Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: antenna book  (Read 1883 times)
RONPIERCE1

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2013, 01:36:47 PM »

I have a couple handhelds 2/70cm, and will be getting something in the area of a yaesu 897D at the end of the year, looking to build or buy antenna systems for all 3 radios..soooo...thinking onbe for the handhelds and one or more for the HF, could someone advise me on a antenna book that would best fit what I am looking to do ?...there seems to be 1,000,000 books on antennas. Huh
W7KB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 01:52:10 PM »

Why not start with the ARRL Antenna Book?...Pretty much covers all types of antennas,not specifics on any one type of antenna use or design....73...Dennis W7KB.
RONPIERCE1

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 02:15:14 PM »

:)that's how I ended up asking you guys, I notice several pages at arrl on antennas...instead of a shot in the dark I figured some of you may have read more than one of those and would know which one would suit my needs best.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 04:44:32 PM »

Ron, there are BUNCHES of good antenna books, and nearly every issue of _QST_ has an antenna construction article, too!  You might look at your local public library--antenna books don't have to be NEW, nothing much about RF physics has changed recently.  Wink   And if you can get to a hamfest, there are always bunches of used antenna books.   There are also dozens or hundreds of websites with "build it" antenna articles!

I'd agree, the ARRL antenna handbook is great, but it might be a bit more than you want to start with.   Both the ARRL and the RSGB have published small "build it" books, too; tons of good stuff to start with in those.

I'm pleased to hear you're thinking about rolling your own--building antennas for HF and VHF is inexpensive and fun!   You're in for a world of fun!  73!  --ken
RONPIERCE1

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 05:08:04 PM »

ok I see what you guys are talking about "THE" arrl book, I just got the 19th edition with CD for 11 bucks...sounds like that will have what I need.
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 04:28:23 AM »

There's a bunch of books by Bill Orr, W6SAI that are excellent, and they are generally oriented towards building, not buying.

73 de N4CR, Phil

Never believe an atom. They make up everything.
KF7ITG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 09:34:04 PM »

Practical Antenna Handbook

http://www.apparentlyapparel.com/uploads/5/3/5/6/5356442/_____practical_antenna_handbook_fourth_edition_carr.pdf

73s
KF7ITG
KK4AAG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 11:15:32 PM »

USMC Field Antenna Handbook

http://www.23bn-vdf.com/s3/USMC_Field_Antenna_Handbook.pdf
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 06:16:30 AM »

could someone advise me on a antenna book that would best fit what I am looking to do ?

What exactly are you "looking to do"?  You have to define the problem before you can solve it.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
AJ3O

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 06:47:39 AM »

The Internet IS your friend.....

Just Google what you are looking for and you will find a wealth of information for free.

For example type in Google: Homebrew antenna for 40 meters

you get:

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=Homebrew+antenna+for+40+meters&oq=Homebrew+antenna+for+40+meters&gs_l=hp.3..33i29i30l4.1148.1148.0.2307.1.1.0.0.0.0.75.75.1.1.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.6.psy-ab.895zzeyeVJ8&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.43828540,d.dmg&fp=2902240a56ffd6e1&biw=1600&bih=770

Just browse and read. If you want to know how something works or want to know what the various lengths or heights are for a specific antenna, just re-type your search and you will get plenty of information.

But, if you read through the ARRL antenna book that you purchased, you will be in good shape. Just remember a few key factors.

1. SAFETY FIRST!!!! Always be aware of what is around you, the antenna you want to put up, and if it will harm anyone that could come into contact with it!

2. Stealth, or it really doesn't matter. If you are in a HOA/CC&R situation, there are many antennas and examples out there. If you live out in the country and have plenty of real estate, go for what ever you want or possibly can handle.

3. Keep the XYL happy or find a happy compromise. This should be tied for # 1.

4. And finally, although not the end by any means, EVERYONE knows that an antenna works better when you build it yourself!  Grin It works even better if you do it in horrible weather. (Snow, rain, windstorm, etc.)  Wink Just ask all the other Hams that have gone this route.....

Above all else, have fun and never give up. Enjoy the hobby and try to help others out as you learn more. It really does pay off later on when you may need another hand.

Joe / AJ3O
KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 10:10:06 AM »

Excellent choice. Two years ago I downloaded it and put it on my tablet. When I have to wait in a Doctor's office, or any other place I have a long wait, I
just pop out my tablet and start reading. No matter how much I've learned about antennas, it's always nice to have a refresh.

Barry

ku3x.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: