Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another new shack  (Read 3661 times)
N0IKD

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2013, 02:20:07 PM »

I'm building a small cabin in a sparsely populated area in the NE of MN. The cabin will be my primary residence and will be solar/ off grid. I have chosen my radio gear with this in mind over the past couple of years. This cabin is a small 2 story and my radio shack will need to be upstairs. Many of the radio rooms/ operating positions I read about or see pictured are about the same footprint as my entire 16'x16' home!  I'm not complaining, I chose to build small and stay out of debt. It is challenging to design my radio stuff into such a limited area however. As much as I love my radio stuff, I still need room for a bed, kitchen table and a comfortable recliner!  This forum is quite usefull in regards to info such as grounding, outlets, feedline access and countless other topics.
 I will have info to share as this project progresses. I am quite sure a number of you guys are already experienced in living with a PV system and the limited and variable amount of WATTS you must live with.  I am just now putting together my shopping list for panels, controller, inverter, metering, mounts and all the other parts involved. I have read about some charge controllers and inverters causing RFI as well as led and cfl lightbulbs.

And has anybody ever heard of wrapping a rohn 25 tower (30'-35') in Birch Bark to make it look like a lifeless, limbless snag? We have thousands of dead birch trees up here. It would make it difficult to climb, but yes,  I am considering it to keep the neighbors and tourists happy..........stay tuned

N8YQX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 04:22:32 PM »

And has anybody ever heard of wrapping a rohn 25 tower (30'-35') in Birch Bark to make it look like a lifeless, limbless snag? We have thousands of dead birch trees up here. It would make it difficult to climb, but yes,  I am considering it to keep the neighbors and tourists happy..........stay tuned

I'm curious.  Even if you were able to hide the tower, how would you hide the antenna on top of the tower?  If you can't hide the entire antenna system, isn't hiding the tower a moot point?

For the sake of argument, if you're planning on stringing a wire antenna from the tower (since they are less visible), wouldn't it be possible to string the antenna from the birch trees instead (the cost of buying and putting up the tower would probably pay for miles of copper wire).

N8YQX
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 09:51:38 AM »

I doubt that it's a good idea.  Even if you could put the 'camouflage' on the tower in such a way to avoid contact between the bark and the metal, it would still trap moisture in the void, accelerating corrosion, similar to how it is in a sauna. 

As was asked, why do you want to cover it anyway?  Is there another party who demands such?  I would simply leave it.  The way the Birch tree bark is colored, people probably won't notice it anyway after it's been weathered.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 05:57:22 PM »

Paint the tower brown. If it's really a wooded location it will basically disappear in the brush.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 04:00:39 AM »

'JEG, Since Birch bark is silver, brown paint will just make the tower stand out.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 04:32:13 AM »

Since his QTH is MN. he probably has Paper birch,lots of brown,black and tan streaks and patches on bark.I vote for a black/white Zebra pattern on tower.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 06:14:53 AM »

'JEG, Since Birch bark is silver, brown paint will just make the tower stand out.

Maybe, but I've seen many brown cabins surrounded by aspen groves (which are gray), and they really don't stand out much if at all. Most of the world is more brown and green than you might think.

Forest green would work too.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 12:47:55 PM »

Maybe, but I've seen many brown cabins surrounded by aspen groves (which are gray), and they really don't stand out much if at all. Most of the world is more brown and green than you might think.

Forest green would work too.

You apparently didn't read the entire post.  The last part:
And has anybody ever heard of wrapping a rohn 25 tower (30'-35') in Birch Bark to make it look like a lifeless, limbless snag? We have thousands of dead birch trees up here. It would make it difficult to climb, but yes,  I am considering it to keep the neighbors and tourists happy....

I take that to mean that the area surrounding the tower is mostly Birch.  Birch trunks are silver-white.  That is why I answered as I did.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: