Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: display screen bubbles!  (Read 5002 times)
WH6DZP

Ignore
« on: March 15, 2013, 12:02:58 AM »

Hi gang.  I have had my first HF rig for 3 months now.  It's a Kenwood TS-570s.  Was new in '99 I believe.  It's got about 100 small bubbles on the display screen.  I'm thinking that maybe the original protective plastic was left on for too long, but I've tried to search for a place to peel it from a corner with no luck.  Any ideas?  My eyesight is challenged enough with out the bubbles....73 Aloha, Steve.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 12:16:37 AM »

Usually the protective foils have a piece standing out to grab it for removal. So may be someone has applied a protective foil like on a LCD display of a camera. You are not alone in this world. Try to find someone with better sight before scratching the display. Actually without a picture it is difficult to give remote help. May be it is just a matter of careful cleaning.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 09:13:12 AM »

Steve,

It sounds like there is still a protective cover over the display.  It's about the only thing I can think of that will "bubble."

If it was me I'd round up the following items:  Strong light that can be set without having to hold it.  A magnifying glass.  An Xacto knife with a pointed blade. Pointed tweezers.

I would then go to the corners of the display and see if I could raise any film with the pointed Xacto knife.  By going to a corner, any scratching won't be noticed. 

As Dieter points out, factory applied protection usually has a corner left up so you can remove it but sometimes a person will mistakenly push this corner down thinking it's a flaw.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 09:31:20 AM »

I agree there has to be some sort of film on display.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 11:29:10 AM »

Steve,

It sounds like there is still a protective cover over the display.  It's about the only thing I can think of that will "bubble."

If it was me I'd round up the following items:  Strong light that can be set without having to hold it.  A magnifying glass.  An Xacto knife with a pointed blade. Pointed tweezers.

I would then go to the corners of the display and see if I could raise any film with the pointed Xacto knife.  By going to a corner, any scratching won't be noticed. 

As Dieter points out, factory applied protection usually has a corner left up so you can remove it but sometimes a person will mistakenly push this corner down thinking it's a flaw.

One more thing to add to this good advice -- sometimes, when the protective film has been left on the display lens for too long a time, application of a wee bit of heat from the wife's hair dryer, set to no higher than MEDIUM, can help with the release of the film.  Still good idea to get under one corner with that Xacto blade or equivalent.  Don't overdo the heating, it only takes a few degrees higher than the room temperature to help the film release.  And don't use a heavy duty industrial heat gun, either, use the hair dryer, remember, the radio panel itself is also made of plastics. 

WH6DZP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 12:01:55 PM »

Thank you all for your advice.  I was just returning here to ask about heat application, so I'll take that to heart.  I sure can't seem to discern a layer of plastic, but I'm sure it must be there, just bonded by the years.  I'll report back with my findings and results.  Mahalo, Aloha, 73  Steve.
WH6DZP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 02:09:53 PM »

Well, I got the screen up to about 250' F plus.  Got a few more bubbles, but no evidence of protective plastic....Anyone ever replaced a screen-are they even available?  Thanks. Aloha, S
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 04:54:32 PM »

Are the bubbles soft to touch. If so pierce one and grab it and peel it off. Never seen the display itself bubble.

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 06:05:59 PM »

250° ??  You gotta be kiddin!  Daymn!  Hope you never screwed the display up OM.

I was thinking the same as JX but after the heat treatment you just gave it I'm glad I didn't suggest it.  I can just see you opening those bubbles with an electric drill!  Scchhheeech!

Apparently you have the stones Steve.  You might want to try opening and peeling a bubble.  As JX said, "I've never seen bubbles in a display." (Paraphrased)
WH6DZP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 06:58:12 PM »

Yup, 250. Yeah the bubbles actually seem to be just below the surface, the biggest-2mm- is even further below the surface. The YL's hair dryer wasn't doing anything, so brought in the Big Gun.  Monitored it with an IR thermometer.  I think the actual plastic was getting soft, but no harm done....Found a link to the Yahoo! groups for the TS-570, and there was a small talk about the same problem.  A guy had actually made a small production run of replacement screens because of non-availability from KW.  But, at $75 plus foreign shipping- I'll live with the bubbles, begrudgingly.  Or maybe I'll replace the bulbs with those fancy blue LEDs and scrape and polish the screen when I do it.  Thanks for all your help and ideas!  73, Aloha, Steve.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 09:43:39 AM »

DZP: You might want to contact Clif at:  http://www.avvid.com/.  If he doesn't do repairs on this model, it's possible he might have a display in stock.

I just order two parts for my old Kenwood TS-830S.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 10:07:42 AM »

Yup, 250. Yeah the bubbles actually seem to be just below the surface, the biggest-2mm- is even further below the surface. The YL's hair dryer wasn't doing anything, so brought in the Big Gun.  Monitored it with an IR thermometer.  I think the actual plastic was getting soft, but no harm done....Found a link to the Yahoo! groups for the TS-570, and there was a small talk about the same problem.  A guy had actually made a small production run of replacement screens because of non-availability from KW.  But, at $75 plus foreign shipping- I'll live with the bubbles, begrudgingly.  Or maybe I'll replace the bulbs with those fancy blue LEDs and scrape and polish the screen when I do it.  Thanks for all your help and ideas!  73, Aloha, Steve.

My concern here is if the bubbles are truly below surface and there is no film applied, the display has been subjected to extreme heat in past and I would replace it.

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 01:51:47 PM »

You were warned not to use anything hotter than the hair dryer. 

250 deg F may have done more to BOND the plastic of the protective skin to the hard plastic of the lens. 

But, it may have already been bonded.  People leave those skins in place, thinking that it will preserve the screen longer or something, but if that screen has been on there a long time, and perhaps subjected also to the ravages of sunlight, even through a window, well, it can become bonded to the actual screen. 

It is a rather constant problem on my test benches, not only for ham gear.  Just pulling the protective skin off for the guy can be problematic, as their viewpoint is that the technician did something unauthorized.  And they pitch a b****. 

So I now have to contact each and every one of 'em, explain why leaving it on there is not such a great idea, and ask them if we can remove it.  Even after explaining to them that there may be a day when the stuff will become bubbled, or worse yet in some instances, cloudy, there are those that insist that they want it left on there.   

The manufacturer of the rig has Parts.  You should first search the web for the Service Manual and download it, peruse the pictorials and parts list and find out what replacing the screen actually entails, plus what part numbers would be needed.  Then contact the manufacturer's Parts Department and order what you need.  They will tell you at the time of order if the part is now unavailable or not.  Phone ordering is the way I prefer to go here, as talking to someone who is looking at the parts data at the time is simply better IMO. 

KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 04:21:47 PM »

The LCD itself is still available, @ $148.95 from Kenwood. The plastic front protective cover was on the Plexiglas front window in the front panel. The front panel is no longer available either for the S or D version.

Clif
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 04:26:29 PM by KA5IPF » Logged
WH6DZP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 01:40:39 AM »

Thanks Clif. 
I don't know...just to reiterate-  I took all the advise suggested here to heart (and workbench).  Magnifying lamp, x-acto knife, low heat, then high heat, constant monitoring and picking at the corners.  I only directed the heat to one side of the screen so if I blew it bad, I could still see some of the display. I really can't detect any evidence of a protective cover... At this time I'm thinking if I get motivated enougn (blue LEDs!), I'll remove the screen, scrape the front screen with a cabinet scraper or such, and polish with a buffing wheel and special compound for such purpose.  But still seeking an easier solution.  Thank you all again for your thoughtful suggestions.  73, Aloha, Steve.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: