Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lets Play "Guess that DX-pedition" . . .  (Read 25336 times)
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »

I got that number from Col, MM0NDX - when he was the web master / blog master for Petrus and 3Y0E.

My guess is that Tromelin or Amsterdam would actually be the two that most everyone needs these days - certainly anyone who started DX-ing in 2000 or later. All of the rest have had at least some activity - even if just a little.

OK, I stand corrected about 3Y0E, but I still think that were 7-figures are to be spent, best to consider something that nobody's even had a chance at in all that time. But it ain't up to me, so there. I need Bouvet on 8 bands and 2 modes, but sitting 4 back of H.R. makes it all the more interesting on a personal level. South Orkney happened the same way for me. I worked a small outpost a year or so before the big DXpedition and I was crushed when I saw that chunk of change going to what would not be an ATNO for me. I'm hoping this isn't deja vu all over again.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2013, 09:12:04 PM »

Kingman Reef would trump all of these for me . . . .

but I very seriously doubt it. No one wants to activate something that has been rumored that it is going to be deleted - for the last 13 years. It should be renamed "Limbo Reef" . .
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2013, 09:37:50 PM »

I worked a small outpost a year or so before the big DXpedition and I was crushed when I saw that chunk of change going to what would not be an ATNO for me. I'm hoping this isn't deja vu all over again.

Unfortunately when you get 'up there' you will have more disappointments than joy when it comes to dxpedition announcements.  And don't be surprised if the $1M goes to Bouvet.

Jonathan W6GX

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2013, 09:40:05 PM »

$5 is fine, if one is needing the confirmation. I never send less than $5 for OQRS anyway.

The $5 figure is NOT for a QSL.  It's for each QSO made.  That's how expensive it is to go to a VP8.

Jonathan W6GX
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2013, 09:42:25 PM »

Kingman Reef would trump all of these for me . . . .

but I very seriously doubt it. No one wants to activate something that has been rumored that it is going to be deleted - for the last 13 years. It should be renamed "Limbo Reef" . .

FWIW I don't think Kingman will be deleted.  If it really meets the deletion criteria it would have been done years ago.

Jonathan W6GX
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2013, 07:27:57 AM »

The $5 figure is NOT for a QSL.  It's for each QSO made.  That's how expensive it is to go to a VP8.
Jonathan W6GX

I already know that is a figure indicative of the cost of the DXpedition, not what is charged per QSO.  I don't mind at all supporting a DXpedition I feel I have "got my money's worth", i.e. multiple bands, or ATNO, with a lot more than the requested fee for a QSL. You can see I've supported many of the DXpeditions over the past 5 year or so. And I put myself in the "hot seat" somewhere each year over the same period.
The VP8s are all directly over the south pole from here, so if VP8LP in Falkland I is any indication, I can only expect to hear them for a few months around late Spring - early Summer, i.e., Oct-Jan.
The best I might hope for is maybe Honor Roll. I've left it too late to work the entire list. 9BDXCC is just about in sight.
Geez, this is dragging on - the suspense is "killing" us!
Wherever this DXpedition will be, it will add value to the DX game.
Luke Vk3HJ
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2013, 07:29:58 AM »

VP8ORK did use amps. I think the problem was that they planned to place their antennas at the oceans edge, however the giant sea lions and think piles of poop forced the antennas to be further from the waters edge.   Their signals were very weak on the West Coast, however the Ops were superb.

Thanks for that info Paul.  WOW......... GIANT piles of GIANT sea lion POOP:o.
Sounds like you would need hip boots to get down to waters edge Undecided

The things that we DXers go through to offer up or to get an ATNO. hi hi

73, Gene AF3Y

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2013, 07:35:18 AM »

If the rumor is true that this is a $1M+ dxpedition.  And you have Heard at $1.3M+.  Are we confident that the pending dxpedition has raised enough money to make it a sure thing?  Or will they start raising money after the announcement is made?  As far I know Heard is not a sure thing.  The fundraising for it has just started.  Let's not put the cart ahead of the horse...

Jonathan W6GX
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2013, 07:37:20 AM »

Jonathan W6GX

I already know that is a figure indicative of the cost of the DXpedition, not what is charged per QSO.  I don't mind at all supporting a DXpedition I feel I have "got my money's worth", i.e. multiple bands, or ATNO, with a lot more than the requested fee for a QSL. You can see I've supported many of the DXpeditions over the past 5 year or so. And I put myself in the "hot seat" somewhere each year over the same period.
The VP8s are all directly over the south pole from here, so if VP8LP in Falkland I is any indication, I can only expect to hear them for a few months around late Spring - early Summer, i.e., Oct-Jan.
The best I might hope for is maybe Honor Roll. I've left it too late to work the entire list. 9BDXCC is just about in sight.
Geez, this is dragging on - the suspense is "killing" us!
Wherever this DXpedition will be, it will add value to the DX game.
Luke Vk3HJ

Hi Luke,

Thanks for supporting the many dxpeditions.  I feel the same way you do.

Jonathan W6GX
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2013, 07:47:15 AM »

VP8ORK did use amps. I think the problem was that they planned to place their antennas at the oceans edge, however the giant sea lions and think piles of poop forced the antennas to be further from the waters edge.   Their signals were very weak on the West Coast, however the Ops were superb.

They also had an obstructed path to NA.  I recall the number of contacts to NA was quite low.

Jonathan W6GX

Their log is still on ClubLog.  63643 qsos,  23542 with NA. I don't remember how their signals were, but they weren't too hard to work /m.

It doesn't matter much to me where this mystery dxpedition is going. Since it seems to be such a secret, I probably haven't worked it, and if I have, I probably need band fills.

Someone going somewhere is good enough for me.

Good luck working whoever it is going where ever it is they are going.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2013, 08:18:57 AM »

I must have been VERY LUCKY with VP8ORK !

I show 30cw, 40ph, 40cw & 30rtty

I don't care where they are going, chances are I NEED IT.
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2013, 11:09:59 AM »

VP8ORK were pretty loud and workable here

3Y5X was incredible...it is still my only single 3Y  QSO 20m ssb. 4 Jan 1990. calling just for 9's the split was 100 KHz wide.....impossible to spot. I was an N9 then. I have a better station now but was running a 922A into a Mosley CL-33 at 60 feet then.

Mark N1UK
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2013, 11:41:32 AM »

They also had an obstructed path to NA.  I recall the number of contacts to NA was quite low.

Their signals were very readable here in NorCal. I managed to work them on both phone and CW with 100 watts and a ground-mounted vertical (with no radials).
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2013, 11:49:02 AM »

VP8ORK was very easily worked on east coast; got them 10-160 and three modes. Never need another VP8/o again, unless it's for a Marathon point.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2013, 11:54:24 AM »

l'll ask a tough question.  Put yourself in the shoes of the dxpeditioner.  Would you spend $1M on an ultra rare entity or would you spend $1M on ten different entities in the top 50?  The latter has the potential of giving ATNOs to a greater number of hams.  Now put yourself in the shoes of the dx'er.  Would you rather have one ultra rare entity or five semi-rare entity?  The latter would help you reach HR sooner.  Assume you have worked 300 entities.

Jonathan W6GX

As a DX-er, I would one Ultra Rare over 10 semi rare.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: