Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HV0A Vatican  (Read 3251 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2013, 10:17:01 AM »

Don't look now, but a whole bunch of Italian spotters are spotting that he is a fraud and fake.

Is this accurate, as this is the first I saw of this?
VE3YF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 10:26:30 AM »

Don't look now, but a whole bunch of Italian spotters are spotting that he is a fraud and fake.

Is this accurate, as this is the first I saw of this?

QRZ lists the address as the Vatican, yet the QRZ map shows it outside the Vatican. Could be a mapping error. In my opinion it is in the Vatican hence the HV callsign...

73 De Mike
VE3YF
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 10:45:39 AM »

HV0A is a valid callsign for the Vatican.  The question is whether it's a pirate or not.  Francisco probably lives in Rome but he travels to the Vatican to use the callsign HV0A.  As long as the flag on QRZ says Vatican then it's the Vatican.

Jonathan W6GX
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 10:51:36 AM »

HV0A is a valid callsign for the Vatican.  The question is whether it's a pirate or not.  Francisco probably lives in Rome but he travels to the Vatican to use the callsign HV0A.  As long as the flag on QRZ says Vatican then it's the Vatican.

Jonathan W6GX

Well, that is the thing. I am not questioning the call sign. I am wondering if the op is Francisco or not.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 11:01:49 AM »

Jonathan W6GX

Well, that is the thing. I am not questioning the call sign. I am wondering if the op is Francisco or not.

Well, does he sound like Francisco Grin  I'll forgive you if this is the first time you have ever heard him.  You could try google HV0A and I'm sure someone has recorded his voice.  Did you work him?  One way to find out for sure is to send an email to Francisco.  No one here can guarantee if it's a pirate or not.  Only Francisco could.

Jonathan W6GX
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 11:48:01 AM »

Have not worked him. Sounded like the same guy I heard the last couple times. Wondering if there were some disgruntled neighbors.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 12:04:48 PM »

According to what I heard on TV the other day, the hamshack is just outside of Vatican
City.

Allen KA5N

PS  worked him on 28.515 MHZ    and he said his name was Fransisco and he was OUTSIDE
of the Vatican   band  was pretty noisy.

Allen
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 12:34:40 PM by KA5N » Logged
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 12:40:54 PM »

According to what I heard on TV the other day, the hamshack is just outside of Vatican
City.

Allen KA5N

PS  worked him on 28.515 MHZ    and he said his name was Fransisco and he was OUTSIDE
of the Vatican   band  was pretty noisy.

Allen

Then it does it count? Regardless of his call.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 01:00:52 PM »

I did some research on the exact location of HV0A's transmitter and this is what I found.  Using three sources (QSL card, Google Earth, and a Youtube video) I was able to locate the antenna.

Source 1: HV0A's QSL card: "HV0A is located in the extraterritorial zone of the Pontifical North American College, Vatican City State, about half a mile south-east from Saint Peter's Basilica.
Source 2: Youtube video by Francisco: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGQ2eBefH_M
Source 3: you could see the tower/antenna on the SW corner of the university building.

I don't know where the border of Vatican is.  Perhaps someone could enlighten me on that.

I also see two massive LPDA antennas just west of the Basilica.  I wonder what that is used for.

Jonathan W6GX
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 01:11:03 PM »

IIRC the HV0 shack is outside of the walls but still considered part of Vatican City. It's in some kind of Annex area or something.

ex W4HFK
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 02:01:36 PM »

The Vactican has several enclaves in and around Rome. This link might help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Properties_of_the_Holy_See
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 04:40:34 PM »

Guys...guys....guys!!!!....I thought this was mentioned in another thread...HV0A is not physically located within the Vatican walls.....It is located in the North American Pontifical College, which was mentioned in this thread above, and can be verified by watching the You Tube video that Francesco made, also mentioned in this thread above.....The Vatican station was always located there, even back in the HV3SJ days....do a google search on HV3SJ and you will see....Also, to put to rest anyone's fears, the station DOES count for the Vatican.....the station is located on what is considered Vatican property.....Like if there was an operation from Castle Gandolfo.....Located south of Rome, in Italy, but technially still Vatican property.....As long as there is an HV prefix and the property belongs to the church, it counts for the Vatican.....But don't take my word for it....E-mail Francesco and ask him....I am sure you will get a response....

V
KA3NRX

P.S.  I took the liberty some time ago to highlight where HV0A/HV4NAC actually are on the wikimapia.org page.....go and see for yourself at the following link:

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=41.9&lon=12.46&z=16&l=0&m=s&v=9

and under map type, scroll down to "wikimapia classic"...mouse over to the south east of the vatican until you find the NA college, and zoom in.....you will see the antennas on the roof.....
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 05:26:41 PM »

woops...My bad....forgive me....HV3SJ was NOT located in the Pontifical College....Just did a search as my curiosity got the better of me....the old HV3SJ station used to be located in the headquarters of the Jesuits...aka the Society of Jesus, hence forth the SJ in the call....the Jesuits hq is also located just outside the walls of the actual Vatican proper.....and those LPDA antennas you see in there used to be for Vatican Radio broadcasts....I think anyway...don't quote me on that.....If you look to the northwest of St. Pete's, you will see a big huge tower on top of a large stone building....that is where Vatican Radio and TV studios are housed.......

V
KA3NRX

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 05:32:10 PM by KA3NRX » Logged
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 07:13:32 PM »

Well, it was obviously legit...I got confirmation over the weekend via LoTW so anybody who didn't want to wade into the pileups thinking 'pirate' lost out Smiley

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
WA2VUY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 08:31:53 PM »

HV trivia: back in 1982 there was a special diploma from the Vatican that entailed working THREE different HV stations to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Radio Vaticana (short wave station). I worked HV1CN, HV2VO and HV3SJ.

It was very beautiful but the award is on beautiful paper in the papal colors with drawings of the popes.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: