Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: P5/K6VVA Udate  (Read 1729 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2013, 06:58:18 PM »

(I type about as bad as I send CW Roll Eyes........ Sorry, it should be UPdate.

(from DX World)

http://dx-world.net/2013/p5-cw-only-iota-as-197-project/

73, Gene AF3Y
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 04:11:49 PM »

I hope he can get this together, but with my current antenna farm (wires and a soon to be erected 40m vertical) I am not sure I could hear him. But still hope he can get this together and maybe it will open the door for other hams to be able to operate there.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 04:43:55 PM »

4 days and cw only will not be mother-of-all pileups,but it will be the great-grandmother-of-all-pileups.
NA will be at a disadvantage.

1 Q and i am out. Hope the logs can be updated realtime via satellite.  Grin

Krish
w4vku
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 04:58:37 PM »

4 days and cw only will not be mother-of-all pileups,but it will be the great-grandmother-of-all-pileups.

Krish
w4vku

The insanity would be breathtaking.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 06:30:05 PM »

I love this hobby, I love DXing, but I don't know if I would even try for that one.  Unless I had a monster antenna and was West Coast, it would be tough to do.  Maybe wait until reunification and P5 gets deleted
YO3GJC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 06:57:10 AM »

wishfull thinking...realtime log...I am thinking also for some sort of 247 live shack video streaming over the internet loooool

Krish
w4vku
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 07:33:40 AM »

I am thinking also for some sort of 247 live shack video streaming over the internet loooool

I'd prefer the DXA...

Jonathan W6GX
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 08:52:46 AM »

Well, Can you imagine the insurance QSO issues in the absence of realtime confirmation?
-Krish
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 04:31:17 AM »

Krish
w4vku

West Coast NA would have a big advantage, but I doubt we will see this activated anytime soon. The situation there and everything . . . .
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 04:33:23 PM »

P5 Activation will never happen anytime soon and if by some miracle a one man operation was to go there for 4 days he would never make the amount of QSOs that he mentions in that article.  He's comparing his regular contest speed with P5  Grin The fact is that the amount of QRM he would encounter would slow his rate to a crawl.

Second problem is Japan Ops would easily get all the QSO's, after all 9000 (LOL) QSO's would be a drop in the bucket for JA alone.   And while I admit the Japanese are some of the most disciplined operators.  I have witnessed them on a few occasions go off into the same "I don't care I need the contact" mode as many other Hams.

Overall my verdict is chances of the actual operation is Slim to None and if it does happen the chances of anyone from NA making a contact is about the same as hitting a hole in one in Golf.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 04:56:35 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 08:03:42 PM »

Overall my verdict is chances of the actual operation is Slim to None and if it does happen the chances of anyone from NA making a contact is about the same as hitting a hole in one in Golf.

In 1999, Golf Digest reported, "One insurance company puts a PGA Tour pro's chances at 1 in 3,756 and an amateur's at 1 in 12,750." 

I'd say the odds for a pro are much more accurate since there is better record keeping than with weekend golfers.

There is a company based in Vegas which will sell insurance for those running "Hole-In-One" contests.  For the professionals the prize is usually a new car and we have had local contests where the prize was a new car although not as valuable as the cars a Pro competes for.  They also sell insurance for other athletic feats like making a basketball shot from half court or a hockey goal from center ice. 

The odds of working a P5 expedition would depend upon how long they operate, how many stations they have going, the quality of the antennas they are using, and the solar conditions at the time of activation.

Chris/NU1O
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 03:41:29 PM »

In 1999, Golf Digest reported, "One insurance company puts a PGA Tour pro's chances at 1 in 3,756 and an amateur's at 1 in 12,750." 

I'd say the odds for a pro are much more accurate since there is better record keeping than with weekend golfers.

There is a company based in Vegas which will sell insurance for those running "Hole-In-One" contests.  For the professionals the prize is usually a new car and we have had local contests where the prize was a new car although not as valuable as the cars a Pro competes for.  They also sell insurance for other athletic feats like making a basketball shot from half court or a hockey goal from center ice. 

The odds of working a P5 expedition would depend upon how long they operate, how many stations they have going, the quality of the antennas they are using, and the solar conditions at the time of activation.

Chris/NU1O

I am basing it on the 4 day one operator operation per the info that he has given.  With that being the situation then your typical QRO operator with even a good Antenna is going to have about the same odds as a hole in one.  Anybody else has about as much chance as winning the lottery.  If he does pull it off I doubt I will even try to listen for him.  All the Hams will be thinking the same thing, Wake up early, work the grey line etc etc.  Every trick known by America and EU Hams will be used but in the end the whole thing is going to be a QRM fest with the JA stations getting the lions share of contacts.
This DXpedition is a nice gesture but in the end it lacks the man power and length of time to make even a small dent in the demand and because of that the whole thing will lead to massive frustration which always leads to massive QRM.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: