Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PayPal Push for Credit Cards  (Read 11709 times)
N1IN

Ignore
« on: November 17, 2011, 07:07:27 PM »

After years of using PayPal without a hitch—and never a payment problem with ANY credit card-- I was astounded to receive the following notification last night (11/16/2011) from Buy.Com: “Dear Buy.com Customer, We apologize for the inconvenience, but at this time we are not able to fulfill your order. Order #63208550 has been cancelled because you have a PayPal UnVerified Account or you are shipping to a PayPal Unconfirmed Address.”   
       This after PayPal had already emailed that my payment had been forwarded to Buy.Com. What had I done wrong? 
     Responding to my urgent inquiry, PayPal emailed that the quickest way to achieve “Verified” status would be signing up for their new credit card! But in the meantime, I’d lost a good bargain from Buy.com (now sold out) and also probably picked up a hit on my otherwise pristine record with the credit bureaus. And I don’t need another credit card.
       The remarkable thing about suddenly becoming “Unverified “after years as a steady customer is that as recently as Nov. 11 PayPal had honored a previous transaction for me.  No questions asked by that vendor.
       This experience may be of interest to others unaware of the new sales campaign for the PayPal credit card and in potential danger of being declared “Unverified.”
    Adding insult to injury, Buy.Com declined to honor my re-order using a longstanding personal MasterCard, although the vendor’s acknowledgment of the initial order proclaimed: “We pride ourselves on delivering the best possible shopping experience to you and all of our customers. That means that from the moment you enter Buy.com to the moment your order is delivered to your door - we are dedicated to your satisfaction.”
     Here’s the official guidance for anyone interested in checking their own status with PayPal:
“For more information on how to get a PayPal Verified Account and how to get a PayPal Confirmed Address, please go to the following links:
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/acc/seal-CA-unconfirmed-outside
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/shipping-address-outside.
Bill Sexton
N1IN
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 08:33:44 PM »

hi,

I am verified and also accept credit cards on ebay
via paypal system.

I use a dedicated savings account at the credit union
for my paypal transactions, so no danger of anything
going wrong with my personal checking account.

sorry you lost out on a good deal, on the bright side,
if somebody was attempting to use your paypal account
they would not have succeeded.

73 james
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 10:03:16 PM »

I do not understand. I have a verified PayPal account and have had one for more then 10 years. I never had a problem such as the one you described. I will keep on the lookout just in case. If this happens, it would be good by PayPal and good by EBay. Why would they change your verified to unverified, does not make any sense.

73s

K2OWK
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 03:07:08 PM »

hi,

with all the mega bank mergers that have taken place,
any chance your account number has changed
or bank card on file has expired?

that may have caused your paypal account to go unverified.

73 james
N1IN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 07:32:20 AM »

With a retiree's limited amount to spend I'm very meticulous about credit card transactions AND monitoring outstanding accounts. Everything was in order here.
My beef is with PayPal for failure to recognize my unblemished credit record over quite a few years of doing business with them. That's how credit  bureaus rate you: by performance over time. My beef with Buy.Com is refusing the alternative payment I
offered--via a personal credit card--even though that was an option in the original transaction. In publicizing the situation I'm just trying to strike a blow against the way commercial bureaucracies dismiss us little customers as nothing more than numbers in a database.  Who speaks up for us any more?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 04:44:57 PM »

With a retiree's limited amount to spend I'm very meticulous about credit card transactions AND monitoring outstanding accounts. Everything was in order here.
My beef is with PayPal for failure to recognize my unblemished credit record over quite a few years of doing business with them. That's how credit  bureaus rate you: by performance over time. My beef with Buy.Com is refusing the alternative payment I
offered--via a personal credit card--even though that was an option in the original transaction. In publicizing the situation I'm just trying to strike a blow against the way commercial bureaucracies dismiss us little customers as nothing more than numbers in a database.  Who speaks up for us any more?

I think something changed at bank that you are unaware of. PayPal is not singling you out. To limit fraud payments are matched against banks and shipping addresses. I had PayPal reject one of my CC's that was working fine till then. Turned out bank changed something in routing and card would not work with PayPal anymore until info was deleted from Paypal and then re-entered and re verified.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KK5J

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 10:56:33 AM »

Paypal did this to me also. They want you to verify your address through a process whereby they send you a code by mail, you get on the internet and enter it, verifying your address. This is part of their "verified" program. You can call them by phone and address that issue. Beware of emails asking you to go to a website and give up your credit info. These are going around in spammed emails right now, probably taking advantage of Paypals new verified protocols.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 04:03:13 PM »

Sorry to hear this but believe me a lot has changed in the last 2 years, the Amount of desperate con artists out there has gone up 10 fold.  People are now resorting to all sorts of crooked schemes to get free stuff so it's no surprise that PayPal has tightened up on security.
W2WDX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 12:25:33 PM »

OK You guys don't understand. First of all it doesn't matter how long you have used PayPal. And PayPal is not a credit issuer, they operate more like bank and a bank account. And how many bank accounts have you gotten by not verifying who you are? If they have no way to verify who you are (and unlike a bank they will do this), then they make the option available for merchants to not accept payments from non-verified PayPal users. It is the merchant that chooses this option, not PayPal.

For PayPal, anyone can go onto their site fill out the information, give a card number (a prepaid like a Greendot card will work BTW) and say they are Joe Blow from Oshkosh. However until they can verify you are Joe Blow via a real financial institution like a bank or credit issuer who have to gather photo ID in person, bills addressed in your name to the address you gave them and the left finger of your first born, PayPal cannot guarantee to a merchant you are totally secure to sell to.

Also the "verified thing" has been on PayPal since day one. I have been verified on PayPal since 1998 and have made to date over 10,000 transaction in and out. I have never had any problem nor any money not going out or coming in in any way I didn't authorize. I also use the PayPal debit card. It's not their fault you do not read the first thing shown on the very top of the page on your account overview page which is whether or not you are verified.

Also the credit card offer has a button on the bottom that says "continue" since it is only an ad (and it says that its an ad), not the page for verifying an account. PayPal has always asked to link to a bank account or a credit card (any card) to get verified. And the only way PayPal can remove money from a bank account or credit/debit card is if you select it be a back-up method of payment if you have no PayPal balance. Otherwise they can not take money if you make your PayPal balance the only way to make payments by PayPal.

And as a merchant, PayPal costs me a little more than half of what my credit processing machine cost to process CC and Debit Card transactions.

You want to make sure your money gets stolen from your credit or debit card. Give your card number to a person over the phone to buy something. That is the number one way credit card fraud is done. Second is handing it to someone in person at a store or restaurants and they walk away with it to process it out of your sight. In both cases, all they have to do is write down all the numbers including the CV number and they can use your card to buy stuff online. The least common type of credit fraud is online and especially via PayPal. No human ever sees your information at any point, only you.

The thing about PayPal, just like anything financial, is you actually have to take the time to read the information they provide about what, how and why they do things.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:59:09 PM by W2WDX » Logged

WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 12:51:09 PM »

You do realize you're answering a post that was made 2 years ago, don't you?   Huh
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 05:09:58 AM »

You do realize you're answering a post that was made 2 years ago, don't you?

Still good information and supports my own experience with PayPal.  I'm not particularly financially adept and, still, I have not had a problem with PayPal.  I read their instructions, call them if I don't understand, and do what they recommend and, so far, its worked well.  However, if that should ever change, I'll be one of the first to make my experience known.
Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: