Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lets Play "Guess that DX-pedition" . . .  (Read 23024 times)
MM0NDX

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: March 26, 2013, 03:24:36 PM »

The DXpedition will take place in 2014.

Unfortunately, no word on the announcement, BUT it is coming!

Nothing else to say, so let's now wait. (You all know something BIG will be announced, or at least you've been alerted ;-) )

73, Col MM0NDX

I have something to say.... Col, I think someone is pulling your leg. Smiley

73, Gene AF3Y

Hehe - I understand why you say that, but can state that you (and all) will be pleasantly surprised....(sorry the announcement was not when I thought it would be, BUT it will come)....

If I said landing permission was already granted and large organisations are about to be approached for sponsorship, would that make you still think my leg was being pulled?   Wink

73 Col MM0NDX
http://dx-world.net/
M0TTB

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: March 26, 2013, 04:02:59 PM »

If I said landing permission was already granted and large organisations are about to be approached for sponsorship, would that make you still think my leg was being pulled?   Wink

73 Col MM0NDX

Aha, so we can forget about E3, XZ, P5 now  Grin
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 04:05:39 PM by M0TTB » Logged
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: March 26, 2013, 04:30:03 PM »

If I said landing permission was already granted and large organisations are about to be approached for sponsorship, would that make you still think my leg was being pulled?   Wink

73 Col MM0NDX

"Landing permission already granted"...... I think I like the sound of that Cheesy

Sounds like USFWS gave in.....

Keep up the good work.

73, Gene AF3Y
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: March 26, 2013, 04:51:21 PM »

Nothing else to say, so let's now wait. (You all know something BIG will be announced, or at least you've been alerted ;-) )

73, Col MM0NDX

I have something to say.... Col, I think someone is pulling your leg. Smiley

73, Gene AF3Y

Hehe - I understand why you say that, but can state that you (and all) will be pleasantly surprised....(sorry the announcement was not when I thought it would be, BUT it will come)....

73 Col MM0NDX

My KP1 guess is looking better and better all the time. Paul has been quiet...

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: March 26, 2013, 05:21:29 PM »

why not just say what it is.

what's the point of this thread.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: March 26, 2013, 05:29:10 PM »

why not just say what it is.

what's the point of this thread.

In Rich's defense, it was a fun thread a week ago  Roll Eyes

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: March 26, 2013, 09:49:31 PM »

I'm beginning to think the DXpedition's callsign will be:

H0AX

or

J0KE

COOL! I can use both of those prefixes on CW!

John AF5CC
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: March 27, 2013, 04:26:30 AM »

Knowing its something for 2014, that leaves nothing announced that I need in 2013. This means its time to design, build and try some new antennas.

I have a couple really interesting projects ready to go. The drill press will be whirring again soon.
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: March 27, 2013, 11:58:23 AM »

Col: Just make sure that when you do make the announcement it's NOT on April 1st. Delay it a day or two if required Grin

John K7KB
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: March 27, 2013, 01:11:46 PM »

If I said landing permission was already granted and large organisations are about to be approached for sponsorship, would that make you still think my leg was being pulled?   Wink

73 Col MM0NDX

Aha, so we can forget about E3, XZ, P5 now  Grin

All three of those do have coastlines, and also, maybe it is airplane landing permission!

Still hoping for South Sandwich, though.

73 John AF5CC
WB3BEL

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: March 28, 2013, 07:26:50 AM »

73, Col MM0NDX

I hope that this all works out...

I can't see what the harm would be in asking one tiny question...

Will this rumored DXpedition be in the Top 10 DXCC needed list globally as shown here?  

https://secure.clublog.org/mostwanted.php

Yes  No  No Comment

A French Indian Ocean/Antarctic tour with multi-stops would be a bonanza !!!  This seems like it would be an economical way to combine resources.  Maybe a 6 week tour with resupply and ham radio objectives?

KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: March 28, 2013, 07:47:05 AM »

A French Indian Ocean/Antarctic tour with multi-stops would be a bonanza !!!  This seems like it would be an economical way to combine resources.  Maybe a 6 week tour with resupply and ham radio objectives?

You have hit the nail on the head - that some combined effort / shared cost scheme is what is needed for these places (that N1DG had suggested in his excellent presentation on cost for DX-peditions and who usually foots the bill).

Several of these places are now $1 million dollar DX-peditions! Ironically, access isn't the issue - its cost. Here's the "million dollar question": How do DX-peditions raise $1 million dollars - above and beyond charging the participants a "seat fee"?

Then we have the US F&W controlled entities - much cheaper (still very expensive though), and access is very difficult but fund raising is do-able.

I know for a fact that these topics will be big at the IDXC in Visalia in less than a month. I can't wait to go and discuss these topics - in person with those "in the know".
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: March 28, 2013, 10:26:02 AM »

I thought Clipperton included scientific research work to help get additional grants.  For southern latitude islands, imagine the scientific research that could be done down there!  Global climate studies, sea current data collection, wildlife analysis.  With all the money being spent on studying climate change, how many observations are being made in the areas in the deep southern hemisphere?  Just sayin'

Mark Lunday, WD4ELG
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: March 28, 2013, 10:40:13 AM »

I thought Clipperton included scientific research work to help get additional grants.  For southern latitude islands, imagine the scientific research that could be done down there!  Global climate studies, sea current data collection, wildlife analysis.  With all the money being spent on studying climate change, how many observations are being made in the areas in the deep southern hemisphere?  Just sayin'

Mark Lunday, WD4ELG

The scientific work (and grants) covered (roughly) 10% of Clipperton's cost. You are on the right track and have the right idea, its just that money is tight these days . . . .

The greater "economy of scale" and leverage point that I see is actually far more basic - share transportation costs by doing "two - fer" or "three - fers". Ships like the Marion Dufresne do a loop around several of these islands, so if there were say three teams sharing the cost - activating three islands on the MD's route - bingo - this could be the answer.

Check this out - its important:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_Dufresne_(1995)

Look at the Eco-Tourism section.

I think it comes down to really basic transportation economics in the end. Some of these islands can only be accessed using a helicopter. Keep that in mind.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: March 28, 2013, 10:48:13 AM »

Rich/KY6R, that would be incredible...3 DXpeditions to 3 most-wanted islands going on at one time?  Talk about adrenaline rush!
Pages: Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: