Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Something fishy  (Read 2833 times)
KE7EYX

Ignore
« on: March 15, 2013, 08:28:37 AM »

I smell a scam  Grin.  I posted a for sale add a while back on qrz for some 2m radios was trying to get rid of an got a reply for a guy wanting one for a transmitter for the local volunteer fire dept. in the Philippines. I got this reply in july of last yr. responded an got another message yesterday saying was still interested. Wants me to ship it to there, said if shipping is to expensive to go that way he might let me ship to a relatives place state side. Now for the clues that give the red flag

1 Might let ship to relative state side in indiana
2 Has multiple contact numbers listed on signature one happening to be a US number.  looked it up an is for San Diego, CA   little odd for a call sign Indiana
3 I triple verified his call and all locations looked it up gives same information. but know that some have fallen to victim to scamers hijacking their qrz page an so on.

I do not care to ship internationally period because of all the RED TAPE to do so. I responded with per to ship state side as easier and less paperwork and gave prices for shipping costs.  From all the scams that have happen lately to others I prefer not to join the victim list.

Gona play along an see what his next move is.....

WB6VHK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 09:04:56 AM »

As long as you get payment before you ship it sounds ok to me.
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 10:15:01 AM »

As long as you get payment before you ship it sounds ok to me.

Not really. Sometimes, the scammers pay with forged cashiers check, which you deposit and find out too much later that the check isn't any good. And PayPal with stolen credit cards is a common problem, common enough for PayPal to urge people not to do business with certain countries. I know that forged money orders are also a problem, and scammers have even gone so far as to create fake escrow sites to make you think you are protected.

-- Tom
WB6VHK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 10:49:13 AM »

If you wait for the payment to clear what is the problem ?  Many times I have sold something to a overseas buyer and they requested I ship it to a friend or relative here in the states, it always worked out ok.

Wait for payment to clear and then ship.
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 11:36:10 AM »

This sounds familiar -- like the guy I was dealing with a few weeks ago.

Lee, please check my profile & email me.  I'd like to compare notes with you.  Maybe we're dealing with the same guy.

73!

N9LCD
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 01:30:49 PM »

KE7EYX

Sending stuff to the Philippines through a stateside relative is not uncommon, rather it is quite common and pretty cheap. There is a cottage industry for sending stuff to the PI in what are known as Balikbayan boxes. A Balikbayan shipping company usually has offices in the US and PI. The US office collects the boxes from locals and ships them overseas on ships at bulk cargo rates. The PI office receives them and sends them off to the destination city. My mother is filipino and she regularly sends clothes, electronics, books, etc. to her brothers back in the PI using one of these shipping services.

I think you are safe if you work the deal so that you only ship to a relative in the US and payment is made with a USPS money order which is as good as cash.

Ray KJ6AMF
KE7EYX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 09:39:37 PM »

I'd like to ship state side an let his contact mail it to him so am not waiting a long time for payment to clear or find out got a bad payment and am out the $ an he gets the radios.

Up date now he wants my contact info so relative in texas an pay and would be sending them to her. All the constant changing of things is starting to make me wonder.....
WB6VHK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 07:37:57 AM »

I'd like to ship state side an let his contact mail it to him so am not waiting a long time for payment to clear or find out got a bad payment and am out the $ an he gets the radios.

Up date now he wants my contact info so relative in texas an pay and would be sending them to her. All the constant changing of things is starting to make me wonder.....

Once again, why on earth would you EVER send something until the buyers payment has cleared ? ? ?
KE7EYX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 08:24:57 AM »

NOTHING has been sent yet. still in the process of negotiating things out.  Just giving updates to whats going on and looking for peoples advice on the deal or if think is a scam!
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 07:01:45 AM »

If you wait for the payment to clear what is the problem ?  Many times I have sold something to a overseas buyer and they requested I ship it to a friend or relative here in the states, it always worked out ok.

If you go talk to your bank, you will soon see what the problem is.  You can get a charge back on your account weeks or months after the "check has cleared".  The bank will always get the funds back from you, regardless.  Their position is that it is never their loss.

A Postal Money Order, checked by the post office, with cash in your hand, and no fraud on your part, is the closest you can get to the check actually clearing.

Sam
W9KDX
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 07:35:16 PM »

Sam, W9KDX, is correct.

Any check, money order, etc can "clear" and not be PAID.
There is a difference. Banks "clear" checks before payment
in a few days for convenience and to keep the wheels of
commerce turning. If you dig down deep enough into
bank legal boilerplate, we learn that your endorsement signature
on the back of that check is your promise to pay that check
(or whatever vehicle) to the bank if it proves to be forged,
fraudulent, insufficient funds, etc.

Banks have up to a year to come after you and demand
payment for a bad or forged check even if it has "cleared".
Doesn't happen a lot, but it can and does happen.

Re the original post, yes it's rewarding to help our brother
hams in Third World countries who do have a problem getting
equipment. I have helped hams in TA (Turkey) and 5R8
(Madagascar) get gear, including HF rigs. However, I was paid
fully in advance, and delivery to Turkey was by a relative of mine
travelling there, and to 5R8, travelling there myself.

But if you feel the slightest big uncomfortable about any
aspect of the deal, I would pass, but that's me.
73, Ken AD6KA
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 08:15:08 PM by AD6KA » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 06:36:11 AM »

...A Postal Money Order, checked by the post office, with cash in your hand, and no fraud on your part, is the closest you can get to the check actually clearing.

Just  an observation--I would add "and your never having to be afraid that later on you'll be paying that money back to a bank."
KE7EYX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 06:53:22 PM »

Finally after multiple emails with the guy finally got a zipcode where to ship the radios to his relative. Told him it would be xx amount and prefer Postal Money order. Also said as soon as receive payment will send the radios.  Now waiting for response  Grin

Postal payment = good as cash and both are happy.  Any other payment is questionable an don't care to be on the poor end of some deal that went bad over payment. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: