Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vertical Ground System Question  (Read 571 times)
W0GXA

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2013, 10:47:11 AM »

I've done extensive reading on ground systems for ground mounted HF verticals.  I was going along blissfully until a fellow ham mentioned he had a series of 1/4 wave ground radials for each ham band for his ground mounted SteppIR.  I thought 1/4 for the lowest frequency band was all that was needed.  I also believe I read the ground detunes the radials anyway, so they really aren't resonant.  So did I miss something in my reading?  I thought only elevated verticals needed resonant radials.

Some background... I'm going to erect a 9 band vertical and I'm blessed with enough space to do a full 1/4 wave system at 7MHz and about 300 degrees of the system can be 1/4 at 3.5MHz...  I just wan't planning 60 radials on each band :-)

73, Bob
W0GXA

NH7O

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 10:51:33 AM »

You are correct on both points. The ground does detune the radials.

I can imagine that some ground conditions could be very dry, gravelly and porous, in which case the radial system starts to act a more like an elevated system and resonances might be important. But for a somewhat moist dirt ground, you will do well with what you are planning.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 11:00:21 AM by NH7O » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: