Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lets Play "Guess that DX-pedition" . . .  (Read 26903 times)
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: March 31, 2013, 06:57:46 AM »

Sophie Schmidt did a trip report when her dad went with bill Richardson. It was very interesting. Google it.
NM6V

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: March 31, 2013, 04:55:52 PM »

Since we are talking about N. Korea.  Go to Google Earth and find Uncheon in S. Korea (wish I had Google Earth back in the 70's, would have made my gov. job easier, hihi)
Anyways, look to the North and find National Route 1/Asian Hwy 1, follow this Hwy North and you will come to a transportation hub, which includes truck and rail.
Now follow the Hwy North and you will see some interesting things like tank over crossings, high tension power lines (this is key), rail line (also key) you will finally get to the border crossing fence.
Notice the road converges into 2 lanes but more importantly notice the tire marks on the road, I would expect this in a warmer climate but thats a lot of truck traffic and constant.
Much of that rubber usually washes away with rain.
If you continue to follow the road North you come upon Kaesong Border Checkpoint and finally Kaesong itself.  This is an industrial complex/city.

You will also find tank traps outside of this area and other interesting features.  What does this all mean, could be several things but just from this I can tell you this complex is
making "stuff" and sending it South (notice all the trucks on the side of the road in this complex facing South) and a lot of it.

Remember when Germany was West Germany and East Germany?  When you purchased something from West Germany or East Germany for that fact, it said "Made in West or East
Germany.
Check out your Samsung or L.G. TV or Washer/Dryer or Frig. Etc...  what does it say?   Made in Korea, not "Made in South Korea"
Anyways, just something to speculate about and chew on. 

By the way I need P5 for #340, I hope things change for the better so we all can work a P5.

Cheers

Henry  NM6V
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: April 01, 2013, 12:04:43 AM »

You will also find tank traps outside of this area and other interesting features.  What does this all mean, could be several things but just from this I can tell you this complex is
making "stuff" and sending it South (notice all the trucks on the side of the road in this complex facing South) and a lot of it.

Would it surprise me if multinational companies were using North Korea as very low cost manufacturing hub?  Absolutely not!  The almighty dollar trumps all in this world even if it means helping a country we are still at war with develop a nuclear bomb and accurate ICBMs.

With your knowledge of how rubber usually washes away and the high tension lines I'd guess you have some experience analyzing satellite or high flying aircraft photos.

I worked a guy in Russia once who was in the far northern city in Russia so I decided to look at the Google Earth photos of it.  It was obvious the city was created due to the mineral deposits because it wasn't near anything and there was hardly any foliage plus the pollutions was very visible. I'm pretty sure the city was Norilsk.  Many of the big cities we work in Russia have huge pollution problems.  Just Google "10 most polluted Russian cities" and chances are somebody with a decent station has worked many of them.

If one is the curious type they could easily make a hobby out of viewing Google Earth and uncovering all sorts of odd things.

Chris/NU1O

WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: April 01, 2013, 05:28:38 AM »

CHris/NU1O, my limited understanding of the sanctions is that the target is banking and hard currency along with consumer goods.  http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/26/us-korea-north-combat-idUSBRE92P0V220130326?feedType=RSS

Does anyone remember as a teenager playing the Avalon-Hill board games? Called turn-based strategy games, it was a wargame scenario that allowed for movement and interaction of units in a theater scenario of a historical battle in the past.  I used to enjoy learning about tactics and World War 2, how the Third Reich initially succeeded and then had to retreat.  Same with Napolean.

Well about 10 years ago, I found that these types of games had been computerized!  You can play against another player (take a turn, mail the updated file, the other player takes a turn and mails back the file, etc) or against the computer.  Different parameters (degree of difficulty, reinforcements, etc.).  Well, one of the MOST INTERESTING of these was called Korea 85.  It is based on the Order of Battle (ORBAT) for 1985 on the peninsula.  North versus South. Summer and Winter campaigns.  It simulated how the North would attack in a full cross-border move.  The game received numerous awards for realism of strategy for both sides.  One of the illuminating elements of the game is how quickly Seoul would fall and how difficult it would be to hold ground for the South.  Basically a "trade territory for time until reinforcements arrive."  Heavy losses on both sides.  Of course, DPRK is a lot different today than in 1985 (and so are we).  But it was very informative.

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/products/ModBat/Korea85/korea85.html

I eventually stopped playing these when they began to keep me up late at night (which was when I was supposed to be DXing!)

Given that the first thing which will happen when DPRK falls is a mass migration of refugees, desparate for food and clothing, it seems like the chaos will take some time to die down.  So maybe DPRK leadership change + 2 years until P5 is active again.  (Of course, the priority should not be on ham radio but in stability and getting order restored so people in DPRK can get some basics back in their lives).

KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: April 01, 2013, 06:21:10 AM »

How long has it been since the "teaser" was announced?
MM0NDX

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: April 01, 2013, 06:35:44 AM »

It's coming...(after a slight delay)...
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: April 01, 2013, 06:51:06 AM »

It's coming...(after a slight delay)...

It should probably not happen on April fool's day.  Shocked

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: April 01, 2013, 09:44:39 AM »

Does anyone remember as a teenager playing the Avalon-Hill board games?

I had Battle of the Bulge and U-Boat, but I could never get any of my friends to play. It was too nerdy. There were some kids in school who played Strat-O-Matic baseball and football.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: April 01, 2013, 10:36:16 AM »

How long has it been since the "teaser" was announced?

I cant remember that long ago... (Old........)

But anything is better than  the political diatribe, which does not really belong here.

Perhaps a good dose of Haley's MO would clean things up....... Roll Eyes

73, Gene AF3Y
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: April 01, 2013, 11:58:50 AM »

Oh, North Korea makes stuff. They make cars as a matter of fact. They make fiat designs from Chinese parts.

They also make a lot of stuff in Kaesong like clothes and white goods, but this isn't exactly a secret.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 12:01:18 PM by N2RJ » Logged
PB1TT

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: April 01, 2013, 02:05:50 PM »

Just came across this, while googling:
http://www.amsterdamdx.org/
Not much info, but could be the one....
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: April 01, 2013, 02:12:08 PM »

Just came across this, while googling:
http://www.amsterdamdx.org/
Not much info, but could be the one....

Good sleuthing.  What is the password?

Jonathan W6GX
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: April 01, 2013, 02:13:50 PM »

ah - I am sure you are the winner!
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: April 01, 2013, 02:29:28 PM »

"TAAF issued them a permit to land and conduct a DXpedition from Amsterdam Island for up to 18 days between the dates of January 15 and February 20 of 2014. Landing, set-up, and take down are included in those 18 days."

There's more information out there... if you know where to find it.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: April 01, 2013, 02:39:12 PM »

I'm glad to hear it's not KP1.  Because I know KP1 will be activated.  It's just a matter of time.

Jonathan W6GX
Pages: Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: