Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Honor Roll in One Solar Cycle  (Read 6847 times)
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2013, 07:46:01 AM »

I'm assuming that no one could make HR in this cycle, because it's unlikely enough entities will be activated.  Maybe that's how it will be forever. I stared DXing in April 2005 when I got back into ham radio after a 35 year hiatus. Since then I have 318 mixed worked and 317 confirmed; there will be shots at Heard, Wake and Banaba and rumored Amsterdam withing a year, but that leave me still short.  If a solar cycle is 11 years, I have until 2016 to try to complete it in a way. Missing Kure in 2006 did not help me, and I'm in the black hole for VK9X I guess.

Yeah, you came in at probably the worst time possible. I hope you worked Peter the First in 2006, cuz I doubt anybody's going back there for at least another 15 years given the now-insane costs of travel to the region and the fact there are many other entities down there that still need to be re-activated after a long absence. Lots of interesting stuff has come up since 2005, of course, but a lot more as gone off the air or has been made far more difficult to activate due to environmental concerns. KH3 and KH1 and others. Also in 2006 Turkmenistan stopped issuing licenses and has since fell completely silent.

On the other hand, since you got on the air we've seen the reactivation of Lakshadweep and Andaman/Nicobar, two entities that had fallen off the DX map for decades, and in 2007 we had a pretty good activation of Scarborough Reef. In 2009 Desecheo came back after a very long absence as well.

I still think more has fallen off than has come back on, though...plus DXing in the era of Clublog, always-on clusters, the DXCC Challenge and the CQDX Marathon have made the hobby infinitely more difficult as well and have required bigger and more powerful stations to get through the QRM.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2013, 01:41:15 PM »

I'm assuming that no one could make HR in this cycle, because it's unlikely enough entities will be activated.  Maybe that's how it will be forever. I stared DXing in April 2005 when I got back into ham radio after a 35 year hiatus. Since then I have 318 mixed worked and 317 confirmed; there will be shots at Heard, Wake and Banaba and rumored Amsterdam withing a year, but that leave me still short.  If a solar cycle is 11 years, I have until 2016 to try to complete it in a way. Missing Kure in 2006 did not help me, and I'm in the black hole for VK9X I guess.

Yeah, you came in at probably the worst time possible. I hope you worked Peter the First in 2006, cuz I doubt anybody's going back there for at least another 15 years given the now-insane costs of travel to the region and the fact there are many other entities down there that still need to be re-activated after a long absence. Lots of interesting stuff has come up since 2005, of course, but a lot more as gone off the air or has been made far more difficult to activate due to environmental concerns. KH3 and KH1 and others. Also in 2006 Turkmenistan stopped issuing licenses and has since fell completely silent.

On the other hand, since you got on the air we've seen the reactivation of Lakshadweep and Andaman/Nicobar, two entities that had fallen off the DX map for decades, and in 2007 we had a pretty good activation of Scarborough Reef. In 2009 Desecheo came back after a very long absence as well.

I still think more has fallen off than has come back on, though...plus DXing in the era of Clublog, always-on clusters, the DXCC Challenge and the CQDX Marathon have made the hobby infinitely more difficult as well and have required bigger and more powerful stations to get through the QRM.

Amen on the cluster QRM'ers.   Right now I'm listening to some lid slow keying a lecture on good practices for courtesy on the V73NS whisper signal on 12M, sigh.  Well, I did get Peter Island which was pretty easy to work, back then I had only a nicely set up vertical. The vertical was not enough for Kure, at least with the skills and time I had then, also I did not really appreciate how long it might be before anyone went back, so I sort of did not persist enough.  Really all I've missed is VK9X, which I thing will come eventually, and Kure. Annobon took a while, Glorioso I consider myself a bit lucky, and otherwise it's gone OK with many hours in the seat.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2013, 02:46:01 PM »

Kure was the last DXpedition I had any degree of trouble with. We'd moved into the new house in August of 2005 and my tower wouldn't be going up until late-October, a week before CQWW. I had a friend climb up a pine tree next to the house and string up a wire antenna that got me my one and only Kure QSO. Everything after that has been far easier! I'm kinda bummed about not being able to work Kure on several bands and modes. Hopefully they'll be back on again within 15 years, but at least I got one Q with 'em.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KF1C

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2013, 04:17:37 PM »

Kc1ag. dId work it in one cycle , my dad kc1bj was the qsl manager for wallvis. He used a monster log periodic and a (3) 3-500z amp to do it.  I think it was an amp supply. De KF1C
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2013, 05:20:35 PM »

Not this Cycle!
I started DXing in 2009, so missed some of those mentioned on this page. Desecheo was my first "big" one in the log, and Ducie. Got Glorioso too. Missed S Orkney - never heard them - ever!
I'm on 308 now, but what are the chances of another two dozen top 50 locations being activated in the next few years while the cycle is up?
So, I'll have to play Marathon and band fills and QRP to fill in time.
And head out to work now...
Luke VK3HJ
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2013, 06:03:29 AM »

I started in seriously in late August 2011. I think the prospects of someone starting when I did are slim to none. A lot of things have changed since even 2005. Inflation and Eco-based policies are going to be my biggest hurdles.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2013, 06:38:59 AM »

Had I continued DXing, from when I was first licensed, back in the early 80s, HR would surely have been on the wall, most likely #1, with a substantial list of deleted entities too.
But I didn't, and instead, enjoyed a number of other activities. So it doesn't matter. It's still been challenging and fun, with a lot of other goals achieved in the short time I've been DXing.
It has been interesting to read the stories and anecdotes of DXers, going back to before I was born, and how things have changed over the years.
So, just enjoy Now.
Luke VK3HJ
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2013, 06:58:47 AM »

Hindsight is always 20/20.

I've got quite a few solar cycles left, and things change. I am not too worried.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2013, 11:56:35 AM »

Congratulations! That is superb! That is amazing to make HR in one solar cycle, a huge accomplishment.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2013, 02:44:07 PM »

Congratulations! That is superb! That is amazing to make HR in one solar cycle, a huge accomplishment.

Thanks!
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: