Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AES Amateur Electronic Supply  (Read 34582 times)
K7RNO

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2013, 04:42:16 PM »

All I needed was a specific SMA-BNC adapter, the one from Diamond. A $10 item (and well worth it).

Many of the obvious sources had it in stock and were willing to sell it—and the best shipping option they offered was $9.97 or something ridiculously high for such a simple shipment. AES saved the day: they also offer a ~$3.50 shipping option. May take a day longer, but so what!

I don't mind paying for shipping (there is no free lunch!), but I do mind being taken for a ride.

Thank you AES!

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 08:50:15 AM »

I buy lots of small, light items such as resistors, capacitors and semiconductors that could easily be thrown in a padded envelope and dropped in the mail for a buck and a half as suppliers USED to do.  NOT ANY MORE! 
As you found out, most suppliers try to hit you with a "minimum" shipping charge, usually in the ten to twelve dollar range.  I suspect that the shipping companies are behind this in one way or another, "prohibiting" their customers from using alternative shipping methods (such as the padded envelope) as a part of their contract with the vendor.  If this is, in fact, the case, its not really the seller that's to blame for this sad state of affairs but, rather, the shipping companies in furtherance of their insatiable greed.
When I encounter this situation, I now tell the supplier to cancel the order "for now" until I can add sufficient items to make the minimum shipping charge justifiable.  My last order for small parts stayed on the "wish list" for almost a year and a half until I needed some larger items (this time, a replacement soldering handpiece) that would make the shipping charges reasonable.  Obviously, the suppliers don't like this (and neither do I) but I refuse to be held hostage by the shipping companies any longer.
CONGRATULATIONS TO AES for their willingness to put the customer first.  This is a new experience for me to hear about.  I have never before encountered a vendor willing to buck the shippers to assist their customer.  Maybe the start of a trend?  I hope so.
Tom
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 09:40:57 AM »

I hear you regarding the possibility of shipping companies' strangle hold on rates and freedom of using alternative methods. Not sure if it is the full story, though.

Smiley antenna (the mfg.) is another vendor that offers reasonable shipping. I was charged around $5 for priority mail shipping when I ordered an HT antenna. HRO wanted the minimum $10 S&H fee, and when I questioned them why so much for a "pencil", they said it is to cover all cost, box, handling, and all. When I bought my HT from them, with some other stuff, it was free shipping (because over their value minimum), and it all came in a beat-up, reused (i.e., not new) box. I appreciate reusing a lot! But in light of charging $10 for shipping a "pencil", I was not a fan. So I ordered that antenna from Diamond directly.

When people complain about the USPS having to cut cost and service, they tend to forget that the USPS is bound to cover ALL of the country, including highly unlucrative rural areas, while the UPSs of this world pick and choose the lucrative locations only. No wonder they can be cheaper.

Okay, rant over.

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 04:03:29 PM »

hi,

USPS can only increase domestic postal rates to keep up with inflation,
by law, UPS and FedEx and any other companies can set their rates as
they wish.

I use USPS Priority for 99% of the stuff I trade and when I buy from Mouser.

73 james
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 06:50:25 PM »

When people complain about the USPS having to cut cost and service, they tend to forget that the USPS is bound to cover ALL of the country, including highly unlucrative rural areas, while the UPSs of this world pick and choose the lucrative locations only. No wonder they can be cheaper.

UPS has delivered to all U.S. addresses for decades.  Yes, they will charge a fee for a remote location, but they haven't excluded any U.S. destinations for quite some time.  One of the reasons you get such good service with Priority Mail is that it's handled by FedEx on the express shipment side.  The USPS eats the added cost, and that's one reason why they're in such bad shape.....this is not sustainable.  Due by the end on the month, the USPS will renew their express shipments contract with FedEx and quite possibly will be adding UPS in a shared arrangement with FedEx, or there is even a very remote possibility that UPS could get it exclusively.  Either way, the fees charged by the USPS for Priority shipments won't sustain it as is.....the fees must go up.
WA8KIW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 07:14:48 PM »

Word has it that AES will not be at Dayton this year.  Can anyone confirm that?
N8FZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 12:05:03 PM »

HRO would love that  Grin
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 07:31:23 AM »

In the Milwaukee store recently, and the counter guy said: "see you in Dayton" as I left.  

FWIW.

N8GD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 03:22:08 PM »

No, AES will NOT be at the Dayton Hamvention this year.  This comes from two sources:  Matt Welch (SEC for Ohio Section)  who is a salesman for AES's Wickliffe, Ohio store (Cleveland area) announced that AES will not be at the 2013 Hamvention during the March 16th ARES conference in Columbus, Ohio, before 85 ARES leadership personnel.  A local friend of mine didn't believe me, so he called AES's Milwaukee headquarters and talked to their head (whoever that may be) and they confirmed that AES would NOT be there.  So, if the guy heard "see you in Dayton" at the Milwaukee store from an employee, that employee must be going as an individual and will not be manning the AES booth!
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 09:23:48 AM »

I just ordered some items from HRO and mentioned that I heard that AES was not going to be at Dayton this year. The reply was "that is correct, and infact HRO will expand their booth and also have what was the AES booth".  So it looks like HRO will have one heck of a showing at Dayton in May.

John
KB8UUZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 12:29:23 PM »

According to the Hamvention site:

in 2012 AES had 4 spots: HA0026 HA0027 HA0028 HA0029

For 2013:
HyGain took HA0026
Avmap Navigation took HA0027
Alpha Antennas took HA0028
Internet Labs, Inc. took HA0029

HRO still has the same booths as they did last year: HA0020 HA0021 HA0022 HA0023
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 08:09:40 AM »

No, AES will NOT be at the Dayton Hamvention this year.  This comes from two sources:  Matt Welch (SEC for Ohio Section)  who is a salesman for AES's Wickliffe, Ohio store (Cleveland area) announced that AES will not be at the 2013 Hamvention during the March 16th ARES conference in Columbus, Ohio, before 85 ARES leadership personnel.  A local friend of mine didn't believe me, so he called AES's Milwaukee headquarters and talked to their head (whoever that may be) and they confirmed that AES would NOT be there.  So, if the guy heard "see you in Dayton" at the Milwaukee store from an employee, that employee must be going as an individual and will not be manning the AES booth!

Well OK....quite an investigative work of yours, congratulations.  

Yawn....whoop-dee-doo.  More biz for HRO.  Life as we know it will go on.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 09:01:24 AM by K9MHZ » Logged
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 10:09:51 AM »

I always check Amazon, they have a large number of electronics related items, and their shipping charges are reasonable if you have a Prime membership.  I just obtained a set of Seinheiser headphone pads from AMAZON  which the Senheiser factory  website  didn't  acknowledge existed.   OEM, from West Germany. 
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 08:58:05 PM »

No, AES will NOT be at the Dayton Hamvention this year.  This comes from two sources:  Matt Welch (SEC for Ohio Section)  who is a salesman for AES's Wickliffe, Ohio store (Cleveland area) announced that AES will not be at the 2013 Hamvention during the March 16th ARES conference in Columbus, Ohio, before 85 ARES leadership personnel.  A local friend of mine didn't believe me, so he called AES's Milwaukee headquarters and talked to their head (whoever that may be) and they confirmed that AES would NOT be there.  So, if the guy heard "see you in Dayton" at the Milwaukee store from an employee, that employee must be going as an individual and will not be manning the AES booth!

Well OK....quite an investigative work of yours, congratulations.  

Yawn....whoop-dee-doo.  More biz for HRO.  Life as we know it will go on.

I guess the level of interest that K9MHZ has in a post, is the standard by which a post on eHam needs to be graded.  Roll Eyes

John W5JON
N4FBW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 10:30:18 PM »

This is off-topic but for those who want electronic parts shipped cheaply and quickly Digikey, Mouser, and All Electronics all offer USPS shipping rates which are inexpensive and fast.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: