  I am fairly certain that in spite of operating strategies, the biggest issue I face right now is aluminum.  I need better antennas and that just won't happen while at the current pre-ham QTH.  I do have some remote operation options so maybe that route with have to be explored.   

It's only March and we already have a nasty wildfire raging with evacuations a half mile from my house right now, but I'd prefer to not have that be a QTH changer.  Colorado is going to burn this summer unless we start getting some precip.

Thanks again everyone!

John   
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2013, 12:47:30 PM »

Rich,

For the first two and a half years of that time I had a Force-12 C3-SS at 40', and a 40M/80M inverted Vee pair at about 38'.  I lived in a vallley that was about 300' deep which didn't help but I had Mixed, Phone, 20M and 15M and probably around 200 confirmed when I moved in '03.  Then I was inactive for 4 months moving out, moving in, and waiting for the tower to go up.

The new place is a different story.  I'm on a bald ridge about 600-700' above average terrain and it slopes off fairly quickly for all but about 40-50 degrees around the Southeast (which I'm not worried about - when you've worked one ZD8's you've worked them both).  I still have the C3-SS but now at 62' with an Alpha Delta DX-A for 40M, 80M and 160M a few feet below it.

For 20 years I had never owned a QSL card.  Then Christmas week of 2000, I had the chance to operate /VP5, and I'd promised a few people not to disappoint.  So when I got home and had card printed for that, I decided to print for the home call and give it a shot.  I think it was 8 years and 9 months when I had enough cards for HR.  So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Don, K2DC

Great story. I lived in Fairport, NY for a year - just north of you a ways, and know how beautiful your area is. You must have a record for HR between cycles like that.

Rich
KY6R
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2013, 01:24:09 PM »

I think it was 8 years and 9 months when I had enough cards for HR.

Are you still married Cheesy  Congrats!

Jonathan W6GX
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2013, 01:42:58 PM »

A record ?  Probably not, but thanks.  And yes, I am still married, and I was still working the whole time (retired now) but I had at least a little schedule flexibility.  The only time I remember that work was going to crimp the hunt was for Scarborough in '03.  I watched the spots for several days and determined that the best most reliable shot for East Coast was going to be 20M in the mornings and only for an hour or so.  So I planned for vacation on Thursday and Friday.  I was waiting and watching for spots Thursday morning when they popped up out of the noise on 20M CW and then got them again on 20M SSB about 8 minutes later.  And then I took Friday off anyway.

Don, K2DC

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2013, 02:54:43 PM »

Congrats on Honor Roll.  I made it in less than a cycle's worth of time, but actually over two cycles from 2001 to 2009.  Now 5 away from #1 HR with nothing new on the horizon until Heard, and don't know if I'll live long enough to see Navassa come out of the clutches of the dreaded F&WS.  I had a ham friend ask me once what I'd do after I'd worked them all.  I told him I don't know, but I'd probably have to resort to county hunting or quilting, or some other nefarious activity.

"DXCC Challenge" provides a nice set of targets that will likely remain after achieving #1 Honor Roll. My current target is 3000.

Dave, AA6YQ
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2013, 03:34:21 PM »

A record ?  Probably not, but thanks. 

When I created that chart "The Visual History of the ARRL DXCC Honor Roll":

http://dxccsleuth.wordpress.com/2013/02/09/special-edition-the-visual-history-of-the-arrl-dxcc-program/

I read almost every DX article in QST from 1937 to today. I found one reference to what was considered a record - and that was 7 years to achieve Honor Roll when the entity count was somewhere around 315. This means someone worked 306 in 7 years back then - somewhere around 1965. This was right around the Don Miller years, and what ended up being a major "pivot point" for the program - what we might call the "modern era".

I would call those years the "two guys in a sailboat" era, and I also know that they still did not require much proof that anyone was actually at and entity that they said they were transmitting from.

After the Miller lawsuit, then the ARRL got much tougher, and required proof.

Anyway, you probably made HR as quick as anyone could have in the years that you did - just because I know what was activated and when - since these were the same years I was chasing it.

I am sure you did not miss one entity that was an ATNO - something I surely cannot say was the case for me.

Again - congrats - I love hearing what the "leading edge" is with this stuff. And yeah - "record" is very relative since the country count has varied so much over the years. Back then there was no cluster, but there also wasn't all of the restrictions on where you could go. Maybe it is all relative . . .
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2013, 06:31:43 AM »

Well, Thanks again.  I certainly don't consider myself a "Big Gun".  I have a KW, a modest tribander at a reasonable height at a pretty good DX loction, and a fair amount of experience navigating the piles.  But the rest can all be chalked up to persistence and dumb luck.

Don, K2DC
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2013, 04:10:09 PM »

Well, Thanks again.  I certainly don't consider myself a "Big Gun".  I have a KW, a modest tribander at a reasonable height at a pretty good DX loction, and a fair amount of experience navigating the piles.  But the rest can all be chalked up to persistence and dumb luck.

Don, K2DC

Dumb luck is my biggest DX asset.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2013, 06:53:40 AM »

Do any of you guys remember Bill Shipp, KC1AG?  He was the impetus behind the Walvis Bay DXpedition back in the 90s. It never made the new country list, unfortunately.

Bill retired a few towns over from here, and I remember visiting him in his new shack several times. At one time he was on the ARRL DXCC committee.

Bill earned HR in one cycle. Once he had received the award, he sold his radios, towers and antennas and gave up ham radio and took up woodworking!  Bill passed away a few years ago, he was a great guy.

Pete
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2013, 10:18:49 AM »

Do any of you guys remember Bill Shipp, KC1AG?  He was the impetus behind the Walvis Bay DXpedition back in the 90s. It never made the new country list, unfortunately.

Bill retired a few towns over from here, and I remember visiting him in his new shack several times. At one time he was on the ARRL DXCC committee.

Bill earned HR in one cycle. Once he had received the award, he sold his radios, towers and antennas and gave up ham radio and took up woodworking!  Bill passed away a few years ago, he was a great guy.

Pete

I am going to cover Walvis Bay in my DXCC Sleuth blog one day.

I understand how he felt. Before 2012, I was absolutely hating DXCC - I was burned out and cranky wondering how 331 entities made me any better than 325.

I thought once I made Honor Roll I would go to 75 Meters and talk about hemmoroids, gout, and " The Good Old Days"".

But there's #1 Honor Roll on the to do do list now, and with so much. time between ones I need- you will me not with buttin chair,  but feet on roof and on the tower.

My drill press won't be working wood - but aluminum.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2013, 03:08:49 PM »

K1ZJH wrote:

I don't recall KC1AG; however I want to correct your statement about Walvis Bay.  Walvis Bay did make the DXCC list, but was subsequently deleted.  I have credit for a 1990 QSO with ZS9/W6KG, a Yasme Foundation expedition. 

Chuck  NI0C
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2013, 03:22:46 PM »

K1ZJH wrote:

I don't recall KC1AG; however I want to correct your statement about Walvis Bay.  Walvis Bay did make the DXCC list, but was subsequently deleted.  I have credit for a 1990 QSO with ZS9/W6KG, a Yasme Foundation expedition. 

Chuck  NI0C

I've also worked and confirmed Walvis Bay. I think the call was ZS9A. I think the property was given back to Namibia.

Chris/NU1O
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2013, 03:29:32 PM »

I wonder if Bill's Walvus Bay card ever counted??  I may have a deleted country I wasn't aware of.

Pete
AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2013, 06:25:45 AM »

I'm assuming that no one could make HR in this cycle, because it's unlikely enough entities will be activated.  Maybe that's how it will be forever. I stared DXing in April 2005 when I got back into ham radio after a 35 year hiatus. Since then I have 318 mixed worked and 317 confirmed; there will be shots at Heard, Wake and Banaba and rumored Amsterdam withing a year, but that leave me still short.  If a solar cycle is 11 years, I have until 2016 to try to complete it in a way. Missing Kure in 2006 did not help me, and I'm in the black hole for VK9X I guess.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: