Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lets Play "Guess that DX-pedition" . . .  (Read 22443 times)
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2013, 04:05:16 PM »

Grin Hmmmm.... I don't have these problems. I'll take anything. Heck I'll take a big operation from A9. (If I hear another A9 run all EU I'm going to scream!  Grin) I think there was a big one when I was off the air.

In any case I hope you guys will be happy with wherever this thing is - because I'll probably need it anyway.
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2013, 04:36:05 PM »

Sorry but that's a poor attitude, there a lots of us who aren't active that long and would be very excited to see 3Y active,

No matter where they go you won't please everyone but #3 would be a good place to go,

I heard this is going to be a big budget outing >$1million maybe,so it's more than likely down there somewhere,

Trevor
EI2GLB

I reiterate, please, not Bouvet! A fair number of guys worked 3Y0E quite easily a few years back. Bandfills would be nice, but there are so many entities down in that part of the world that haven't seen an activation in at least 12-15 years and need a DXpedition far more than Bouvet does.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2013, 04:44:05 PM »

3Y0E made "About 1500 QSO's", which for a #3 entity is not much of a dent.

Wow - if its a $1 million dollar DX-ped - I need to talk to them . . .
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2013, 04:53:08 PM »

I had thought about another Microlite Penguins dxpeditions.  However after learning that it cost $5 per QSO at South Orkney I'm not too sure now...

Jonathan W6GX

$5 is fine, if one is needing the confirmation. I never send less than $5 for OQRS anyway.

If the Penguins do another VP8/x, I hope it is around December. I did not hear a peep from them on VP8ORK, which was apparently a very good DXpedition.

And although SV/A is apparently QRV about monthly, because the operator there seems to disregard the "rest of the world" DX, there may as well be nobody there.

Wherever this yet to be announced DXpedition will be, it will be useful to somebody, and at the very least, a Marathon point for my 2013 quest. (Unless it is a VP8/x before the end of the year.)
73, es GL,
Luke VK3HJ
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2013, 05:15:34 PM »

With the group we have here, someone will probably be disapointed at the destination. For instance, I dont need Glorioso, I do need Bouvet.... etc. etc.  I dont need Mt. Athos, and John (as well as others) needs it. I dont think any of us have all 340.....

So..... I guess we will just have to make the most of it.  I have only worked a couple of the top 20, so its a good chance of an ATNO for me. I hope its something we ALL need Grin.

I just wish they would hurry up.  When God was handing out patience, I was over in the brains and looks lines Cheesy. hi hi

73, Gene AF3Y

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 05:21:20 PM by AF3Y » Logged
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2013, 05:20:23 PM »

If the Penguins do another VP8/x, I hope it is around December. I did not hear a peep from them on VP8ORK, which was apparently a very good DXpedition.

73, es GL,
Luke VK3HJ

I snagged VP8ORK on 12 CW and 40 CW, but they were always VERY weak each time I could hear them.  I read somewhere they dont use amps?  That seems strange, at least to me. Roll Eyes

73, Gene AF3Y
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2013, 05:57:46 PM »

VP8ORK did use amps. I think the problem was that they planned to place their antennas at the oceans edge, however the giant sea lions and think piles of poop forced the antennas to be further from the waters edge.   Their signals were very weak on the West Coast, however the Ops were superb.
K0AP

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2013, 06:42:46 PM »

The last multi-national (big) dxpedition to Bouvet island was back in 1990 (3Y5X). They logged about 50k Qso's. So, I hope my predictions are right and after 23 years we will have the next big operation from Bouvet island. A dream may come true for many of us, regardless of what few other people desire. I found this interesting link with history and pictures from 3Y5X Bouvet island operation.

http://www.qsl.net/k5mb/bouvet_island.html

What a place, huh?

73 Dragan K0AP

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2013, 07:31:48 PM »

VP8ORK did use amps. I think the problem was that they planned to place their antennas at the oceans edge, however the giant sea lions and think piles of poop forced the antennas to be further from the waters edge.   Their signals were very weak on the West Coast, however the Ops were superb.

They also had an obstructed path to NA.  I recall the number of contacts to NA was quite low.

Jonathan W6GX
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2013, 07:44:21 PM »

I'm sure it was a lot more than that, although I don't have his stats handy. Where did you come up with that low a number? I thought I read it was closer to 10k, but I could be mistaken. It WAS a long time ago! Still, 1500 more than we've seen from Tromelin, Crozet or Amsterdam. I'd put the cut-off at 10 years, even, including a bunch of stuff I don't have...so it's not about my desires, personally. That would rule out San Felix, South Georgia, South Sandwich and a bunch of others. For a mil-plus, I really, honestly hope they go somewhere that this generation of DXers hasn't had the opportunity to work, period. Gildas on Crozet for an hour doesn't count, either.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2013, 07:59:24 PM »

l'll ask a tough question.  Put yourself in the shoes of the dxpeditioner.  Would you spend $1M on an ultra rare entity or would you spend $1M on ten different entities in the top 50?  The latter has the potential of giving ATNOs to a greater number of hams.  Now put yourself in the shoes of the dx'er.  Would you rather have one ultra rare entity or five semi-rare entity?  The latter would help you reach HR sooner.  Assume you have worked 300 entities.

Jonathan W6GX
K0AP

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2013, 08:17:57 PM »

I'm sure it was a lot more than that, although I don't have his stats handy. Where did you come up with that low a number? I thought I read it was closer to 10k, but I could be mistaken. It WAS a long time ago! Still, 1500 more than we've seen from Tromelin, Crozet or Amsterdam. I'd put the cut-off at 10 years, even, including a bunch of stuff I don't have...so it's not about my desires, personally. That would rule out San Felix, South Georgia, South Sandwich and a bunch of others. For a mil-plus, I really, honestly hope they go somewhere that this generation of DXers hasn't had the opportunity to work, periodj. Gildas on Crozet for an hour doesn't count, either.

Just my opinion but activating CE0X and few others you mentioned is like a walk to the park compared to activating Bouvet. Thus it's #3 on the most wanted list.

73 Dragan K0AP
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2013, 08:24:57 PM »

l'll ask a tough question.  Put yourself in the shoes of the dxpeditioner.  Would you spend $1M on an ultra rare entity or would you spend $1M on ten different entities in the top 50?  The latter has the potential of giving ATNOs to a greater number of hams.  Now put yourself in the shoes of the dx'er.  Would you rather have one ultra rare entity or five semi-rare entity?  The latter would help you reach HR sooner.  Assume you have worked 300 entities.

I'd rather have one major one. P5, KP1, etc. Something insanely hard. Many in the top-50 are activated at least semi-regularly. Imagine you just missed Peter the First after the last DXpedition. It may well be 25 or more years before that one comes on again, if ever in our lifetimes due to escalating costs versus need. Or 7O. I missed P5 and regret not doing more to work him; that may be the last one I'll ever need to work if the little insane child keeps throwing nuclear-themed temper tantrums. Yeah, I'll take one big one any day of the week.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2013, 08:36:33 PM »

I'd rather have one major one. P5, KP1, etc. Something insanely hard. Many in the top-50 are activated at least semi-regularly. Imagine you just missed Peter the First after the last DXpedition. It may well be 25 or more years before that one comes on again, if ever in our lifetimes due to escalating costs versus need. Or 7O. I missed P5 and regret not doing more to work him; that may be the last one I'll ever need to work if the little insane child keeps throwing nuclear-themed temper tantrums. Yeah, I'll take one big one any day of the week.

I guess it depends on what is your goal.  If your goal is #1 HR then yes you need P5.  But if you really want HR would you give up P5 for five ATNOs (which for you they will be very rare anyways but not as rare as P5)?

Jonathan W6GX
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2013, 09:02:22 PM »

I'm sure it was a lot more than that, although I don't have his stats handy. Where did you come up with that low a number? I thought I read it was closer to 10k, but I could be mistaken. It WAS a long time ago! Still, 1500 more than we've seen from Tromelin, Crozet or Amsterdam. I'd put the cut-off at 10 years, even, including a bunch of stuff I don't have...so it's not about my desires, personally. That would rule out San Felix, South Georgia, South Sandwich and a bunch of others. For a mil-plus, I really, honestly hope they go somewhere that this generation of DXers hasn't had the opportunity to work, period. Gildas on Crozet for an hour doesn't count, either.

I got that number from Col, MM0NDX - when he was the web master / blog master for Petrus and 3Y0E.

My guess is that Tromelin or Amsterdam would actually be the two that most everyone needs these days - certainly anyone who started DX-ing in 2000 or later. All of the rest have had at least some activity - even if just a little.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: