Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ-1026 What am I doing wrong?  (Read 7999 times)
VE3TMT

Ignore
« on: March 15, 2013, 05:46:32 AM »

Go the unit hooked up last night, unit is set up through the RX ANT loop on the FT-990. Currently I am using what amounts to a longwire antenna (the center conductor only of an used run of coax that goes up the tower) for the sensing antenna and the sloper as the main antenna. Interference problem is mainly on 160 and 80. Adjusting the noise antenna gain does increase or reduce the noise, while adjusting the main gain does the same on the signal. I have tried all different settings, followed the instructions to a "T" and cannot get the noise down more than a couple of db, say from 20 over down to about an S9. There is no deep null as was expected.

If I listen to the offending signal on the regular antenna, it is a very pronounced buzz, very easy sound to distinguish. When I turn up the noise antenna gain, the interference does not sound the same, it's more like hashing or a wider type of noise, so I'm not sure if maybe the problem isn't with the "noise" antenna. Just to test, I reversed the antennas, used the sloper as the noise antenna and the longwire as the receiving antenna. Still the same results.

So before I go stringing up another antenna, am I doing something wrong? I also hooked the unit up direct, antenna to unit, unit to antenna connector on the radio (not through the RX loop) and had the same results.

Any suggestions?

Max
WB4BYQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 07:00:23 AM »

Your norm tx/rx ant and the noise rx ant have to hear the noise and the noise ant needs to have a good level of signal from the noise to adjust the gain and phase to cancel the noise.  i would
hook the unit up with the normal connections with the tx/rx and noise rx to the 1026.  first listen to the noise thru the 1026 with the tx/rx ant, then remove the tx/rx and replace it with the rx ant
and see if you hear the same signal.  the way the rx hears the signal will affect the phase and gain of the 1026.  i have use both with good success to cancel rfi.

Time and practice the help.

richard
AJ8MH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 07:04:55 AM »

Just to test, I reversed the antennas, used the slopper as the noise antenna and the longwire as the receiving antenna. Still the same results.

When you swapped antenna inputs, did the buzz being picked up your regular antenna still sound like a buzz.  Just want to make sure your sense input port is working properly.

I have one of these units and it works great, but both ports must hear the same "noise."  (The noise sounds the same.)  Make sure the shorting clip on the circuit board is in JMP 1 position.  Make sure the FREQ selection button is out for 80 and 160.  Turn the pre-amp on.  Phase at zero.

I adjust mine a little differently.  First, I bring up my aux gain so the noise is heard.  I try for about an S-3 to 5.  Next, I bring up the main antenna gain until I see the S meter increase slightly.  Next, I adjust the phase for a nul.  It seems to work best when the phase ends up between 8 and 9.  Try the phase normal/invert switch.

My settings are currently set at 5 (AUX Antenna), 8.5 (Phase), 2.5 (Main Antenna) and normal (Phase).  Yours may be different.  I never use the rig's rx pre-amps on 80 and 160.

VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 07:36:29 AM »

The more I think about it, the more I think the issue is with the sensing antenna. I don't think using the center conductor of a length of coax will cut it. Problem is I can't get up the tower to hook it to anything. I am going to try my scanner antenna (it's a vertical) to see how well that hears the noise, but need to run that coax into the new shack before I can try it.

I would ideally like to run a wire parallel to the sloper, but not sure I can do that. I can run a longwire (a real one) from the chimney over to a tree and down to the pole where the end of the sloper is attached. This will at least get the sensing antenna over to where I think the noise is coming from.

As a test, I put the rig on 1.955, where the interference is the worst, and switch between the sloper and beam. They both hear the interference differently. On the sloper it is just a loud 20 over 9 buzz. On the beam its about S7 but does not have the same buzz characteristic. I think this is what the current sensing antenna is hearing.
PA3GOS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 03:30:04 AM »

The goal for the aux. antenna would be to receive as much of the same noise as possible but to receive as little "wanted" signals as possible.
So, running a wire parallel to your sloper does not sound like a good idea. You will, most likely, null the noise but also most stations you want to hear.

I am currently using my 1025 (not 1026 but the idea is the same) to null a local noise source on all bands. Like you, I am using a random wire (25 meters) to pick up the noise. Unfortunately, it will only pick it up on 40 and 80. Not sure about 160 since I have no antenna for it.

Currently I am thinking about an active antenna. Preferably a small loop due to it's ability to aim to the noise and, hence, pick up less stations.

The unit works very well but it does need a good "noise antenna". Someone else's settings may never be yours. It's highly dependent of the phases and strengths in your particular situation. 
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 02:54:04 PM »

Spent the day trying different noise antennas, run a wire parallel to the sloper, across the yard, around the roof, in none of the configurations is the noise antenna hearing the same signal the sloper is. So needless to say I am not getting the results I was expecting. May be time to give up 160 and 80.
AJ8MH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »

Interesting. What does a CW signal sound like when you switch from the sense antenna to the main antenna and back? Alternately turn the gain of the antennas down with the 1026 to compare.  And, turn your FT-990 receiver pre-amps off, if you can.

On mine, there is a little difference in S meter readings, but signal sounds the same.  I'm trying to understand why the noise (buzz) sounds different, especially when your antennas were parallel.

Where do you think the noise is coming from?

WB4BYQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 06:51:14 AM »

Maybe the tower is picking up the noise.  was tracing some noise the other day at
another hams home and the tower was hearing another noise other than the one we
were trying to find.  Tower equal vertical ant.

richard
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 06:27:49 AM »

Interesting. What does a CW signal sound like when you switch from the sense antenna to the main antenna and back? Alternately turn the gain of the antennas down with the 1026 to compare.  And, turn your FT-990 receiver pre-amps off, if you can.

I'll try this tonight, I don't think the 990 has a preamp, but I have also tried it with the RF ATT on.

On mine, there is a little difference in S meter readings, but signal sounds the same.  I'm trying to understand why the noise (buzz) sounds different, especially when your antennas were parallel.

Not sure, but all antenna combinations were tried and I can't get the same noise on the sensing antenna. I also noticed the internet/phone modem is causing noise, I will be calling the cable company to see if they are aware of this.

Where do you think the noise is coming from?

I am suspecting a neighborhood Plasma TV or some other power supply. At first I thought it was an arching streetlight or transformer, but I have walked or driven up every road within a kilometer distance from my QTH with a portable receiver and was not able to find the noise. Also used the car AM radio and no luck. So I think it is very close to the house, that is why I suspect a TV or power supply from some other electronics.

Yesterday and this morning I noticed more noise on the band. As far up as 15m, an S5 noise across the whole HF spectrum. May be time to pack in HF and move up to VHF/UHF operations! Or get a new hobby.

VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 10:44:37 AM »

Maybe the tower is picking up the noise. 

The 160/80/40 antenna is an Alpha Delta DX-B sloper, which uses the tower as a counterpoise. You may be correct. I do see a slight null, but only about 2 S-units. If I really want to knock the noise down, I can turn down the gain of both antennas, but then I'm not hearing anything.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 06:56:52 PM »

Find a portable AM radio. Not a portable HF receiver. Just a good old transistor radio wih the ferrite bar antenna. Find the noise. Use a map of your property to triangulate.

If the noise seems to be coming from all directions, pick a day when no one is home, and start by turning off breakers in your house panel, one at a time. See if the noise stops.

If the noise continues, try using the coax shield instead of the center conductor as the sense antenna, since the noise is obviously local in nature. Very local. Maybe a switching power supply. Maybe the one you are using to power the radio. Try a different power supply.

VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 07:07:46 PM »

Find a portable AM radio. Not a portable HF receiver. Just a good old transistor radio wih the ferrite bar antenna. Find the noise. Use a map of your property to triangulate.

If the noise seems to be coming from all directions, pick a day when no one is home, and start by turning off breakers in your house panel, one at a time. See if the noise stops.

Tried that, with all breakers off, noise is still present.

If the noise continues, try using the coax shield instead of the center conductor as the sense antenna, since the noise is obviously local in nature. Very local. Maybe a switching power supply. Maybe the one you are using to power the radio. Try a different power supply.

Done that as well. It's not the radio, had the same problem with my TS940.

I used a splitter and hooked my sloper to bot the radio and the 1026. Was able to null the noise from 20 over to S-0 so I know the MFJ unit is working. Just need to get the sensing antenna to hear the same noise the sloper does.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 07:44:21 PM »

Sounds like you're on track. I wore my fingers out tweaking the 1026. Sometimes it works wonders, sometimes it seems to do nothing at all. One example of working wonders is that it could almost completely kill the jamming of Radio Marti. One example of doing nothing is trying to null out local noise.

It's in a box, in the closet.
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 06:45:59 PM »

I have tried everything, running the noise antenna parallel to the sloper, ran it perpendicular, regardless of the configuration I cannot get it to hear the same noise as the sloper. I really don't know what to try next.

The sloper is at about 30' of the side of the tower sloping east, and about 10' off the ground at the far end. The noise antenna is about 60' of 12 gauge wire connected to the center of an unused piece of coax. There is no ground connection on this antenna. Could this be part of the problem?
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 06:39:54 AM »

I ran the sensing antenna from the chimney over to the tree and down to the same end support as the sloper, so the "noise" antenna has both a parallel and perpendicular element to it. Is still does not pick up the loud "buzz" the sloper hears. I am totally at a loss. I have tried every configuration possible and I cannot duplicate the interference on any RX/TX antenna. Even my 3 element HF beam does not hear it the same way.

I think I am going to have to remove the sloper and just run a long wire for my low band antenna, probably won't perform any worse than the sloper and at least this way I won't hear the interference.

Is it possible the sloper is picking it up differently because of it's configuration? As mentioned, the tower is the ground half of the sloper and it runs easterly at about 30' at the top and 10' at the bottom. It is a DX-B.

My last effort may be to just run two parallel wires from the tower down to the lower support and separate them by a few inches. Feed them with separate coax and use one for the RX/TX antenna and the other for the noise antenna.

Can't really think of any other options.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: