Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile Mounts  (Read 3093 times)
K3CXG

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2013, 07:11:46 PM »

Looking for a recommendation for a mobile mount for hamstick clones for my 2006 Nissan Sentra.  I found out the hard way that one 5 1/2" mag mount fails at over 50 mph.  I'm considering a three-magnet mount (ugly!) or a trunk lip mount.  With all due respect to K0BG, I'm not drilling any holes for this. Any suggestions? Inquiring minds want to know... Huh

Tnx 73 Mike K3CXG
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 10:58:28 PM »

A magnet mount (if it is big enough) will work, the same way you can fry an egg on a brick.  ANY solid mount is likely to be better, IMO.  I used a trunk lid mount for years with  big American sedans; my last two cars (tiny Oriental econoboxes) have had bumper-level mounts.  I've found that even with a good solid metal-to-metal connection, I've still needed to run braided straps from the antenna mount to a few points on the car's chassis.  I'd look into a solid mount instead of a magnet mount, if you have the choice.   Feel free to email off list if you want to discuss more.  GL!
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 05:40:12 AM »

Why are you so against drilling a hole for a proper mount?  You own a fairly generic car that is eight years old. I don't understand the logic behind your apprehension.  I've drilled holes in every car I've owned, and when I sold them or traded them, nobody ever mentioned the fact there was an antenna mount on the vehicle. 

I can say, that on the one vehicle where I did use a mag mount, the magnet tore up the paint pretty bad, and I tried it all to try to prevent the damage.  After that experience, I started using hole mounts, now I wouldn't use any thing else, except maybe a special mount for the larger screwdriver antennas.

M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 06:04:45 AM »

I can say, that on the one vehicle where I did use a mag mount, the magnet tore up the paint pretty bad, and I tried it all to try to prevent the damage.  After that experience, I started using hole mounts, now I wouldn't use any thing else, except maybe a special mount for the larger screwdriver antennas.

I used a triple magmount with a Little Tarheel and whilst the magmounts didn't tear up the paint, the coax flapping about did.

The biggest problem with the magmounts though was common mode current. On 80m it was so bad that if I keyed up with more than 50W it reset my radio. Drilled a hole and never looked back. I could put 200W through the antenna on 80m and not a hint of common mode.

Mike, you're against drilling a hole in an 8 year old car. I had no hesitation in drilling a hole in the roof of a 2 year old Mondeo I bought last year. Come resale time I'll fill the hole with a colour matched shark fin style GPS/DAB antenna, re-route the co-ax to behind the dash and sell it as an extra feature.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 06:14:19 AM »

If you insist on no holes, one of the options open to you is attachment to a frame member under the car with a mount point in the rear of the bumper.  That may still involve drilling, however, but in a place where drilling can't be seen--or would be noticed.  You would have to be careful, however, that the mount did not stick out too far--check state laws about trailer hitches if you're not sure.
AJ3O

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 07:32:59 AM »

If you insist on no holes, one of the options open to you is attachment to a frame member under the car with a mount point in the rear of the bumper.  That may still involve drilling, however, but in a place where drilling can't be seen--or would be noticed.  You would have to be careful, however, that the mount did not stick out too far--check state laws about trailer hitches if you're not sure.

If you go this route, watch out for cabling/fuel lines run through the frame members or directly behind what you are drilling.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 03:31:21 PM »

2006 Nissan Sentra. Kelly Blue Book hovers around $10,000 for an outright sale, and about $7,000 as a trade in. This assumes it is an SE-R with less than 25,000 miles on the OD. Do you really think a hole is going to drop that by half? My 2006 Honda Ridgeline is worth twice that (50k, leather, and Navi), and there are holes all over it!

In due respect.....

Far too many amateurs assume that drilling holes, or a lack of spousal approval, an active lease document, depreciation value, or other mundane reason is an excuse for not doing a job correctly. In my book, it isn't. Improper mounting causes all sorts of maladies. All one has to do is look right here on this mobile forum to prove that point. Yet, the stigma continues.

If you want to see what folks used to do, see this photo: http://www.k0bg.com/images/history/may61.jpg

By the way, this mount was installed on an Oldsmobile, a way above average cost automobile at the time (≈1961).

KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 07:39:45 PM »

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.623659244327917.1073741825.100000515406352&type=1&l=625a028adf

BUT, it only has 300 miles on it.
K3CXG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 12:54:03 PM »

Thanks to all, including Alan.  Lots of good info, especially on his site.  Might drill, after all.
W9MMS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 02:24:48 AM »

Thanks to all, including Alan.  Lots of good info, especially on his site.  Might drill, after all.
Have you given any thoughts to a Multi Band Antenna?
Why limit yourself to just one band?
Invest in a good Screwdriver, mount it securely (drill baby drill) and get it over with
once and for all.

Just my $0.02 worth.

((((73)))) Milverton.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 11:33:43 AM »

Screwdriver antenna!! The best way to HF mobil.  No stopping to change bands. Can tune to lowest SRW in any portion of band and if you are real lazy you can get one of those new fangeled push the button for which band you want to goto thingymabobbers.  Sewe MFJ or Ameritron.
Have fun and good luck with what decide.

73 de Rick  wn2c
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: