Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Combination VHF/HF APRS IGATE/DIGI  (Read 4991 times)
K0GDI

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2013, 11:33:36 AM »

Currently I run an APRS Digi/IGate http://aprs.fi/k0gdi and Weather Station http://aprs.fi/k0gdi-13.  What I am now wanting to do is run APRS on HF.  Currently I am using a Kenwood D710a, but since I am adding the HF side, I was thinking about replacing the D710 with a Yaesu 8800 and a Yaesu FT-897d along with a Kantronics KAM-XL.  What would you all think of this kind of setup?
N1ZZZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 12:53:18 AM »

Rig sounds good, but not the TNC.  I'd avoid the KAM for HF packet.  It only offers AFSK Packet which isn't very robust.

If you want to 1) get better performance and 2) save money, get yourself a SCS Tracker.  The tracker will do HF packet, VHF packet up to 19K, and more importantly for HF APRS, get you on Robust Packet.

I have been hitting Igates from my ship at 3,000-4,000 miles on 30M APRS using Robust packet.  You won't see that with AFSK Packet.  The best thing is that a tracker is about half the price of an XL and is far more user friendly.  You lose things like GTOR, PACTOR, and RTTY, but do you need those in a TNC?  My tracker knocked the socks off of my KAM98 for HF Packet.

You can google my call + APRS for some Youtube videos of a station in KY routinely decoding my packets as I was in the Med Sea. 

Jeremy N1ZZZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: