Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AES Amateur Electronic Supply  (Read 31456 times)
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 04:47:38 PM »

I am always looking for the company that has cheap shipping on small parts.  The worst case I ever had was MFJ when they charged me $5 to ship a $3 fiber adjustment tool that was supposed to come with the amp.  They then shipped it in an envelope with a 45 cent stamp on it and it arrived POSTAGE DUE!

Sam
W9KDX
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 06:58:13 PM »

I am always looking for the company that has cheap shipping on small parts.  The worst case I ever had was MFJ when they charged me $5 to ship a $3 fiber adjustment tool that was supposed to come with the amp.  They then shipped it in an envelope with a 45 cent stamp on it and it arrived POSTAGE DUE!

Lol that story alone is just about worth the $5
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 07:26:59 PM »

LOL...dittos!
WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 06:06:40 PM »

AES not being at Dayton makes me think they are not doing well financially. If you are a supposed big company in the ham market and you're not a Dayton, does not say much good about the future prospects for AES. Not showing up at Dayton speaks volumes. Suggest other hams consider a new source for their equipment.
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 03:46:13 AM »

AES not being at Dayton makes me think they are not doing well financially. If you are a supposed big company in the ham market and you're not a Dayton, does not say much good about the future prospects for AES. Not showing up at Dayton speaks volumes. Suggest other hams consider a new source for their equipment.

This is nonsense.  More and more vendors are finding out the expenditure in time and resources is wasted when going to Dayton.  That is why Dayton is dwindling each year.
K7LA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 02:53:58 PM »

As a sidebar item, long time AES Las Vegas store manager Luke KK7XX has left the company and is now working for HRO in the administrative office in Danville, CA.  I saw Luke this past weekend at the Visalia International DX Convention working the HRO sales booth and had a nice chat with him.   Grin
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 03:26:57 PM »

I buy from AES because Paul in Milwaukee has always taken the time to answer my crazy e-mail questions. When I need an answer he gets it for me then I buy what I need to buy from them. I have never met him in person but he handles my questions and gives me the right anwsers. Now as soon as I can afford the TS-990 I will let him know!
K5XS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 02:58:02 PM »

This is nonsense.  More and more vendors are finding out the expenditure in time and resources is wasted when going to Dayton.  That is why Dayton is dwindling each year.

According to this http://hamgallery.com/gallery/D/hamvention.htm attendance has been up every year since 2008. 
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 03:56:51 PM »

I can only give an anecdotal report of my last visits to AES in Milwaukee over the course of a week in Feb.  The phone rang constantly with hams ordering items.  The counter help was so frazzled with all of the activity, they had to let the phone ring just to get to the customers in the store.  I don't know what AES you're describing, but it surely wasn't the AES I saw doing business.

WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2013, 06:06:22 AM »

Yeah, people used to say Enron wasn't going under and looked how that turned out.

Having the phone ringing does not necessarily translate into a successful business. Just says you get a lot of calls.

I have no idea how they are doing financially, but when you don't attend the largest ham radio convention in the country, it speaks volumes. You can make your own assumptions.

I will only deal with companies who show up at Dayton. Demonstrates they are truly in the market, care about hams, want to meet with their customers across the country, and are viable.

K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2013, 10:05:38 AM »

Yeah, people used to say Enron wasn't going under and looked how that turned out.
Having the phone ringing does not necessarily translate into a successful business. Just says you get a lot of calls.
I have no idea how they are doing financially.......

No you don't.  But the "advice" above to not use them seemed pretty definite in your mind.  Also saw that you don't like R&L, either.  Too much "dust" there, eh?

Wow, how weird.    WB8"NUT".....LOL.

SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2013, 05:09:35 AM »

According to this http://hamgallery.com/gallery/D/hamvention.htm attendance has been up every year since 2008. 

I meant the number of vendors are dwindling each year regardless of attendance.  Also, the flea market continues to dwindle each year.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 03:52:38 AM »

The current (and continuing) slump in the economy may just have something to do with the dwindling attendances of dealers and flea market sellers too.  People just don't have the scratch to play with anymore, especially people who have had their incomes cut or simply reduced.  That is also something the dealers/sellers think of when planning.  Also there is the increasing popularity of internet sales for this sort of thing.

It's just a couple of other factors to consider.
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 06:04:35 AM »

What does AES know that none of the other major vendors do not know?  Often being present at a show/convention is not only about sales, but viability of the company. It does not look like "attendance is dwindling" to me.
 Dayton Hamvention Attendance:  
2006: 20,324 (ARRL Newsletter)
2007: 19,318 (K4KL, ARRL Newsletter)
2008: 17,250 (ARRL Newsletter, Friday rain but sunny overall) (Hamvention Reflector Stats 6-29-08)
2009: 18,877 (K4KL, ARRL Newsletter, rain late Saturday afternoon for short while)
2010: 19,750. (ARRL Newsletter, mostly sunny, pleasant weekend)
2011: 22,312 (Dayton Hamvention direct query - WA8APB) Sunny and warm all 3 days, upper 70's to lower 80's.
2012: 24,483 (DARA Meeting) The weather for this year was very pleasant with temperatures in the 80's and sunny all 3 days.

John
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 06:50:05 AM by W5JON » Logged
V47JA

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2013, 02:16:25 PM »

Maybe to a "SWL' the attendance is is "dwindling", but the numbers sure do not show it.  Looks like Dayton is alive and well.

See you there.

John
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: